Question for Freddie on the Downswing - Hip and hand movement

Linkster@FM

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a question for you Freddie on the downswing. You helped me with first part of the downswing (move the left hip away from the ball). Now, I am trying figure out my weight shift and hand movement through to impact. Here is what I am thinking (I submit this for your review):

Downswing: Drive forward with right inside foot to move the right hip into right field (as the left hip moves away from the ball). Hold the wrist angle till the club is parrallel to the ground. As the right hip makes the move to right field, the left leg straightens and the hands move quickly to right field and release the wrist hinge through the ball. (I was tending to swing across the ball with too much early extension of the right elbow, resulting in way too much fade).

I humble submit this last paragraph to you for a critical review. Please tell me if I am on the right track or if this is a recipe for disaster. I know I probably spend way too much time thinking about swing mechanics... But this is a fun challenge for me. And I really want to get better. Thanks in advance for your insights!

I am not Freddie so take this for what its worth. IMO actively trying to hold the lag rarely works. It should happen on its own. Chase your belt buckle with your right elbow and turn. The front leg straightening that late seems a little out of sequence but I could easily be wrong. Trying to fire your right hip to right field seems like it might lead to ott. You are just trying to create room for the hands arms not get the right hip off its location and the top of the swing, just clear the hips, tuck the elbow and turn while trying to make the left are speed up like it was throwing something. Bump the hips, get the arms and elbow in a good position and turn.

I am new when it comes to trying to learn the bio mechanics of a golf swing so I could be wrong about some or all of that.. Listen at your own risk.

How come I think Freddie is just going to say "bury the knuckles of your left hand."

I am not Freddie so take this for what its worth. IMO actively trying to hold the lag rarely works. It should happen on its own. Chase your belt buckle with your right elbow and turn. The front leg straightening that late seems a little out of sequence but I could easily be wrong. Trying to fire your right hip to right field seems like it might lead to ott. You are just trying to create room for the hands arms not get the right hip off its location and the top of the swing, just clear the hips, tuck the elbow and turn while trying to make the left are speed up like it was throwing something. Bump the hips, get the arms and elbow in a good position and turn.

I am new when it comes to trying to learn the bio mechanics of a golf swing so I could be wrong about some or all of that.. Listen at your own risk.

Thanks for insights! I appreciate it. Question on the "bump the hips"... Should this be to the target? Or, left hip away from the ball, while moving the right hip toward the target?

I like your idea about the right elbow chasing the belt buckle, as the right elbow has always been a big issue with me (straightens to early). I am going to work that into a drill. Much thanks!

I bump the hips toward the target first then start turning them which will move the left away but the separation of those 2 things might not even be noticeable but they are slightly separated. In my face on videos I like to draw a line straight up from the outside of my left foot. At the top of the backswing my left hip might be 4-6 inches off that and my first move is to bump the hip so it is inline with that then I will start them turning if that makes sense. That is just what I don though and might not be optimal or good for everyone.

How do you bury the knuckles of the left hand?

It's physically impossible to bury the knuckles into the turf while standing in your address position. But the theory is that when you want to hit down on the golf ball. Turn the knuckles of your left hand down at impact. This will release the club thru the ball. Not only release but also cover the ball.

The idea gets you from here:

73b0629629f169f523cad8725c618717.jpg

To impact and beyond

I'll vouch for the "bury the knuckles" thought. When done consistently it definitely helps.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

gotta simplify. just focus on a bump/pull of the left hip, maintain spine angle and everything else should be fine. what you are describing seems to be way too many things to think about!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gotta simplify. just focus on a bump/pull of the left hip, maintain spine angle and everything else should be fine. what you are describing seems to be way too many things to think about!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to simplify it down to those, since this is what I already do and am fighting with an extreme fade.

It's physically impossible to bury the knuckles into the turf while standing in your address position. But the theory is that when you want to hit down on the golf ball. Turn the knuckles of your left hand down at impact. This will release the club thru the ball. Not only release but also cover the ball.

To impact and beyond

Thanks, Freddie. I'll work on that. Do you normally do this with all swings? (Meaning, long, short irons and drivers)

Thanks, Freddie. I'll work on that. Do you normally do this with all swings? (Meaning, long, short irons and drivers)

The release will become natural. Work on this with a 7 iron. The rest will fall into place.

To impact and beyond

This picture is priceless in your explanation.

To impact and beyond
A good reminder and visual!

Panda,
Do you have a good drill that helps you keep your hands closer to your body on the downswing? I have a problem of my hands moving out towards the ball on the downswing.

Panda,
Do you have a good drill that helps you keep your hands closer to your body on the downswing? I have a problem of my hands moving out towards the ball on the downswing.

I would love to simplify it down to those, since this is what I already do and am fighting with an extreme fade.

I agree with c.a.eleric on a more simplified downswing. Im always working on my backswing, but rarely on my downswing. Maybe you can get ride of your fade by working on your backswing?

Back