Nike Vapor Fly Driver & Vapor Fly Pro Preview

I've never been a fan of Nike drivers because to me they've all felt horrible but this VFP is different. I was able to feel the ball at impact and know exactly where the ball was going. Hit about 15 shots on the range and used the Driver last 9 holes of the day. It appears that the diamana S+ 60 stiff is a bit too soft for me. Initial testing on the range was stock 10.5 setting in neutral position. A lot of high spinning out right. Dialed it down to 8.5* and that worked better for me. No draws but only straight or fade drives. Playing the desert the numbers get higher due to the less humidity and carry tends to be farther so I wasn't too worried about actually carry distance.
Nice results dude. I'm curious, did you not like the feel of last year's VP?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Nice results dude. I'm curious, did you not like the feel of last year's VP?

No not really. Could have been the shaft I tried in it but the feel on it just wasn't to my liking. I have a 60x diamana S+ shaft laying around here so I'll buy another flex loft adapter and give it a try in the VFP. Have a feeling if I play it at 9.5 with that shaft will give me the results I think I'll be happy with.

No not really. Could have been the shaft I tried in it but the feel on it just wasn't to my liking. I have a 60x diamana S+ shaft laying around here so I'll buy another flex loft adapter and give it a try in the VFP. Have a feeling if I play it at 9.5 with that shaft will give me the results I think I'll be happy with.

Hmm interesting, as I find the feel of the two to be very very similar. But hey, it's all good, we're all different! I would definitely think the X S+ will be a killer setup for you dude, can't wait to hear about your results.

Hmm interesting, as I find the feel of the two to be very very similar. But hey, it's all good, we're all different! I would definitely think the X S+ will be a killer setup for you dude, can't wait to hear about your results.

Probably the KK shaft I was using. Don't really get along with that shaft.

Probably the KK shaft I was using. Don't really get along with that shaft.
Yeah I've never been a fan of that one either. Admittedly I'm cheating a little with the shaft in mine too haha, but I liked the feel with the stock S+ as well.

Sounds like some initial promising results Alex. I'll be interested to hear how the other shaft does for you compared to this one.

I Have the S+ in X with the flex loft adapter already installed. I'll send it you, if you want to try it out.

Tested Vapor Fly Pro on the launch monitor this morning. Just not forgiving for me. Here is how the breakdown of the results went with the driver head broken down into quadrants and each of the four quadrants are labeled with what I saw on the FlightScope with myself and 3 other golfers. This is based only on our testing, but it was similar for each of us.

Rather than type it all up, I used the launch monitor numbers to put this together.

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-03%20at%201.45.03%20PM-L.png

Now let's talk about what happens when you hit the face of the club face based on the general topic.
The general thought is if you draw a line from left to right across the middle of the face, some things will happen each time.
Go below the line and ball speed can go up and spin will go up and launch angle will drop. If you go above the line the exact opposite will happen.

With that said, every driver is different and while the general theory works on paper, how it impacts each club is quite different. Seeing low ball speeds when striking low on the face, in a pretty big way was surprising, not so much in you expect higher ball speeds, but because it was lower than just about every other driver we tested for all 4 golfers (6 drivers today, including another Nike).

Anyways, that is it for my little demonstration of what we found and as always your mileage may vary.

That's a really quick and easy way to put lots of data forward JB, very nice! I'm mostly curious how this club stacks up against last years Vapor Pro.

That's a really quick and easy way to put lots of data forward JB, very nice! I'm mostly curious how this club stacks up against last years Vapor Pro.

Almost identical for me and these testers as that was included today.

That's what I thought. A Vapor Pro with a paint job was my impression when I hit it. Pretty weak IMO.

That's what I thought. A Vapor Pro with a paint job was my impression when I hit it. Pretty weak IMO.

One of the guys we were with loved it. In fact wanted to trade me his M2 for it on the spot.
Sometimes perception is bigger than reality for golfers...Which is cool too.

Tested Vapor Fly Pro on the launch monitor this morning. Just not forgiving for me. Here is how the breakdown of the results went with the driver head broken down into quadrants and each of the four quadrants are labeled with what I saw on the FlightScope with myself and 3 other golfers. This is based only on our testing, but it was similar for each of us.

Rather than type it all up, I used the launch monitor numbers to put this together.

Now let's talk about what happens when you hit the face of the club face based on the general topic.
The general thought is if you draw a line from left to right across the middle of the face, some things will happen each time.
Go below the line and ball speed can go up and spin will go up and launch angle will drop. If you go above the line the exact opposite will happen.

With that said, every driver is different and while the general theory works on paper, how it impacts each club is quite different. Seeing low ball speeds when striking low on the face, in a pretty big way was surprising, not so much in you expect higher ball speeds, but because it was lower than just about every other driver we tested for all 4 golfers (6 drivers today, including another Nike).

Anyways, that is it for my little demonstration of what we found and as always your mileage may vary.

Loved this way of visually breaking down the driver. Curious though, what Nike was better?

Loved this way of visually breaking down the driver. Curious though, what Nike was better?

Better is relative, but both the Fly and the Vapor Flex was better for this group of testers.

I agree 100%.
One of the guys we were with loved it. In fact wanted to trade me his M2 for it on the spot.
Sometimes perception is bigger than reality for golfers...Which is cool too.
Perception or not, it would be difficult to rip last year's out of my hands right now.

I like that break down. A little disappointed to see some of those results but still excited to give it a try in less than two weeks

Better is relative, but both the Fly and the Vapor Flex was better for this group of testers.
That's interesting. I liked the pro better than the others. I had the worst results with the flex.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Disappointing results indeed. Sweet spot or bust which is juat silly with so many more forgiving options out there

Any one using the Tensei 60g shaft with this driver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow up round today with Diamana S+ 60x. Front 9 was horrible. Couldn't find middle of the club if my life depended on it. Back 9 swing started showing up and hit some really good drives but they were mid flight with good roll out but decreased carry, even using 12.5* setting. Not quite what I saw on the range but I'm blaming myself for the results right now. Great looking club though.

Rather than type it all up, I used the launch monitor numbers to put this together

Great image!

I really liked the Fly Pro i hit this past weekend. Spin numbers were high (mid 3000's) but I loved how well it swung. This one just wants to go straight.

I got to swing both the Pro and the regular Vapor Fly at Club Clash this weekend. Think the Pro was a little out of my swing speed range, and the misses were a little penal for me. The regular Vapor Fly though, was a solid option. I saw some lower shots out of it, but I think with the right loft and a shaft fitting, this driver could be dangerous. Didn't hit the flex, but saw a few guys hit it. I say 'saw' because you could barely hear the impact.

I wanted to like the pro but other than sound and the colors there wasn't much that would have me wanting to go buy it.

the speed was better IMO but also not something I would run out to buy.

This looks nice!

0db907444e73854ccd6bb59f7d3eaf51.jpg

Back