Frustrating Tournament

Golfin Rev

Reaction score
Handicap
I don't know if you're anything like me, but I can often shoot in the high 70's, low 80's, and then when it's tourney time, my game goes bye bye. Yesterday was the SCGA Am Net qualifier at my home course, a course that in my last round I shot a legit 75 and played great. It started off awesome. Even with first tee jitters I drove it down 270 and had 128 for my second shot. Then, the party began. I hit my pitching wedge thin, and it flew the green, hit the cart path behind the hole, and left me 50 yards from the hole, with two massive trees in front of me. I have to hit a low shot, and do, but it gets the curb of that same cart path! Ended up with a 6. A few holes later, I have a two hole stretch where I shoot 7 over par. On TWO HOLES!!! So I shot a 50 on the front 9. But I'm a grinder, and even though I know I'm out of contention for one of the qualifying slots, I challenged myself to keep going and play well.

On the back 9 I shot 4 over, and played relatively well. I actually had the lowest score on the back 9 of my group. That front 9 though is what killed me, and that's how it's been in every tournament I've been in.

Until next time!

Since I've started playing in some bigger local tournaments and mini-tour events I've learned something. There's Golf, and then there's Tournament Golf. They look the same but the game is different.

Since I've started playing in some bigger local tournaments and mini-tour events I've learned something. There's Golf, and then there's Tournament Golf. They look the same but the game is different.

:drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks: Maybe a few before it all starts to calm the nerves

Great comeback on the back nine!!

Well said my friend. You can't simulate the nerves you get with tournament golf.

I always think that tournament play is the true testament of one's game. Eliminate the comfort zone of your normal playing partners, get the nerves in play, and a person's true game shines through.

Good you see you shook off the shaky start and posted a good score on the back 9!

Maybe because I've been playing in handicap competitions for more than 20 years, but for me it's no different. I feel the same pressure on a 3 foot putt in a casual round as I do in a tournament. I've shot my personal best 73, and a 103 (my worst round in the last 28 years), both in the club championship on different years, and the bad round was 2 years after the best round. I can play good or bad at any time, without prior notice.

One thing that I do, even in casual play, even if I'm alone on the course, I still play with the same routine, and by the rules of golf in all except a few very rare practice rounds. That's usually just my first round or two at the start of each season to scrub off the winter rust.

Well said my friend. You can't simulate the nerves you get with tournament golf.

If you want to simulate nerves of tournament golf. Your play and practice need to have consequences. When you play practice or casual rounds put something on the round to add extra pressure. It can be anything that makes you take the round serious. Cash games can be one way. Playing for greens fees, lunch, dinner, or round of drinks can be another.

Maybe because I've been playing in handicap competitions for more than 20 years, but for me it's no different. I feel the same pressure on a 3 foot putt in a casual round as I do in a tournament. I've shot my personal best 73, and a 103 (my worst round in the last 28 years), both in the club championship on different years, and the bad round was 2 years after the best round. I can play good or bad at any time, without prior notice.

One thing that I do, even in casual play, even if I'm alone on the course, I still play with the same routine, and by the rules of golf in all except a few very rare practice rounds. That's usually just my first round or two at the start of each season to scrub off the winter rust.

I'm the same way. Every round I play, I pretty much try to play as if it counts. I've been playing in golf competitions since I started playing. It's the primary reason I even play golf, because it's the only sport I can be 'competitive' in anymore. I love the game, and I love to get out on the course to play... but I'm always playing for something.

The only time I DON'T play the ball down is if I'm in a competition that states otherwise, in which case... I'm going to take advantage of the rules just as everybody else is. There's no such thing as a gimme or a mulligan when I'm playing. I want to score my best and learn to get myself out of trouble, because I certainly find my way into it often enough.

All that said... I tend to play both my best AND my worst golf during tournaments. My casual rounds, with a few exceptions, are typically somewhere in the middle. My tournament rounds either bring out the best in me... or my absolute worst. One thing I have found is that the tournaments with more on the line (such as the two-day major tournaments with the Golfweek Amateur Tour)... I tend to play myself out of it on the first day and then rebound with a much lower round on the second day. I assume it's because of the tournament nerves I feel.

The more events you play in the better you'll become over time. It's all about calming yourself and knowing you're ready.

Way to fight back on the back 9 though. Once you were able to calm yourself and remove the pressure, you played well. Now, you just need to start off that way. I'm not saying you'll be able to take away the first tee nerves, but the you'll know how to calm yourself more the next time. Just like anything else, the more you get a chance to put yourself in that position, the better you'll handle it.

I agree. When I play tournaments the preparation is a week ahead, both in range work and mental preparation. However, when the day comes I just gut it out and forget about all the pressure.

I think it's a little about putting things in the right place. I can goof off in a friendly game and keep focused in a tournament, not the other way around.

But do keep going. Handling pressure is learned.

Yesterday was our monthly club tournament, and i went in with a much more relaxed feeling, and on the same course as Thursday went out and shot a 79!

Our desire to do well frequently gets in the way of playing our best. Repetition in events like this is the only way I ever found to help you perform even when we are nervous! Good luck!

I played in a tournament last year for the experience of the pressure, it was totally different and I loved it. I had to think more about where I want to be than just swinging for the green etc..

Good info here. I expect I will have a similar experience with tournament golf, something that will be new to me this year. I am signing up for 2 pro-ams, a course championship, and a flighted state tournament. I hope to do well, but my underlying goal is to gain experience and further benchmark where I need to improve. I love golf as a social and fun activity -- golf doesn't have to be more than that for me -- but also want to continue to improve my game and put it to the test. I will likely suck more than usual in tournaments, but the learning and experience will hopefully be a positive. I love challenge.

Played a Tournament yesterday and am pretty disappointed with my performance. Tee to green I played great, but inside of 50 yards I was garbage with the nerves and adrenaline. That's usually my strong suit so I left so many useless strokes out there.

Back