just general banter and observations from a demo day

Art M

Reaction score
Handicap
about my recent experience at a demo day at a local mom/pop shop. there were 14 manufacturers reps with all the goodies. Some general facts that every brand i tried proved to be fact for me. with the driver, the shaft for me is stiff and heavy to give me the best flight. my goodness the stock stiff shaft in the jpx had the ball flying like a sand wedge. the most baffling of all tidbits i picked up, and i know this goes against everything common sense, the mare game improvement the iron, the poorer my hitting. In both the wilson booth and the srixon booth, both reps said they could "fix" my "you say fade i say slice" by swapping what i wanted to hit with something else. I thought i was hitting the f5 pretty well. straight flight to maybe a touch right of target, more fade than slice, with the 6 iron. He gave me a c200 and strong fade to slice. I have no idea why!! at the srixon booth, i was pureing the 545 and 745. maybe every fourth ball would fade a bit. the rep said if i can fix that, will you buy it? Umm, no! it's not the club it's me! I proceeded to do horrendously with the 355s! I have no idea why!! the srixon line is great for me. i could not hit a bad shot with the 6 or 8 iron of the 945s. they are great irons in look, feel, flight, and control. I hit f5, c200, ap1, ap2, 545, 745, 945, h5, ez forge. i do believe 545, 745, f5 are what i prefer. at the demo they also had had a little bit of "club clash" going on. After the shaft swaps, the best flight and distance for me was the wilson f5. jpx ez with motore sftiff shaft, xr16 with speeder 765. i would game any of those 3. the king line and i did not get along. and holy smokes was one of the f6 LOUD! the 355 was just okay.

so what, the moral is to be open to try different things. just because you are fifteen handicap, dont not hit ap2s or 945s. just because you are a 8 handicap dont forgo hitting the 545 or ap1. you never know. don't assume you are the norm. hit many drivers with an experienced fitter to help get your best results. get help if you need it. they had an instruction area where the mizuno trainer and fitter was giving advise. he said my turn and set up was good. my strike was dead center of the driver. i was not closing down the club, hitting like a slap shot and finishing for too long staying in the left shoulder high position. he gave me a couple drills to practice.

ps. my 13 year old son killed the wilson defy hybrids.....we could be a wilson family. lol

Where was this? Sounds like a great time! Did you hit the Mizuno stuff too? New sticks in your future?

I hit h5, ez forged, :jpx ez driver. I could game them all. Very nice. Joe and leighs performance center

sent by Art M

I hit h5, ez forged, :jpx ez driver. I could game them all. Very nice. Joe and leighs performance center

sent by Art M

Oh nice! You can have full access to the H5 after mine arrive on Wed. I've heard good things about Joe & Leigh's

Back