davis20

Reaction score
Handicap
Taking a look at my gaping, wondering what everyone thinks. Numbers are average total distance. Where are the areas I should try to fill.

Driver- 256
3W- 208
3H- 196
4I- 183
5I- 179
6I- 167
7I- 159
8I- 154
9I- 131
PW- 119
GW- 97
Putter- 6 Inches short

I also have a 54, and 58 in the bag. In the hunt for a 3W to close that gap and probably going to ditch the 58 as I rarely use it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Moving to Golf forum to make more visible

The 8i looks a little off. 23 yards from the 9i but only 5 from the 7i.

Very interesting. Looking it over I am a bit puzzled. Our driver and 8 iron distances are identical the other clubs are completely different. As an example, my 8 iron is exactly like your 8 iron...but my gaps are about 10-15 yards up and down from there. 9 iron is 145 / 7 iron is about 165. Why do you think your gapping is so close to one another? Is this one day using a monitor to get these numbers or is this truly how you play your bag?

These are average numbers based over 30 rounds. Obviously some clubs have more data points than others.

Also I mean wind and course conditions come into play, but I try to take out the outliers after each round, a super fat shot or a bladed PW that goes 160

I would say in order to get accurate distances you would need to be at the range in a controlled environment. During the round there are many variables that can taint data.

Let's just assume your numbers are really accurate. With your 4 and 5 iron being very close together, I would say you need a 4 hybrid. You aren't getting enough carry distance on your 4 iron to have a good distance gap. I would also say your 3 wood needs to be changed like you said. You might not be fitted correctly or your contact may not be very good (it's one of the hardest clubs to hit off the turf). If the latter is the case, a 4 wood or 5 wood might get you the same distance but a higher ball flight that would be more beneficial.

I would not be as concerned with gaps in the low end of your bag because it's easier to control distances in shorter clubs. It's much harder to take 5 or 10 yards off a 4 iron or 3 wood as opposed to a 9 iron.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What gap are you looking to close with the 3w? Is it more distance off the tee or more distance off the deck? Off the deck not sure how much more you would want to get between 3w and 3h

There's something goofy happening at the top. A 44 yard gap in total distance between your driver and your 3wood? There's something happening. Maybe swing related, maybe equipment. But there's something happening.

There's something goofy happening at the top. A 44 yard gap in total distance between your driver and your 3wood? There's something happening. Maybe swing related, maybe equipment. But there's something happening.

That doesn't seem that odd to me. Maybe I need a better 3w.

Taking a look at my gaping, wondering what everyone thinks. Numbers are average total distance. Where are the areas I should try to fill.

Driver- 256
3W- 208
3H- 196
4I- 183
5I- 179
6I- 167
7I- 159
8I- 154
9I- 131
PW- 119
GW- 97
Putter- 6 Inches short

I also have a 54, and 58 in the bag. In the hunt for a 3W to close that gap and probably going to ditch the 58 as I rarely use it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Isn't this yardage set a little hard to use while playing? I use yardages like 180, 160, 120 and so on, so it's easier for me to remember all of them. Although I don't know if there's anything you can do about your yardages, them being what they are.

Are you willing to mess with lofts and shaft lengths for better gapping?

Isn't this yardage set a little hard to use while playing? I use yardages like 180, 160, 120 and so on, so it's easier for me to remember all of them. Although I don't know if there's anything you can do about your yardages, them being what they are.

Are you willing to mess with lofts and shaft lengths for better gapping?
Yes, that's the whole thing I would like top fine tune these yardages with whatever I can. Again these are gps total distance averages over like 25 rounds or so with the outliers taken out. So what can I do to get these gaps looking good.

Yes, that's the whole thing I would like top fine tune these yardages with whatever I can. Again these are gps total distance averages over like 25 rounds or so with the outliers taken out. So what can I do to get these gaps looking good.

You'll have to work with a fitter, to fiddle with lofts - strong or weak, and perhaps club length, so that your yardages even out. You'll have to factor out wind and contour from your yardage readings.

And oh, better to add length to the shafts than to cut them off. That way you can bring them back to their original length if things don't turn out right. Cutting them off is kinda irreversible.

Last edited:
What gap are you looking to close with the 3w? Is it more distance off the tee or more distance off the deck? Off the deck not sure how much more you would want to get between 3w and 3h
Looking back over my 3 wood distances I guess I'm looking for bigger numbers off the deck. My 3W is 6-7 years old so is by far in need of an upgrade. Averaging 233 on just my tee shots with it, I would think that's a good gap from driver.

Looking back over my 3 wood distances I guess I'm looking for bigger numbers off the deck. My 3W is 6-7 years old so is by far in need of an upgrade. Averaging 233 on just my tee shots with it, I would think that's a good gap from driver.

Tee gap seems reasonable. Off the deck could be a number of factors. What is your typical shot like off the deck?

Line driveish.

Back