Georgia Tech Basketball Coach -"If You Play Golf, You Aren't Working For Me"

Do not agree with pastner but I understand what he is saying. At that level it's a rat race and someone will always take that spot if u turn it down. I have a lot of friends at that level and some d the stories I could tell are insane. Work life balance is not a thing.
My recruiting list the last 3 years averaged around 330 kids at the start of the cycle. We would end up with 7-10. I would literally be on the phone from 130-4 and 6-9 every weekday in July and August. Then once the kids started school it would be pretty much every week day from 530-9 or later depending on if I had to call Colorado kids or west coast kids.
When we would get in season we would have 2 games a week and then I would go recruiting 2-3 times a week on top of that. That meant I was driving 3.5 hours 1 way, seeing a game and then turning right back around and head back late at night. That has been my life for 12 years now.
Iam "just a d3" assistant but that is fine because it's a good level and it gives some balance. I have always had the decision if I want to be at a higher level and pursue it (going to an operations/video role) but I come back to the fact that I like the level I'm at for now and I can have a life outside of basketball.
For me, golf was a good thing because it gave me an outlet out of the season. I felt more productive when I did work because I didn't burn myself out all summer in the office. Time and a place for both things if you can manage your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was hoping and waiting for you to chime in.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I was hoping and waiting for you to chime in.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I was patiently watching this thread. Haha. I could have kept writing too, but didn't want to hijack the thread.

I was patiently watching this thread. Haha. I could have kept writing too, but didn't want to hijack the thread.
Same here on lurking the thread. Being what I would call very close to one Division 1 coach and his staff. I have a pretty good idea of their schedule.

I was eager to hear your input. Please write all you want. It's not thread jacking at all.

Unless you want to apply for this job why do you care?

Unless you want to apply for this job why do you care?

Exactly, I know he will not have any trouble finding assistant coaches but as a golfer it does hit a nerve somewhat. It is somewhat evident that he doesn't think highly of the game.

But all in all I really don't care as it does not affect me at all.

I wonder if he will be invited to the annual coaches golf fundraiser they have?

What a smuck!!!

I can understand his position on it as he is trying to build a program at Georgia Tech. Helping to coach high school basketball was a year round commitment and left very little time for hobbies - college basketball is many times over more difficult. He obvious feels that this is important for his program to be successful, so I don't have any problems with it.

He's the coach, he makes the rules, it's his program he can build it how he wants. I think a good work life balance is key though so I don't think I could do that.

Also substitute golf with any other hobby/ running/woodworking etc. and I think it would clash with that philosophy.

Also substitute golf with any other hobby/ running/woodworking etc. and I think it would clash with that philosophy.

But none of those are automatically 5 hours.

44b5b474a549180cb680aff3dd05b1b5.jpg

Interesting.

This coach is going to burn him self out physically and mentally if he and his assistants are not taking 5 hours off for one day a week. I just went to a coaching clinic that talked about over working in college basketball and the effects it has on your health and family.

I'd like to think that there are jobs with higher stakes than college basketball, but it sure seems like jobs like that place a higher premium on downtime. Pastner outright says that the amount of time and energy he spends thinking about coaching basketball affects his family time. That's not healthy. The idea that he's touting his obsessive compulsive disorder, and attempting to leverage his assistants into similar acts of self-flagellation, is downright stupid. Later on, when his best athletes get ridden into the ground and request to transfer out, he can say the problem is that no one is as dedicated as him. He's building the pyre for his own martyrdom, and seeing how many people are willing to climb on with him.

But none of those are automatically 5 hours.

I'm sure your rounds aren't 5 hours. :angel:

How much time is a person expected to put in though at the facility/doing work for the program? 168 hours in a week assuming your superhuman and only sleep 3 hours a night leaves you with 147 hours if you put in 12 hour days 7 days a week that's only 84 hours, which leaves you with 63 hours to do whatever else, if 5 of those hours go towards golf, I don't think that cost you a national championship. Of course if you do that once a week then you lose 260 hours over the course of the year.

I dunno, to each there own.

Glad I don't work for him. Nor would I

Back