Cobra KING F6 Irons Review & Interview

Player 9 with my dad this morning. I seriously am in love with these irons. So much fun to play. I hit 5 greens in regulation today and almost got 2 par 5s in 2. The ability for me to go drive and then 4 iron into a par 5 is something I have never had before. I am still getting used to the distances but it's a good problem.
Couple highlights: 150 to elevated green (played it as a 155 yard shot) and I smoked a 7 iron 15 feet past the hole.
Gap wedge from 113 and it stopped on 1 bounce (somehow) about 8 feet from the hole.
4 iron off the tee was good for me on 2 holes where I needed a tight shot.
Last part, I had my dad hit a couple shots and he was really impressed by how easy they were to get up in the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, kb, I did it. I went back today and hit the F6's against the Ping G's and Gmax's. The F6 and Gmax out-performed the G (I know, they're different classes of clubs, but the 2 were giving me similar results). I decided to order the F6's because, (1) while both reached the same average height, the F6 produced a gradual climb, while the Gmax shot up like a rocket. (2) I averaged about 4 yds longer with the F6. (3) The courses I play tend to result in a lot of tight lies, and the huge heads on the Gmax were likely to give me trouble. (4) I absolutely love the look of the F6's. They look even better in person than even in the excellent photos that Jman posted.

While I have purchased "new" sets before, it's always been no sooner than the release of the next model (usually even later than that). So, this is my first new set I've bought while the model was still in its release year. Even more importantly, this is the first set I've bought for which I've actually been fit. They're supposed to get here in 7-10 days. I can't wait to get them in and get them out to the course!

Well, kb, I did it. I went back today and hit the F6's against the Ping G's and Gmax's. The F6 and Gmax out-performed the G (I know, they're different classes of clubs, but the 2 were giving me similar results). I decided to order the F6's because, (1) while both reached the same average height, the F6 produced a gradual climb, while the Gmax shot up like a rocket. (2) I averaged about 4 yds longer with the F6. (3) The courses I play tend to result in a lot of tight lies, and the huge heads on the Gmax were likely to give me trouble. (4) I absolutely love the look of the F6's. They look even better in person than even in the excellent photos that Jman posted.

While I have purchased "new" sets before, it's always been no sooner than the release of the next model (usually even later than that). So, this is my first new set I've bought while the model was still in its release year. Even more importantly, this is the first set I've bought for which I've actually been fit. They're supposed to get here in 7-10 days. I can't wait to get them in and get them out to the course!

Nice!! I love hearing that! I also like hearing that they beat out the 2 ping models. U will really enjoy them. I feel like I get more comfortable with them every round and they still impress me with how they handle my bad swing. Haha.

Hopefully cobra will be quick to get them out like they did with me and it's only 8 days of waiting. Did u do long irons or hybrids?

Nice!! I love hearing that! I also like hearing that they beat out the 2 ping models. U will really enjoy them. I feel like I get more comfortable with them every round and they still impress me with how they handle my bad swing. Haha.

Hopefully cobra will be quick to get them out like they did with me and it's only 8 days of waiting. Did u do long irons or hybrids?

I played it safe and went 3/4 and 4/5 hybrids, with 6-Gap wedge. I thought with that make-up, I could always decide later if I wanted to play the hybrids as a 3 & a 4, and just buy a 5 iron separately.

I played it safe and went 3/4 and 4/5 hybrids, with 6-Gap wedge. I thought with that make-up, I could always decide later if I wanted to play the hybrids as a 3 & a 4, and just buy a 5 iron separately.

That makes a lot of sense. If I could hit a hybrid at all then I Probly would have done something like that. Plus cobra makes it pretty easy to order single irons.
I will be interested to see what you think of them when you get them in your bag.

That makes a lot of sense. If I could hit a hybrid at all then I Probly would have done something like that. Plus cobra makes it pretty easy to order single irons.
I will be interested to see what you think of them when you get them in your bag.

I'll definitely keep you posted. Can't describe how excited I am right now. Somebody invent a time machine quickly so I can zip forward a week or so!

I'll definitely keep you posted. Can't describe how excited I am right now. Somebody invent a time machine quickly so I can zip forward a week or so!

Haha. I know the feeling. I think during my wait I stopped in the golf shop 3 days in a row just to see if it came in early.

Was killing time last night and stopped by a local shop and hit the 7i a few times. Great feel, solid club and I liked the way it looked at address. Ponder engaged. Didn't get a chance to hit on a monitor but will eventually.

Another round in the books. These fricken clubs. Wow. I played a much longer course today and it didn't play as long as it has in the past.
8 iron from 150 out is insane for me. 7 iron from 160 and getting it over a huge tree is stupid fun. I honestly cannot play enough golf right now because these are so fun.

Nice! The more that try them, the more that will be impressed.

Ok I need to clean these up before I post any pics (brush busted). A few thoughts after last nights round.

1. I REALLY like the looks of the progressive heads. Its the closest thing to a "combo set" a hack like me can play.
2. I played at a course with some really thick rough and the irons just slashed right through it, which is huge for someone like me that doesnt take a divot typically.
3. The scoring irons are absolute money, distances were what Ive experienced with my other set, but there is a feel at impact that lets you know you caught it flush.
4. The toe forgiveness was very solid (on the 2 I had), distance loss was not by any means extremely penal.
5. A 6I I flushed last night might have been one of the highest launching mid irons Ive ever hit, it was pretty cool to see it "take off" and elevate.
6. I felt very comfortable hitting 7I and up which is a huge confidence boost for me.
7. The FST steel flighted shafts are the first 100+ weighted shafts I have gamed in a long time, but with the heads throughout the set it still has a very "lightweight" feel to them. And NO PAIN in the wrist thus far.

I still need some swings with the PW, I have not been in a position to use it yet.
Also need more time with the mid irons and see what the verdict is.

KB and MD, just stop it!!

Im really happy with the CF16, I don't need to hear these may be longer and more forgiving. I don't need to hear that :banghead:

Never had the feeling of going into a golfsmith and having no interest in looking at the irons.

I hadn't weighed in for 2 or 3 weeks so figured I'd update. I'm up to 11 rounds and probably about 35 range sessions since getting my F6's and things keep getting better and better. The first few rounds and range sessions had me getting used to significantly lighter clubs (these are my first graphite iron set) and I was sprinkling in some really inconsistent shots. The past 8 rounds those clunkers seem to be completely gone. I've hit maaaybeee 5 full iron shots, total, in the last 8 rounds that failed to get me within 10 yards of my expected distance. That's a mega improvement for a hack like me. I played my previous iron set for 2.5 years and estimate my % of full iron shots finishing at least 10 yards short was at least 25% when I was playing good. I'm so confident every time I pull an iron now!

I changed my bag makeup late last summer, going to 2 hybrids. In the months following I found I was rarely using my old 4 iron unless it was for some kind of low flighted recovery shot. As I've become familiar with my F6's things have flipped completely. Seems like now I never use my 19.5* hybrid. My F6 4 iron is so automatic that I'm now in full ponder to get the set 3 iron to replace the unused hybrid.

I hadn't weighed in for 2 or 3 weeks so figured I'd update. I'm up to 11 rounds and probably about 35 range sessions since getting my F6's and things keep getting better and better. The first few rounds and range sessions had me getting used to significantly lighter clubs (these are my first graphite iron set) and I was sprinkling in some really inconsistent shots. The past 8 rounds those clunkers seem to be completely gone. I've hit maaaybeee 5 full iron shots, total, in the last 8 rounds that failed to get me within 10 yards of my expected distance. That's a mega improvement for a hack like me. I played my previous iron set for 2.5 years and estimate my % of full iron shots finishing at least 10 yards short was at least 25% when I was playing decent. I'm so confident every time I pull an iron now!

I changed my bag makeup late last summer, going to 2 hybrids. In the months following I found I was rarely using my old 4 iron unless it was for some kind of low flighted recovery shot. As I've become familiar with my F6's things have flipped completely. Seems like now I never use my 19.5* hybrid. My F6 4 iron is so automatic that I'm now in full ponder to get the set 3 iron to replace the unused hybrid.

Good stuff! I have not had mine as long as you but am so much more confident with these now. I have had a lot of the same results as you and love the forgiveness.

I have had the same thoughts about the f6 3 iron. I love the 4 so much.

Oh, y'all are killing me! I can't wait for my new F6's to arrive!

Ok 2 full rounds in with these this past Sunday.

Most noticeable takeaway from the golf played with these was the distances I was seeing. While I think some of it is the new swing, I was FREQUENTLY flying balls over the green. While for anyone that golfs with me knows that seldomly ever happens. Im a good 5-7 yards longer than the 2nd half of last year, going to have to adjust.

The scoring irons in this set are really solid. Nice high launch and Im in the ballpark usually as far as where im trying to go, still missing some a little right but thats a me thing. Very soft feel at impact when you catch one on the middle of the clubface, immediately lets you know you have done something right.

Didnt have a ton of mid irons to hit because I was driving the ball solid, but of those I did I was not disappointed at all. Th efull hollow 5 and 6 irons feel very "compact" at impact and the ball really jumps off of the face for me.

There were 2 areas that I did struggle with these irons on Sunday:
1. Lots of "fat" shots out of the rough, like I had to fight extra hard to rip through the high-ish April rough. Might be a me thing, might be the grass who knows, will make a mental note of this for future rounds.
2. Didnt see the toe forgiveness that I was expecting to see. That is my miss no way around it, but the distance loss (most noticable on a few 7 irons) was a little more than I would have liked. Again will keep an eye on this, as well as the same with the other clubs in the bag.

Looking forward to continuing to get these out on the course and a few range sessions as well. As previously stated these still feel very "light-weight" despite the actual weight of the stock steel shafts, which is a big plus for me. I will however refrain from playing 36 in a day with these as may hands and joints took a beating with the steel (thats a me thing).

Good thoughts 441. I look forward to hearing more.

I may have missed this earlier in the thread 441, but how would you rate the lateral forgiveness of these vs. the C200s? I know you have both sets, and both seem to be aimed to the same general golf market.

I may have missed this earlier in the thread 441, but how would you rate the lateral forgiveness of these vs. the C200s? I know you have both sets, and both seem to be aimed to the same general golf market.

Through my time with both id say the C200 wins there, thin and toe those irons really shine. These arent too bad low, but not C200 like on the toe

As previously stated these still feel very "light-weight" despite the actual weight of the stock steel shafts, which is a big plus for me. I will however refrain from playing 36 in a day with these as may hands and joints took a beating with the steel (thats a me thing).

I think this was the big issue I had with them when I was fit. They feel very, very, light through the swing.

Through my time with both id say the C200 wins there, thin and toe those irons really shine. These arent too bad low, but not C200 like on the toe

This surprises me, a lot, based on all the testing I put these through out there on the toe.

This surprises me, a lot, based on all the testing I put these through out there on the toe.

I may have come across too harsh, not my intention, but compared to C200s its a big difference (again in very limited testing, now 3.5 rounds and 2 range sessions). Now compared to most other irons on the market Id venture to say its much better than average.

Haven't posted in a while. Still having a lot of fun with these irons and it's fun to be seeing the distance improvement I have been seeing. It's not a coincidence that I am playing some of the best golf I have ever played since I got these.

Haven't posted in a while. Still having a lot of fun with these irons and it's fun to be seeing the distance improvement I have been seeing. It's not a coincidence that I am playing some of the best golf I have ever played since I got these.

Glad to hear it kb. Still waiting for mine. Apparently there was a problem with the grips at Cobra (they were out of the ones I ordered). I'm expecting to receive them in the next few days, and I'll have to grip them myself.

Great thoughts 441 and kb. These are still the set of irons I wanted to give a go this year.

Back