any oddball gap between certain iron or two thats sort of out of sync with the rest?

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Perhaps I need to get my (set matched) SW loft checked but to be honest its been this way since I own the set brand new.

Most my gapping is lets say 10-to-15 yards between most irons. However I get to me SW and not so. My my 8 is 150, 9iron is 140, pw is 125/130, my aw is 110/115. and that's all fairly ok. However I get to my sw and its like 90. All a sudden the gap becomes 20 to 25 yards and no longer the 10-to-15. My old set I was playing my sw to 100 and more but never with my new set. So basically Im not really happy with this 25ish yrd gap. I find myself too often between my gw and sw for a full shot and somewhere in that 25yrd non club area. Perhaps I need to get my loft checked but again its been this way from new. I do have fitted lengths and lie clubs so these were not off the shelf and I am just confused with this.

Are there any out of sync gaps in your sets of irons that don't quite match the rest of the gaps. I would think a match set would keep all gaps fairly in sync. But 20/25yrds is just a bit much and not happening in any other gap spot in my iron line up. I do tend to hit my 7i a bit longer so my gap between 7 and 8 is the only spot that consistently leans more towards the 15 yrd side of my 10/15 gap range. But that's about it and still is pretty much on par with all else. Anyway what say you??

You could get your SW bent 1° strong. That should reduse the gap a little..

Last edited:
Nope no glaring gaps here. It could be a contact issue on why you have such a large gap.

Nope no glaring gaps here. It could be a contact issue on why you have such a large gap.

That was my first thought too. Could be coming in a little steep with the SW or hitting it a bit high and it's causing it to hit a bit short. I'm only seeing like a 5y extra gap. That could easily be contact/form.

That big of a gap at 100 yards would drive me nuts and lead to a lot of bad wedge play

That was my first thought too. Could be coming in a little steep with the SW or hitting it a bit high and it's causing it to hit a bit short. I'm only seeing like a 5y extra gap. That could easily be contact/form.

To be honest, I do hit both my aw and sw pretty well with full shots. Its not like I struggle to hit my sw so I don't think its a contact thing. But ya never know, maybe even though I hit it nicely I am just doing something different. Perhaps not swinging fully or something? But I think i'll have to get the loft checked. Who knows? maybe it was off from the day I got it. However, a recent swing tweak via a lesson may now change things but too soon to tell. Perhaps next round or range session i'll see a difference. But fwiw hitting off matts is not always as telling as real world but having been hitting off the same matts for a long time I can still judge vs the past. we'll see.

I don't really have any gaps between irons and wedges that are glaringly odd, I have a bit of a gap between my SW and LW but pretty sure thats due to me and not the clubs. (trying to keep my hands in a forward press during the swing has been something new to me)

Sand Wedge part of the set or a muscleback wedge?

I had a problem with gapping like this with my cavity backs going into my wedges. The stronger lofts on my set clubs 4 - GW are actually like an older set of 2 - a weak PW when you look at club lofts (compare to a bladed set). So my 56 Vokey was about 20 yds shorter. I tried bending the Vokey to 54 degrees but it didn't feel right. Plus there is a real difference in swing weight between them. So I ended up buying the set wedges for SW and LW, and carrying a Callaway 64 wedge for bunker shots. I pulled my 3W to make room for the extra wedge since I never hit the 3W anyway.

Typically I don't use a full wedge shots anymore shorter than a GW.

One thing though, due to my height, I tend to have a slight pull with my sand wedge, LW and 64. I've tried to fix it and end up shanking, so now I just play for the pull.

My pw is 44*-125 and next is my 50* 100. I've been choking down on pw to compensate. I plan on getting new sticks next year and will revisit gaps then.

My pw is 44*-125 and next is my 50* 100. I've been choking down on pw to compensate. I plan on getting new sticks next year and will revisit gaps then.

that's what I do with my gw when I need to fall somewhere in that 20 yrd gap.

Back