Official Ryder Cup Thread [Spoilers]

Next update in Wales will be 4:45pm local time, meaning no matter what they aren't going to get more than 3 more holes in because it gets dark at 6:45pm.

That reminds me, not only do you plan a tournament in a flippin Rain Forest, but the sun is only out for 15 minutes.

Whos stupid idea was it to involve Mrs. Pavin anyway? Is this normal? lets be honest, our guys look ridiculous and from what I understand its her fault.

I believe it was Mrs. Pavin's idea, according to her interviews. She wanted to elevate the position of the Captain's wife to something besides "arm candy", the normal involvement of a Captain's wife. As far as I'm concerned that is EXACTLY the position of the Ryder Cup Captain's wife, helps with some of the comfort factor of the hotel, heads up WAG group, be head cheerleader (and this is coming from a strong woman, who plays in an all male industry).

This is golf and the position of Captain's wife isn't the same as the First Lady. Crap like the uniforms, gear, etc needs to be handled by golfers and people who understand what a player needs to play not as an ego trip for control freaks.

Dang, I've been wanting to vent about that since I started hearing rumblings about how much Lisa Pavin was in control of matters that would effect and affect the actual golf on course.

Do not forget that the Ryder Cup ends no later than 6:43 pm Monday. Any matches still on the course are halved.

I believe it was Mrs. Pavin's idea, according to her interviews. She wanted to elevate the position of the Captain's wife to something besides "arm candy", the normal involvement of a Captain's wife. As far as I'm concerned that is EXACTLY the position of the Ryder Cup Captain's wife, helps with some of the comfort factor of the hotel, heads up WAG group, be head cheerleader (and this is coming from a strong woman, who plays in an all male industry).

This is golf and the position of Captain's wife isn't the same as the First Lady. Crap like the uniforms, gear, etc needs to be handled by golfers and people who understand what a player needs to play not as an ego trip for control freaks.

Dang, I've been wanting to vent about that since I started hearing rumblings about how much Lisa Pavin was in control of matters that would effect and affect the actual golf on course.

I agree 100%!! And Im glad you said what a lot of people are probably thinking. I for one would have loved to see someone like Nike do the Ryder Cup outifts.

Do not forget that the Ryder Cup ends no later than 6:43 pm Monday. Any matches still on the course are halved.

I did not know that. I still think they will be able to finish Sunday. Though they would need to get the first set of matches done today.

I agree 100%!! And Im glad you said what a lot of people are probably thinking. I for one would have loved to see someone like Nike do the Ryder Cup outifts.

Believe Nike did some of their stuff in 08. I am pretty sure they did the Sunday cloths.

who are we kidding? this won't go til that late on sunday. the euros will have this one wrapped up by sunday whether another ball is hit today or not. everything is just catering to them right now. they're dry, they're twitter'ing and having a good time, whereas our squad's all pissing and moaning about their rain suits, they can't twitter, it's not starting out well.

Believe Nike did some of their stuff in 08. I am pretty sure they did the Sunday cloths.

They did. But of course their captain was sponsored by them.

I'm catching DVR'd coverage right now so I'm not going to read any of these posts until I catch up. All I can say is that I'm early in the coverage and wonder if it would kill the camera people to wipe the dang camera lenses!?! Weather looks awful so far!!

I know I am kind of pandering here, but I would love to see what Sligo could do as far as RC outfits (even though they are north of the border).

They did. But of course their captain was sponsored by them.

yes. Though he did mention on how much they tested different apparel companies and fabrics. Also took input from the team on what they would feel comfortable in.

who are we kidding? this won't go til that late on sunday. the euros will have this one wrapped up by sunday whether another ball is hit today or not. everything is just catering to them right now. they're dry, they're twitter'ing and having a good time, whereas our squad's all pissing and moaning about their rain suits, they can't twitter, it's not starting out well.

Reminds me of something from a "what makes a good manager" seminar I went to a few years ago:

Good managers trust their teams to understand their jobs and do their jobs, understand that you can only manage results and expectations, not behavior, that micromanaging behavior results in resentment, and allow their teams to be themselves in pressure cooker situations. Bad managers don't trust their teams to understand or do their jobs, believe that micromanaging behavior will mean cohesive teamwork, and want everyone to work the same way under pressure situations.

I don't remember seeing either Pavin at that seminar.

I'm not a Monty fan but right now, his players are definitely in the catbird seat and appear to be much more relaxed. Looking at replay of the guys walking in, Euros were joking, laughing, etc. US guys, with exception of Overton/Watson, looked miserable and wound too tight.

It's almost comical how terrible the USA bags looked as they were coming in from the rain.

Actually they were not able to come in from the rain. All the caddies walked in at the same time and the bags formed their own weather system. Instead of a rain forest they have a bag forest.

I actually am pissed off at this point. We keep creating new ways to look stupid in front of the whole world and I for one am getting sick and tired of it.

And while I agree that the players will be more concerned for the equipment, being soaked to the bone with a cold wind blowing is no way to try to play winning golf. The object here Mrs Pavin is to win the cup not to make some GD statement about the role of the captain's wife. Shut up, go home and stay there please!

How pumped up do we think this team is about its leadership at this point? Heck and we thought the Montgumpery/Pavin match up would at least be a tie. Heck the Mont even got to take a shot at Seattle. "this is like a good day in Seattle". I just want to scream!!!

Dont forget the golf bags!

And there is no break or napping today. TC has a big day. New irons arriving for testing, resorts to speak to for the outing, the man never sleeps, just eats, drinks, and lives THP...Thanks for the sacrifice. HA!

I'm catching DVR'd coverage right now so I'm not going to read any of these posts until I catch up. All I can say is that I'm early in the coverage and wonder if it would kill the camera people to wipe the dang camera lenses!?! Weather looks awful so far!!

well, enjoy 4 holes of SWAMPY $hit

think Jim Furyk is still mad about not being in the first set of matches?

Reminds me of something from a "what makes a good manager" seminar I went to a few years ago:

Good managers trust their teams to understand their jobs and do their jobs, understand that you can only manage results and expectations, not behavior, that micromanaging behavior results in resentment, and allow their teams to be themselves in pressure cooker situations. Bad managers don't trust their teams to understand or do their jobs, believe that micromanaging behavior will mean cohesive teamwork, and want everyone to work the same way under pressure situations.

I don't remember seeing either Pavin at that seminar.

I'm not a Monty fan but right now, his players are definitely in the catbird seat and appear to be much more relaxed. Looking at replay of the guys walking in, Euros were joking, laughing, etc. US guys, with exception of Overton/Watson, looked miserable and wound too tight.

you know mary, you make a great point. despite all the fat jokes i've busted on monty, he's doing a fine job with his team. i'm afraid that this is going to get ugly for the US team.

Dang, doooods. You can't be giving away this whole thing after a few holes and some rain. We may have ugly pirate lettering on our bags and rainsuits that don't work, but we do have some pretty damn good golfers.

Maybe Mr & Mrs Pavin got this confused with the Walker Cup?

Surely that's where displays of pure amateurism are best displayed?

At least they remembered their clubs I guess...what a bunch of pilchards

Back