Niblick Unboxing & Thread

Cleveland calls the 49* a "D" or "Dual Purpose" Wedge.

Translation: This Loft is actually in-between a 45-48* PW and a 50-52* GW loft. Therefore it could be considered a rather weak-lofted Pitching Wedge or a strong-lofted Gap Wedge. That said, the full-swing distance will generally be closer to Gap Wedge distance for most players.

I actually really like a putter type of stroke with my 56*. Pops it up just nicely and lands softly. Use it all the time depending on the circumstance.

Great JB, if the 56* Niblick works for you with a normal putting stroke, but I believe you are the exception here at "the Hackers Paradise". Most of us would have a very difficult time judging distance should we attempt to "putt" with a SW loft of 56*...to my mind that is far too risky! A 37* or 42* is bound to a more reliable Niblick loft for getting the ball briefly airborne and then rolling smoothly from the fringe. Now granted, I might use my 56* from deep rough around the green when I didn't have much green to work with, but my stroke of choice there will be more of a vertical chopping-type of wedge stroke, not a putting stroke.

Of course, one actually CAN putt with a true 56* Sand Wedge, but that technique doesn't even involve applying the face of the club. To "belly a wedge" you must apply the leading edge to the center (equator) of the ball. You may have actually seen PGA Pros use their Sand Wedges and this technique on the greens, but usually that ocurs only after breaking their putter over a knee, or throwing it in the water.

:dohanim:

Last edited:
I want to thank everyone here for the tips on how what type of stroke to use with the Niblick. I have been out practicing what was recommened here and so far the results have been great. I managed to get myself into 6 greenside bunkers during the last round and used the Niblick stroke to pop out of 5 of them on the first try. The other one took me two strokes as I was right against the edge and didnt have enough room to use that stroke.
I have also been using them at the range and have improved my accuracy, at least based on little games I play with my intructor like trying to hit a plastic box 40 yards out etc.
I am not saying these are miracle workers, but they have given me a new found confidence in my short game and have also shown me the huge benefit of reaching out for advice from other THP'ers.
Thanks again guys!

Awesome Ripper! I missed your original question or I would have chimed in. It's an absolute beast around the green for me. Once you get a feel for the speed of the greens at the course you're playing its money.

Putter stroke is mainly what I do. It's like Im rolling the ball to the cup. I also make sure I pick a point in front of the ball and I rarely mishit it. I will on occasion use it for a pitch shot but I make sure I have plenty of green and the pin placement is good for a lot of roll. I use the 42* but after talking to JB I may get the 56* or the 49*. THP is a great source of info and I took a lot of hints from the forum.

I know some people will chuckle on the course but it really has helped me with my putter too. Confidence and repitition is a wonderful thing.

i for one love these niblicks. I just ordered the 49 which i think might become my go to greenside club. I love the 42 when i have alot of green and can run the ball. But alot of my courses have some really fast greens this time of year so the 42 is a little too hot.

The 56 is great out of bunkers.. and when i say great... it is unreal how much that club single handedly has dropped strokes. You can take a full swing to try n get it high and spinny.. or you can putt-like chip it right off the top of the sand and it will come out predictably everytime. Its almost like you arent in sand.. its like chipping around the green. I take it to maybe 9 o clock back and just chip it right off the top of the sand and its money...however if i want to run it up to the cup - its a little too much loft - it usually just bounces once and stops.

Thats where i think the 49 will come in - i think ill be able to chip it around every lie on the green, be it short side to pin, or long... and it should bounce once or twice and roll a bit.

I havent tried 50-60 yd pitches with any though - i mostly use my cg15 wedges - but i should try pitching with these since ive read alot love it.. it just feels weird with a blade like cg15 and then a niblick..

cant express enough how much i love it around greenside for chipping though. Sometime i need to narrow my bag down to 14 clubs lol but im not competing anytime soon.

Just tried my 56 for the first time today. So far I am impressed. It's gonna take a few rounds to get used to the way you use it but so far so good. Chipped one in from about 15 yds off the green. Haven't really used it for full shots yet.

Niblick Lovers -

Niblick Lovers -

Has anyone heard if cleveland golf is going make a new niblick line after the new year? I love my 49* and want to get another one - BUT - if they are going to renew the line I'll just wait as I want an aftermarket shaft. Plus I want one that I can use after 2014 too...

Merged this one with the Niblick thread.

To answer your question, yes they are.

Any chance you could give us some more details about the new Niblick line?

Any chance you could give us some more details about the new Niblick line?

Other than it has conforming grooves, I cannot. Embargo is coming up soon though.

Is the Embargo date this year? I have already picked up a new 56 just in case... Was debating whether to get a new 49 also or wait for the new line. Thanks JB

Is the Embargo date this year? I have already picked up a new 56 just in case... Was debating whether to get a new 49 also or wait for the new line. Thanks JB

No, it is early next year.

It's a given regarding the conforming grooves. What I'm interested in is will new lofts be offered ? I wouldn't mind a 30*. Wouldn't it be great if they offered Miyazaki shafts someday in combo with the Nib? Of course, the tip diameter would have to be .370

It's a given regarding the conforming grooves. What I'm interested in is will new lofts be offered ? I wouldn't mind a 30*. Wouldn't it be great if they offered Miyazaki shafts someday in combo with the Nib? Of course, the tip diameter would have to be .370

Im not sure what the benefit would be. And of course Miyazaki would have to make iron shafts which unfortunately they said on THP Radio is not on the horizon right now.

I hated to let my Niblick go (to a forum member at least, though) but 56 was not enough loft for me. At my local course, which is the only one in my town of 9k, they keep the greens pretty small and I'm rarely in the fairway enough to routinely do a bump & run.

If these guys came out with a 60* niblick I would die and go to heaven! Then I could continue to use my irons for all of my full shots and have NLB (Niblick LW) for the chips that I currently reserve for my LW. Please oh please oh please!

+1 on getting a 30-32* Niblick released. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

For the guys with the 56* Niblick, do you find the trajectory lower than your regular SW? I've been considering picking up the 56* but everything from half swings, pitches, to chips seem to have a lower trajectory than my regular SW.

I find the trajectory to be higher than a normal 56 degree unless you are opening up your normal wedge. The niblick for me plays more like a 58-60 degree.

I'll have to give em another try. I hit my 49* Niblick pretty high, but just can't seem to find the swing to get the same results from the 56*

for those who use a niblik, do you find that they hit the ball a similar distance to the iron they are meant to replace? i would assume they would go a shorter distance.

Sorry if this has been answered, but I notice that the Niblicks are available in steel or graphite. I ordered one and it came today in graphite. I am pretty sure the other one I have is steel. Any pros and cons to either one?

for those who use a niblik, do you find that they hit the ball a similar distance to the iron they are meant to replace? i would assume they would go a shorter distance.

A little shorter. My 42 goes about as far as my 44 Cobra S-II PW, and the 56 goes a little shorter than my 56 iWedge.

To Niblick or Not to Niblick... that is the question.

To Niblick or Not to Niblick... that is the question.

Background: Bought a 42* Niblick early this season... flat out loved it. learned how to hit a variety of shots with it. didn't use any of my other wedges... bought a 56* degree as well... lost the 42* on the course one day a couple months ago. As a result, started using my normal wedges again with moderate success... chipping did suffer a bit at 1st but figured it out.

Fast-Forward: I have 56* Niblick that I am not using and 2 set of wedges that I love.

I loved using the Niblick because it simplified things for me and cut down on the over thinking and trying to hit wedge shots that are not in my repetoire. But I love golf and want to get better and I felt like using the Niblick was taking the easy way out rather put in the wedge work on my short game.

So now I am trying to decide if I should go ahead and take the wedges out and buy a new 42* Niblick or take out the Niblicks and focus on my wedges...

Any thoughts? Also, does anyone know if Niblicks are actually legal for like tournament play or something like that? I am planning to play in some tourneys next year and if they aren't legal, then I don't want to become dependent on them.

Merged this with the master Niblick thread.

Back