The Official Tiger Woods Thread

I've been reading bit by bit this morning. I'm not really sure what to think. Demons for days, but come on man -- It almost reads like talent thrown away.

My impression from the article is that it almost seemed like he played golf for his dad. Once his dad passed away, it almost seems like it "freed" him up to pursue his other interests. Again, just the impression I get from reading the article.

My impression from the article is that it almost seemed like he played golf for his dad. Once his dad passed away, it almost seems like it "freed" him up to pursue his other interests. Again, just the impression I get from reading the article.

I read it as though golf was a constant reminder of the times he shared with his dad, and it became a painful thing to play after his father died.

It's a very good and enlightening article. But I did keep waiting for Tiger to yell "Rosebud!!"

I read it as though golf was a constant reminder of the times he shared with his dad, and it became a painful thing to play after his father died.

I can see what you mean. I guess I just read as once his dad passed away golf didn't seem as important to him since it no longer would keep his family "together" like it did when his career was first taking off. Seems like immediately after his dad died is when his obsession with the SEAL training and everything took over. I don't know if that was to honor his father, or if that's what his real interest was in, but reading the article is sounds like he was more interested in the SEAL stuff than he was golf after his dad died.

I really enjoyed the article. Not saying what he's done (or hasn't done) is right or moral, etc. However I think the guy is just a different kind of guy. Very introvert. The part of the story talking about how he used to call up those woman just to tell them mundane things about his day and stuff are strange. After he lost his dad I think he just got lost with all the fame and spotlight. The military stuff seemed to be a fantasy world for him.

Videos of him bombing drivers today gave me chills. As did his custom driver and shoes... Mostly I just want tiger to come back strong so I can hang on to my youth for another 5-10 years.

Tiger's exit from golf has not been physical - that has been perfectly clear. He doesn't have it mentally any more. Can he get if back? That's still to be seen.

Tiger's exit from golf has not been physical - that has been perfectly clear. He doesn't have it mentally any more. Can he get if back? That's still to be seen.
His back and surgery have nothing to do with his absence? Wow that's news to me

I hate that people base Tiger's legacy on what happened to him and his wife. It seems like he gets more hate than President Clinton.

It gets exhausting hearing people say "he's done, stop talking about him." I wish he would come back and at least beats Snead's all time PGA tour win record and make all the "so called" analyst eat their words.

Clearly, I love to see him win more majors but that's a tall task and time will tell.

Even if he doesn't win again, I wish people would talk about what he has done instead of the "what if" game.

I for one, would live to see him return and be successful. I DO NOT think he is done!

I hate that people base Tiger's legacy on what happened to him and his wife. It seems like he gets more hate than President Clinton.

Its all about thresholds. I mean we could make the case that OJ Simpson is the greatest running back ever, but he will not be remembered for that. That Pete Rose was the greatest MLB player ever, but he will not be remembered for that. And I am certainly not comparing any of these to anybody else and what they do in their social life, but sports fans have different thresholds. Some dont care about anything except winning, others care about how fans are treated, or an image that was fabricated for dollars.

Neither is right or wrong, but at the end of the day, everybody will have a different opinion.

Its all about thresholds. I mean we could make the case that OJ Simpson is the greatest running back ever, but he will not be remembered for that. That Pete Rose was the greatest MLB player ever, but he will not be remembered for that. And I am certainly not comparing any of these to anybody else and what they do in their social life, but sports fans have different thresholds. Some dont care about anything except winning, others care about how fans are treated, or an image that was fabricated for dollars.

Neither is right or wrong, but at the end of the day, everybody will have a different opinion.

Yeah, I know but it's just a shame. It seems like people are "what have you done for me lately."

Yeah, I know but it's just a shame. It seems like people are "what have you done for me lately."

I think a lot of that is manufactured by the constant press around him. I can't remember the last time his golf skill was covered rather than his exploits/injuries/withdrawals.

Hard to think about the great golf when it's not been covered in many years.

I think a lot of that is manufactured by the constant press around him. I can't remember the last time his golf skill was covered rather than his exploits/injuries/withdrawals.

Hard to think about the great golf when it's not been covered in many years.

I couldn't agree more about the press and social media around him. "I can't remember the last time his golf skill was covered rather than his exploits/injuries/withdrawals." --> isn't that the truth.

You could also probably throw in that "everybody" has a swing fix for him or believe that they know what the problem. Considering Tiger is second on the all time majors and pga tour wins, I have to think he knows the game.

Tiger hitting driver yesterday

Tiger hitting driver yesterday

Yeah, I saw that. I wonder if you created poll with "want him back" or "don't want him back," what the outcome would be.

I couldn't agree more about the press and social media around him. "I can't remember the last time his golf skill was covered rather than his exploits/injuries/withdrawals." --> isn't that the truth.

You could also probably throw in that "everybody" has a swing fix for him or believe that they know what the problem. Considering Tiger is second on the all time majors and pga tour wins, I have to think he knows the game.

What golf skill though? The last 2.5 years he has done virtually nothing on the golf course other than mostly train wrecks (comparatively towards his career). Comebacks, then setbacks, then comebacks, then W'Ds, then setbacks. Then comes out with "prgressing" on his own, to get people talking (he is a lot of things, dumb is not one of them).

What should the media be talking about, as it pertains to Tiger Woods? Are they supposed to go back to the last major win years? Or better yet, why not talk about the current crop of stars that are playing at a ridiculously high level?

The media is lazy, they like click bait and easy teasers and they know they can keep the super fans glued with the talk rather than create stories on the new stars of today.

American culture loves to build people up and it loves more to tear them down. The only thing it loves more than that...is a come back story.

American culture loves to build people up and it loves more to tear them down. The only thing it loves more than that...is a come back story.

And puppies. Dont forget about puppies.

Nice swing. It doesn't have that violent hip jerk in the past. Looking good.

I hope he plays at the Players. More than that, I hope he wins and shuts up the haters and speculators.

I just hope that if he comes back his PLAY actually warrants all the coverage he's going to get.

The media is lazy, they like click bait and easy teasers and they know they can keep the super fans glued with the talk rather than create stories on the new stars of today.

There are parts of this I agree with wholeheartedly. The media is lazy. They will go back hard on Tiger. But I can't say I blame them. Tiger gets eyeballs. So who is to blame. The media or the casual golf fan they are so desperately trying to attract. Tiger attracts those casual fan like none of the current crop of young guns has done.

Saying that, I have been surprisingly impressed with the how the golf media has aggressively promoted the new big 3 over the last 6 months. Obviously they were forced to with Tiger being out. At this point they won't abandon promoting Rory, Jordan and the others. The writing is clearly on the wall regarding Tiger.

Back