Nike MachSpeed Black Driver

hmmm. I wasnt too impressed, but again, I think it was the weight. How hard would it be to get one of the better shafts tipped for this?

Ya know, I really dont know. I believe I can send any shaft in to Nike to have tipped for us.

Ya know, I really dont know. I believe I can send any shaft in to Nike to have tipped for us.

That would be very interesting to see. Maybe the shaft just wasnt to my liking.

You can get any shaft tipped. Lol, I was checking out shafts for my Dymo. So for this release did they go back to the original Str8 fit tip?

It appears that way.

I like it! Don't get me wrong, all those different combo's were cool but I wonder if it was too much.

I have a feeling Ill be hitting these on the regular once PGA SS gets them in. They have to be wondering when I'm gonna actually buy a driver haha.

I do love the looks of these.
It appears that way.

I like it! Don't get me wrong, all those different combo's were cool but I wonder if it was too much.

I have a feeling Ill be hitting these on the regular once PGA SS gets them in. They have to be wondering when I'm gonna actually buy a driver haha.

I do love the looks of these.

I agree, I think they just look mean! They are asking to be hit. But when I did, I think I was wanting more.

Me too. I really loved the Dymo Str8, disliked the original Machspeed and I didnt have a good experience with the square Black. I think the feel just got to me a little. I wonder what the launch monitor would have said though. Now Im curious haha.
I agree, I think they just look mean! They are asking to be hit. But when I did, I think I was wanting more.

come back to the Outing and hit it again hehe
Me too. I really loved the Dymo Str8, disliked the original Machspeed and I didnt have a good experience with the square Black. I think the feel just got to me a little. I wonder what the launch monitor would have said though. Now Im curious haha.

I was able to get that birdie that always tells JB and GG great secrets to snatch me up a round head to swap out for the square headed MachSpeed Black that I have been reviewing and I will say that for me there was no comparison, the round headed MachSpeed was considerably longer and much much better to hit. I don't know if the square shape just messed with my head too much (I really don't think so) or if it was the difference in how much shallower the head of the square is (most likely) but the round driver for me was just flat out better. The head of the square is a good 1/2 inch shallower than the round and while that might not seem like a lot it really makes a big difference. I took the round MachSpeed out today and hit it pretty well....but.

There's always a but isn't there? I have been having my own little driver shoot out, more like a driver head to head type of deal going here with the Bridgestone J38 with the stock Fujikura Motore, the Nike MachSpeed Black with the Fubuki, and my old Cobra S9-1 with the Project X. Today the J38 and the MachSpeed got to come along for 18 holes and the entire front 9 I hit exclusively the MachSpeed, then on #9 I hit a good drive with it so I thought it would be a perfect time to pit the drivers head to head, see if I can hit a good one with the J38. I hit a good one and found the J38 to be a little longer. Not enough evidence to completely sway a vote just yet I went to the back 9 and planned on exclusively hitting the J38. It was going along well (that's for another thread) and on 15 I SMOKED one with it, I thought OK, here we go, let's smoke one with the MachSpeed and see what happens. Sure enough I SMOKED one with the MachSpeed (I know, who would have thought I'd hit 2 in a row like that?) leaving the tee box based purely on sound and feel I expected to see the ball I hit with the MachSpeed further, turns out I was wrong. The J38 was straighter and about 15 yds longer than the MachSpeed for me, now that's only 1 shot so more research is definitely needed and I'll continue to do so. I will tell you that the J38 being a low spin driver is probably the biggest reason that I've found this with a couple of well hit shots today.

So all that being said I definitely like the round head MachSpeed better, it seems to be a hotter face and it seems to setup to the eye better for me.

I'm really looking forward to trying out the round version of this driver, I almost bought the machspeed at the beginning of this year and kind of wish I had but the black with the round head makes that a very attractive driver.

Spent some time with the round version on the range last night. I'm starting to like this a little bit more now. Still not a 'hot' face but when you hit it dead center the ball jumps and you can actually feel it compress a bit. Even on toe shots the ball still goes 200-ish but you notice some extra flex in the shaft. It's definitely a light driver and takes a little getting used to but once you do it's a solid club. I don't notice the sound as much as I used to when I first hit it and actually think it's an improvement over last year's version.

Sorry I am just getting to this P4B, that was another excellent write up. stop doing that cause people are gonna start thinking I am man crushing, haha.

I was very interested to see that the J38 was longer. to me it sounds like you are going to continue to game that J38. I need to hit this now.

This driver looks really cool, but it wasn't really for me. The sound is better, but it's still unmistakebly Nike.

This driver looks really cool, but it wasn't really for me. The sound is better, but it's still unmistakebly Nike.

I completely agree!

Sorry I am just getting to this P4B, that was another excellent write up. stop doing that cause people are gonna start thinking I am man crushing, haha.

I was very interested to see that the J38 was longer. to me it sounds like you are going to continue to game that J38. I need to hit this now.
I'm still carrying both in my bag, I know that between the 2 of these drivers my future driver is definitely in my hands, just gotta figure out which one is the perfect match! Almost like an episode of the Bachelor, huh?

I would rather go with Man vs. Club.....lol
I'm still carrying both in my bag, I know that between the 2 of these drivers my future driver is definitely in my hands, just gotta figure out which one is the perfect match! Almost like an episode of the Bachelor, huh?

I'm loving the all black look!

yeah...so when Chris Harrison gives you the Love suite card....you gonna sleep with both of them or hold true to being a good man?

yeah...so when Chris Harrison gives you the Love suite card....you gonna sleep with both of them or hold true to being a good man?
I think the best way to find out if we're truly compatible is to see how well we can bond on every level, if that means sleeping with these like a dirty dog I'll have to do what I have to do in order to find my soul mate.

I think the best way to find out if we're truly compatible is to see how well we can bond on every level, if that means sleeping with these like a dirty dog I'll have to do what I have to do in order to find my soul mate.

there's a man who truly knows what it takes to be a THP Equipment Tester. I can learn so much from you

How does this driver compare to the current Vr driver?
Personally I cannot answer that as I have never hit the current Vr, I will say from purely a looks standpoint the MachSpeed Black has it beat handily. You're obviously looking for more than that though, sorry I can't help you.

Personally I cannot answer that as I have never hit the current Vr, I will say from purely a looks standpoint the MachSpeed Black has it beat handily. You're obviously looking for more than that though, sorry I can't help you.
Yeah, it does look good. I just want to know if I should get the Vr once it goes on sale or is this one really worth the money.

Back