Needing some club advice

Smokey87

Reaction score
Handicap
Folks I need some advice, and I trust the peeps here at THP WAY more than I do any salesperson at Dick's Sporting Good's or any other location. My current clubs are bottom of the barrell, Prosimmon clubs that I know for a fact don't fit me. I am 6'2" with 38 inches from wrist to floor measurement (in case there's other golfers here with a similar build). I have been digging through the internet and issues of Golf and Golfweek magazine, and always come away with more questions than answers. As someone with a high handicap and limited budget, I would think I need some "game improvement" clubs, however everywhere I go I see mixed reviews on most clubs. What would you folks recommend? I know I need to get fitted clubs no matter the brand I buy, first and foremost. I cannot afford big name clubs like Callaway and TaylorMade (unless they make budget clubs that I have completely missed), and clubs like Dunlop and Top Flite are priced in the same range as my old Prosimmon clubs, so I don't imagine they would be any better. Wilson seems to have some good budget entries, but I cannot find much review info on them. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you! :D

As someone who is looking for the best bang for your buck I would look to see if you're able to find a set of Wilson D100 or DEFY set. The are very forgiving and won't break the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wilson/staff clubs are pretty awesome and get pretty good reviews, but I don't know that I would call them budget. I would suggest looking for some decent used clubs and then get them fit for you. I'm sure someone will step in some more in depth advice, but that's where I'd start.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Re price, you can go with name brand / big time OEMs, just stay a few cycles behind the current releases. You will be surprised at the discounts you can find. Keep an eye on the Deal of the Day thread on this forum for info on sales from all the sites.

The wilson/staff clubs are pretty awesome and get pretty good reviews, but I don't know that I would call them budget. I would suggest looking for some decent used clubs and then get them fit for you. I'm sure someone will step in some more in depth advice, but that's where I'd start.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

They aren't intended to be "budget", but their not carrying an "elite" name makes them far cheaper in the used market and prior releases are discounted much more deeply.

To the OP - if you're willing to buy used or will accept clubs that aren't the very latest, you can get set up for surprisingly little outlay. One good set to look for are Wilson Staff Ci11 (or Ci Chrome). You can find full sets for <$200

I'll sell you my Cleveland Classic XL driver, cheap. I can't hit the damn thing, maybe you'll have better luck.

They aren't intended to be "budget", but their not carrying an "elite" name makes them far cheaper in the used market and prior releases are discounted much more deeply.

To the OP - if you're willing to buy used or will accept clubs that aren't the very latest, you can get set up for surprisingly little outlay. One good set to look for are Wilson Staff Ci11 (or Ci Chrome). You can find full sets for <$200

I'm definitely willing to buy used and I def don't need the latest and greatest. Glad to see Wilsons have come up for recommendations, I like them as a brand and I'll def keep my eyes peeled for them.

Folks I need some advice, and I trust the peeps here at THP WAY more than I do any salesperson at Dick's Sporting Good's or any other location. My current clubs are bottom of the barrell, Prosimmon clubs that I know for a fact don't fit me. I am 6'2" with 38 inches from wrist to floor measurement (in case there's other golfers here with a similar build). I have been digging through the internet and issues of Golf and Golfweek magazine, and always come away with more questions than answers. As someone with a high handicap and limited budget, I would think I need some "game improvement" clubs, however everywhere I go I see mixed reviews on most clubs. What would you folks recommend? I know I need to get fitted clubs no matter the brand I buy, first and foremost. I cannot afford big name clubs like Callaway and TaylorMade (unless they make budget clubs that I have completely missed), and clubs like Dunlop and Top Flite are priced in the same range as my old Prosimmon clubs, so I don't imagine they would be any better. Wilson seems to have some good budget entries, but I cannot find much review info on them. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you! :D

If you find some club heads, I have 6 shafts that are +1.25" long

I am 6'2" with 38 inches from wrist to floor measurement

Does this concern any of the more experienced folks on here in terms of being able to get a used or prior year's set that fits? I'm 6'2" with 34" wrist/floor, and I just got fitted for clubs at +1/2" on the shaft. I think you're getting really good advice in terms of what to look for; I'm just not sure how successful you will be in finding them. It may take a while. If I were in your situation, I would also check into the following options:

• See if a local clubmaker may be able to get you into a fitted set within your budget. You may not have top of the line components, but you will have a fitted set. Personally, I'd rather have lower-end clubs that fit instead of shiny new brand-name ones that did not. I've bought a few clubs off the shelf or blindly over the internet (i.e., without trying them) and regretted it every time.
  • Look into Tour Edge. Their mid-range Hot Launch irons start around $400 list. I recommend trying them. I played a set of their mid-range irons and hybrids for 10 years and they served me very well.
Whatever you do, try before you buy. You can get guidance and advice from people like us, but you need to own the clubs that work for you. I just went through the process and, like you, read everything I could find. Based on that, I thought I was going to end up with last year's TaylorMade RSi 1 irons, Cobra F6, or Callaway XR. I wound up with something different once I hit them all.

Finally, there are a lot more experienced people on this topic here than I. They change clubs a lot; I do it roughly every ten years. You and I have that in common - so from experience, take your time and do it right. I have had much better results at a local golf center than at a big box store, but there are good and bad fitters everywhere.

Does this concern any of the more experienced folks on here in terms of being able to get a used or prior year's set that fits? I'm 6'2" with 34" wrist/floor, and I just got fitted for clubs at +1/2" on the shaft. I think you're getting really good advice in terms of what to look for; I'm just not sure how successful you will be in finding them. It may take a while. If I were in your situation, I would also check into the following options:

• See if a local clubmaker may be able to get you into a fitted set within your budget. You may not have top of the line components, but you will have a fitted set. Personally, I'd rather have lower-end clubs that fit instead of shiny new brand-name ones that did not. I've bought a few clubs off the shelf or blindly over the internet (i.e., without trying them) and regretted it every time.
  • Look into Tour Edge. Their mid-range Hot Launch irons start around $400 list. I recommend trying them. I played a set of their mid-range irons and hybrids for 10 years and they served me very well.
Whatever you do, try before you buy. You can get guidance and advice from people like us, but you need to own the clubs that work for you. I just went through the process and, like you, read everything I could find. Based on that, I thought I was going to end up with last year's TaylorMade RSi 1 irons, Cobra F6, or Callaway XR. I wound up with something different once I hit them all.

Finally, there are a lot more experienced people on this topic here than I. They change clubs a lot; I do it roughly every ten years. You and I have that in common - so from experience, take your time and do it right. I have had much better results at a local golf center than at a big box store, but there are good and bad fitters everywhere.

Thank you...very good advice there. I believe that is what I will end up doing, taking my time and making sure I get clubs that are absolutely fitted to me. Personally I believe that is the #1 thing holding me back right now, clubs that don't fit.

Thank you...very good advice there. I believe that is what I will end up doing, taking my time and making sure I get clubs that are absolutely fitted to me. Personally I believe that is the #1 thing holding me back right now, clubs that don't fit.
Use OEM online fitting tools to figure this out. As an example, Ping asks for the wrist to floor measurement and that's accounted for in the club recommendation that gets suggested to you. FWIW, you likely are looking at G or Karsten series clubs from Ping ... but heads up that Ping don't seem to lose value at same rate as other OEMs, so it could be a harder find for your budget.

Use OEM online fitting tools to figure this out. As an example, Ping asks for the wrist to floor measurement and that's accounted for in the club recommendation that gets suggested to you. FWIW, you likely are looking at G or Karsten series clubs from Ping ... but heads up that Ping don't seem to lose value at same rate as other OEMs, so it could be a harder find for your budget.

There's some very good advice. In the Ping G series you can still get custom fitted for last year's model (G30) and you can find used versions fitted to your specs.

First and foremost, what is your budget. you can put together a pretty decent set of clubs for around $500.00 for everything.

2nd, I would go to a golf store, and get a fitting done to find out what length and other adjustments you need on a set of clubs. factor that into your budget.

3rd. Once you have the money set aside for your budget, start looking around craigslist, ebay, callawaygolfpreowned, 2ndswing, rock bottom, global golf, and some of the other sites. for a set that you like.

I got my current setup for roughly $600 to $700 isn
$230 for the irons 4-aw
$100 for the driver
$60 for the 2 hybrid
$30 for the 3 hybrid
$30 for the 56 degree wedge
$100 for the putter
$80 for the 3 wood

Now I had a putter so I didn't really need one, but I got an itch to try something different and so I went for it, but if you take that out of the equation, I spent under $600.00

Factor in a fitting in your budget, which should cost under $100.00
Factor in having someone adjust the length and or lie of the clubs for you based on the fitting (not sure what they charge)

I figure you can get a petty decent setup based on the clubs you need for around that price range which is not bad at all, and it is higher end a couple of years old stuff, which by no means is bad equipment at all.

You can even find some pretty good deals from members here in the forum too for all kinds of equipment.

I'm definitely willing to buy used and I def don't need the latest and greatest. Glad to see Wilsons have come up for recommendations, I like them as a brand and I'll def keep my eyes peeled for them.

If we can find a time to get out and play I have a set of Ci9 I can bring. You can have a go with them.

You could try buying a new or slightly used set that's about a few years old. The Taylormade RBZ or Jetspeed series are good, so is the Callaway X Hot series, and the Ping G series. And these are all game improvement clubs.

Hi, I am 6'4" 38" wrist to floor like you. I was fitted for Pings 4-5 years ago. Off the rack Driver, Fairways and Hybrids. 1" Longer Silver dot irons (3.75 degrees upright). Shaft flex will depend on your swing speed. Go to the ping website and try their online fitting to get the rough specs of what you should consider playing, then shop around at Callaway preowned, 2nd Swing, etc to find a decent used set to match your specs..

I'm on my 3rd season with my Callaway X2hot irons 5-pw. Solid GI iron that I feel really comfortable with. Used set can be picked up for $250-275.00 depending on condition.

Don't discount the option of buying pre owned. I got my x hots from callaway in like new for like $300 and they were brand new just not current year. Great way to save a buck and bogey decent clubs.

Back