Cobra King Forged Irons Preview

Absolutely gorgeous!!

7fae6657e1a647c9faeeb22c1a337665.jpg
killer color combo! Love the look of black iron heads.

My buddy had these in the bag today and in person these irons look great.
f6ab729bf26f088e6027d5a9c0972289.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really want to hit these and find out just how much better they are than my old S3pro's. I was looking at them today and umm I left drooling when I left the store.

Man a full set of MB's would be awesome. I am really digging the black and orange.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

With the new King for the month of May having the question about Irons, I thought I'd bump this thread as they would be my choice for irons fit for a king.

Still such a good looking set, just wish the store by me had them to test.

The KFT are awesome!!

hit the kft today. they perform very well. but they are bigger behind the ball than I am used to. I would say they are similar to the cf16 or 545, but with sharper edges. maybe somewhere between ap1 and ap2. but the performance is absolutely there. very forgiving. responsive feel. the sound would take some getting used to though. kinda clicky. I told my friend if he didn't like them I would gladly take them off his hands. I need the added forgiveness, though aesthetically it is not my preference.

I was able to hit the forged pros. I wanted to hit the forged tecs as well but noone in my area has them, I was a little disappointed as I was told over the phone that they had them but when I arrived they only had the forged pros and the F6s. I was able to hit the 5 iron and 8 iron in the forged Pros. When I am playing I typically play between a 3 and 6 but have been as low as .8. I have not played a lot the last two years due to three kids under the age of 6. I loved the look but was concerned if I could really handle these. After 5 swings I was in love with the 8 iron. It looks great at address with a thin top line. I like the visual of the white on black. For their size they were surprisingly forgiving for their size. The 8 iron gave me very consistent numbers my misses were minimal on the 8 iron. My misses on the 5 iron were more noticeable. Even when I missed it 1/2 to 3/4 of ball on the heel or the toe I only saw 10 yards or so of distance loss. As a bonus you never need impact tape with the black head. If you are concerned about being able to play these I would recommend hitting these if you like a small head with a thin top line, you may be surprised at how well you hit them. They are currently back ordered until July so they must be selling a lot of these. Out of everything I hit these ended up on the top of the list. As soon as I can fund a new set I will be placing my order.

Last edited:
I picked up a set of the King Forged TEC irons off of eBay. 4i-GW with the stock KBS C-Taper Lite in stiff flex. Specs were 1/4 inch shorter than standard and 1 degree flat. I'm seeing a fitter after work today to check and potentially adjust the lie.

I'm coming from Taylormade R11 irons and have also played the 2011 version of the TM CB irons. To put it succinctly, I'm really happy with the performance of the Forged TEC irons. I know some have said the topline is a bit thick, and it does have some squared off edges which make it look a little chunky. But that's in comparison to blades. When you're used to playing a game enhancement type of iron, the look of the Cobra Forged TEC fit right in that group, and I don't think you'd be visually disappointed looking down at them.

The irons look terrific and really match up well with the satin finish on the CTL shafts. I'm coming off Regular flex KBS 90 shafts in the TM irons, and moving to the CTL-Stiff was easy. Just after three rounds I'm getting used to my distances, and the clubs are very consistent in distance and dispersion. Meaning that if I can put similar swings on them, the clubs more than do their part.

I've had comments from playing partners that the clubs sound good when struck. That's my feeling as well - just a real solid sound with sort of a medium pitched click. But don't think that means, "clicky", which to me has more of a high register sound. These don't do that.

For comparison, I had a Cobra F6 six iron for a month in my bag and did pretty good with that. I'd say the F6 is more forgiving by a little, and easier to hit long. But there was something about it - my guess is offset and sole width - that just didn't do it for me. I like the Forged TEC better and I'm fine with their forgiveness and performance. I also demo'd the Bridgestone J15CB irons (5 and 7 only) with various shafts. I loved the looks of the Bridgestones and I hit some beauties with them. But the overall consistency for me was a bit rough. I just felt they were a bit too exacting for my 17 index swing. The Forged TEC irons are easier to hit, and look almost as good (to my eye anyway).

So results? As I said, I'm a 17 index GHIN says my average score in the previous 20 rounds is a 92. I haven't actually played a full 18 with these clubs yet, but I've had three league matches of 9 holes each. My scores have been 43, 42 and 40 for the nine hole rounds. That's better than my average.

I don't have the 4 iron in my bag and have hit the 5i only once out on the course. The lofts are strong enough that the 6 iron is my go-to long iron, and then I drop down to my Ping G25 3 and 4 hybrids if I need more distance than that. The shorter irons are money! I never had confidence with my R11 GW, but the KFT Gap is terrific. Hit a 90 yard shot to within 4 feet of the pin and sunk the birdie putt to help me out with that 40 score I mentioned previously. Nice easy swings with the 8i-PW produce great results and my GIRs seem to be increasing. These feel like a quality tool/instrument and I'm looking forward to getting more experience with them. They've certainly been fun so far.

Good info Rob. Excited that today THPers sign up for the Cobra Event and I have a feeling THPers will learn a lot about drivers and irons.

I picked up a set of the King Forged TEC irons off of eBay. 4i-GW with the stock KBS C-Taper Lite in stiff flex. Specs were 1/4 inch shorter than standard and 1 degree flat. I'm seeing a fitter after work today to check and potentially adjust the lie.

I'm coming from Taylormade R11 irons and have also played the 2011 version of the TM CB irons. To put it succinctly, I'm really happy with the performance of the Forged TEC irons. I know some have said the topline is a bit thick, and it does have some squared off edges which make it look a little chunky. But that's in comparison to blades. When you're used to playing a game enhancement type of iron, the look of the Cobra Forged TEC fit right in that group, and I don't think you'd be visually disappointed looking down at them.

The irons look terrific and really match up well with the satin finish on the CTL shafts. I'm coming off Regular flex KBS 90 shafts in the TM irons, and moving to the CTL-Stiff was easy. Just after three rounds I'm getting used to my distances, and the clubs are very consistent in distance and dispersion. Meaning that if I can put similar swings on them, the clubs more than do their part.

I've had comments from playing partners that the clubs sound good when struck. That's my feeling as well - just a real solid sound with sort of a medium pitched click. But don't think that means, "clicky", which to me has more of a high register sound. These don't do that.

For comparison, I had a Cobra F6 six iron for a month in my bag and did pretty good with that. I'd say the F6 is more forgiving by a little, and easier to hit long. But there was something about it - my guess is offset and sole width - that just didn't do it for me. I like the Forged TEC better and I'm fine with their forgiveness and performance. I also demo'd the Bridgestone J15CB irons (5 and 7 only) with various shafts. I loved the looks of the Bridgestones and I hit some beauties with them. But the overall consistency for me was a bit rough. I just felt they were a bit too exacting for my 17 index swing. The Forged TEC irons are easier to hit, and look almost as good (to my eye anyway).

So results? As I said, I'm a 17 index GHIN says my average score in the previous 20 rounds is a 92. I haven't actually played a full 18 with these clubs yet, but I've had three league matches of 9 holes each. My scores have been 43, 42 and 40 for the nine hole rounds. That's better than my average.

I don't have the 4 iron in my bag and have hit the 5i only once out on the course. The lofts are strong enough that the 6 iron is my go-to long iron, and then I drop down to my Ping G25 3 and 4 hybrids if I need more distance than that. The shorter irons are money! I never had confidence with my R11 GW, but the KFT Gap is terrific. Hit a 90 yard shot to within 4 feet of the pin and sunk the birdie putt to help me out with that 40 score I mentioned previously. Nice easy swings with the 8i-PW produce great results and my GIRs seem to be increasing. These feel like a quality tool/instrument and I'm looking forward to getting more experience with them. They've certainly been fun so far.

Maybe the sleeper iron set of the year IMO, they do a LOT really really really well. Glad you're enjoying them!

Good info Rob. Excited that today THPers sign up for the Cobra Event and I have a feeling THPers will learn a lot about drivers and irons.

I guess I'm turning into a Cobra homer. I've been playing the F6 driver since March this year and am finding myself 10-15 yards farther down the fairway than normal. Now with the Forged TEC irons in the bag I'm getting better from the short grass too. I'll be following along with the THPers at the Cobra event in Illinois. I'm sure everyone will have a great experience, and they're in for a treat with the equipment Cobra has engineered.

I guess I'm turning into a Cobra homer. I've been playing the F6 driver since March this year and am finding myself 10-15 yards farther down the fairway than normal. Now with the Forged TEC irons in the bag I'm getting better from the short grass too. I'll be following along with the THPers at the Cobra event in Illinois. I'm sure everyone will have a great experience, and they're in for a treat with the equipment Cobra has engineered.

F6 is leggggggiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

I have been following this and like the reviews. The forged tec irons interest me alot. Might be a good replacement for the MP-15's, more forgiveness and definitely more distance.

I have been following this and like the reviews. The forged tec irons interest me alot. Might be a good replacement for the MP-15's, more forgiveness and definitely more distance.

The forged tec irons are really solid and definitely not short. Maybe not quite as long as my XR pro's, but they're not far behind, which is pretty amazing considering. The King MB's are really great also.

Forged Tec is soooooo good with the C Taper Lites hit them on the gc2 right in line with my gamers but my launch was high and something i don't typically see such a great combo.

Went in for a full iron/shaft fitting today with blind look of heads and shafts. Much to my surprise The Cobra Forged Tec blew everything else out of the water. Was going back and forth between the Nippon 1150 in Regular hardstepped once and a steel Oban stiff. Ultimately the Nippon produced more consistent results. I hit 8 different heads today and it wasn't even close how much better these performed. Ended up ordering a set in 5 thru GW, Nippon 1150 Regular, Hardstepped once, 3 degree's UP, with Golf Pride MCC Plus in Orange. Looking forward to having them show up sometime late next week.

got to play with buddy who has the kft in 3i-pw with lz steel 5.5. he hit some STUPID long iron shots yesterday, including a 186y 7i from some nasty rough that flew pin high and bounded over the green. he has always been longer than i am with all clubs in the bag, but recently i gained on him when he was gaming ap2 with kbs tour. with the kft in the bag he is back to being a full club longer than i am.

standing on a par 3 we both had 9i. i compared by j15df to his kft, and to be perfectly honest it would take me awhile to get used to that much girth behind the ball. they're bigger than what i would normally gravitate toward.

They're really good though. The feel great off the face. Having gamed them I can say getting used to them will be a pretty quick process.

I went golfing on Saturday which probably completed about a dozen rounds with the Cobra Forged Tec irons, and it quite honestly was the best move i made this year... I still cannot believe how much more forgiving these are for me compared to my prior 2016 set; Ping G irons... I've grown accustom to the feel and feedback these irons provide, and i believe it's actually made me a better iron player over. I do not get penalized distance on mishits whatsoever... and the pure shots... It's what makes you keep coming back for more golf.. It's actually enjoyable to play now, and it's also the first time i've ever been able to hit 4 iron and 5 iron easily.. The stock KBS CTL shafts work really well for my game. I think i finally found a set of irons i can keep in the bag for the long haul..

Awesome man. Every time I think of these irons it takes me back to my low round of the year which was when these were in the bag and I played around with Canes at Doral and shot my best score of the season

I went golfing on Saturday which probably completed about a dozen rounds with the Cobra Forged Tec irons, and it quite honestly was the best move i made this year... I still cannot believe how much more forgiving these are for me compared to my prior 2016 set; Ping G irons... I've grown accustom to the feel and feedback these irons provide, and i believe it's actually made me a better iron player over. I do not get penalized distance on mishits whatsoever... and the pure shots... It's what makes you keep coming back for more golf.. It's actually enjoyable to play now, and it's also the first time i've ever been able to hit 4 iron and 5 iron easily.. The stock KBS CTL shafts work really well for my game. I think i finally found a set of irons i can keep in the bag for the long haul..

You hit some pretty great irons shots for us two weeks ago buddy. These are some solid sticks.

Anyone still playing the Forged Tecs? If you've gamed them and are no longer what did you switch to? These are moving into ponder territory for me ...

Anyone still playing the Forged Tecs? If you've gamed them and are no longer what did you switch to? These are moving into ponder territory for me ...

I played the Forged Tec's last year. And they still hold the low round of the year for me for 2016. I switched out of them because I have an equipment buying problem . I'm working on that this year. Toning it back big time. But the FT's are legit!

Back