THP Regional Rivalry - NY/NJ vs New England - Sponsored By True Temper

I keep almost going out to get 9 in, but then see limbs down all over the woods around our condo. I think I'll stick to the open field that is the range. Need to work on a couple things anyway.

I posted in the Range thread, but I just could not flight anything down in the wind with my irons. It was blowing left to right, so everything took off nicely, then drifted right on the descent. I'm really happy with my contact lately though, which is good. Heavenwood was just launching missiles again.

Anyone else wake up to snow this morning? We got around 3 inches, way more than what was expected.

Looks like mother nature is raining on our parade a bit here. So let's start thinking about the venue.

Here's hole #1

hole01lrg.jpg

A pretty wide open par 5 - though there's some water down the left, the trouble on this hole is the sand around the green - you can't really see it in the picture, but there's a bunker in front of the mouth of the green - anyone going for it in two is going to have to make sure they carry to the green. What's your approach here?

3 shot par 5 all day long for me.

Looks like mother nature is raining on our parade a bit here. So let's start thinking about the venue.

Here's hole #1

hole01lrg.jpg

A pretty wide open par 5 - though there's some water down the left, the trouble on this hole is the sand around the green - you can't really see it in the picture, but there's a bunker in front of the mouth of the green - anyone going for it in two is going to have to make sure they carry to the green. What's your approach here?

That's pretty :)
My approach would be grab a chair and a beer and appreciate the view :)

But for playing? if I'm playing well from bunkers (which I been doing as of late) I might try it but the water is not my friend so I'm looking to lay up, get on in 3 and a hopeful par with a chance at bird.

It's a great opening hole. Generous fairway. The 2nd shot could be a little tricky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Casual round I'd go for it almost every time. At Regional rivalry unless partner in tight, I'd play as a 3 shot.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Difficult to see how large the green is, or how long of a par 5, but from the description given its likely going to be a 3-shot hole. Drive anywhere in the fairway, lay up to a full wedge and stick it close.

3 shot hole. No need to go for the hero play on the opening hole, if you get in trouble right away it's no good playing from behind immediately.

Working on the dining for our Champions Celebration in this one. Should be a great post event time.

Give it a week, and NY/NJ will be just as dead to me as it was before the tournament started. Well, NJ is still currently dead to me.

:crying:

It's a great opening hole. Generous fairway. The 2nd shot could be a little tricky

So we shouldn't be able to miss the fairway? Challenge accepted!

Here's hole #1

hole01lrg.jpg

Depends on length of the tees were playing but with that water left and bunkers guarding the green completely I'm thinking 3 shot hole so I can throw a wedge at the pin and not worry about executing the perfect shot.

Driver off the tee about 250 to the right hand side of the fairway, depending on the yardage in and pin placement, draw it in over the bunker on the right hand side keeping the water out of play.

If I have to go three shots it will be Driver SW SW one putt birdie. bunker front left is not a place you want to be.

I forgot to answer the question. Most par 5s are three shot holes for me and this one looks to be no exception with water and the sand in front of the green.

Here's the scorecard:

Print_ScoreCard_2015.jpg

Most likely a 3 shot hole, unless an opening round drive is absolutely piped, but my partner and I can always take risk reward in the moment based on the format of Shamble

Here's hole #1

hole01lrg.jpg

Only time I played it I hit a good drive just past the tree on the left and in the FW. Then hit a 3 mashie that carried the water but was short of the green. Really was trying to go at the right part, but pulled it.

That might be the key to this hole (depending on the format). If we get a drive near where Dean is talking about, I know there are a couple of guys on team NE who can get a long hybrid or heavenwood in there.

That hole looks unreal by the way, I cannot wait to play here!

Yeah depending on format I wouldn't mind trying to get a long iron there in 2 the more I look at it.

That might be the key to this hole (depending on the format). If we get a drive near where Dean is talking about, I know there are a couple of guys on team NE who can get a long hybrid or heavenwood in there.
That angle gives you a shorter shot in to the green. If you bail out to the right side of the fairway, it's an easier layup but a longer approach. IIRC

That angle gives you a shorter shot in to the green. If you bail out to the right side of the fairway, it's an easier layup but a longer approach. IIRC

Some strategic decisions right out of the gate, should be interesting to see how it goes for each group.

3 shot hole, have all the confidence in the world in my wedges and my putter !

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

To me the hole plays different depending on format. Shamble or something where both scores count? I'll probably play that conservatively. Something like Best Ball, where both people are in a good position? If someone feels confident, go for it.

It's an awesome opening hole for team golf.

If you go down the left side, closer to the lone tree, then you shorten the hole up. When I played there I went in that direction, and even with an average drive I went for it in 2 and I think I was pin high in the right rough. If you guys play the blues, it's a 484 yard par 5, I bet more people go for it in 2 than what is being posted on here.

Back