Tell me about Augusta National.

claycribbs

Fear the Dolphin Swag!
Reaction score
Handicap
It's a never ending dream of mine that has yet to become reality. Traveling that glorious two hours up the road to Augusta to walk the hallowed grounds of Augusta National. To see the course in full bloom with the Azaleas in full bloom and to see Magnolia Lane. To see the greats struggle on the tricky greens and the Masters pressure is a dream of mine. I've heard stories of Augusta but tell me all about Augusta...... What is it that makes Augusta all that I've heard about? Tell me everything about Augusta.....

I lived in Augusta for 13 years and saw the Masters everyone of those years. I rented an apartment off Washington Rd which was only a mile from the front gate. The lady I rented it from had tickets in the family for years. She asked me if I liked golf and I said YES MAM! She would let me use her passes (2 of them) and told me just make sure you bring them back in case my daughter from Athens comes down. Man I was like a kid in a Toy store. Anyway Augusta National is so awesome! The first time you see it you will no doubt feel the vibes of being in such a "special" place. It's almost spirtual when you step on the grounds of Augusta National. I can tell you someone on here who knows more than any of us about the Masters. Slamming Sam. Give him a PM and he has the pics and a world of knowledge about that part of Georgia.... Maybe we will see you there one day Clay, playing for the Green Jacket!

went down for the 2009 Masters. That course is absolutely beautiful. There is not a blade of grass out of place. It is very hilly, more so than you see on TV. I have been to 3 of the 4 majors and 1 ryder cup. This tournament is run right. The prices are amazing. 1.25 for a drink, 1.75 for a sandwich. At the other tournaments you are paying 7.50 for a hot dog. The same goes for the merchandise area. Hats are 18-22 bucks, instead of 20-35. Also, there is plumbing all over the course, no porta's. They have attendants in every restroom and when someone comes out of a stall, someone goes in and makes sure its clean. Small things like that make the day enjoyable. I have some pics of my trip there on my FB page. If you want I can load some in this thread.

I have some pics of my trip there on my FB page. If you want I can load some in this thread.

Just send me a friend request and I can check them out!

A couple quotes on the Masters from a book of golf quotes I have:

"There is absolutely nothing humorous about The Masters. Here, small dogs do not bark and babies do not cry."
-Gary Player

"You start to choke when you drive through the gate. On the first hole, you just want to make contact with the ball."
-Hale Irwin

Bump bump bump

Actually they opened back up for play yesterday. I don't expect any invites to play.. so I'm not holding my breath.

Close as I will get to playing is next door @ Augusta Country Club.

I've been to Masters every year since '01. Sad to say I'm been bored lately going. I went this year to check out new driving range, pay respects to Amen Corner, and get autographs to left right after lunch.

I remember the first time I went to August, GA for business. All I wanted to do was drive by Augusta national. I know the street it was on and everything. So I took my rental car up and down the street looking for it. I expected some kind of grand entrance. I ended up riding by the course 3 times before I found it. If you aren't looking for it, you would never know it was there. The course is off kind of a main street. From the street all you see if a little security guard stand and a small sign that says Augusta National, members only. Here are some pictures of what you will see.

061014%2003%20Magnoilia%20Lane-large.jpg

augusta_gate.jpg

Actually they opened back up for play yesterday. I don't expect any invites to play.. so I'm not holding my breath.

Close as I will get to playing is next door @ Augusta Country Club.

I've been to Masters every year since '01. Sad to say I'm been bored lately going. I went this year to check out new driving range, pay respects to Amen Corner, and get autographs to left right after lunch.

if you ever get real bored you can always send me some badges, even practice round ones:banana:

if you ever get real bored you can always send me some badges, even practice round ones:banana:

haha Ddec.... my PM was already sent! hehe

How perfect is the Augusta National? This little story may illustrate it -

The spring after I moved to Augusta (1978), a longtime friend from my hometown called me and told me his father got two tix every year, and we could use them on Thursday. It became a tradition, as for about ten years we went on Thursdays. One year after a number of these Thursdays, we were at the corner of #2 just past the trap, watching from about 30 yards apart. Suddenly I heard him very excitedly calling me over to his vantage point - no golfers were playing at the moment so I had no idea what it could be. When I arrived he breathlessly pointed to a spot in the fairway about a yard from the cut line and said "Look - a weed!" Sure enough, there in the fairway was one lonely sprig of poa annua grass in the rye perfection.

After 10 years of that pass, my friend and his father, who had always had a tenuous relationship, had a falling-out that resulted in the demise of our Thursday tickets. Still, in my 33 years of Masters, I have managed to attend about 50 practice and tournament rounds, and managed to play it (Feb. 27, 1984 - I shot 41-37--78) and can tell you story after story of what I have seen there. It never gets old to attend.

Here some pics from Monday practice round this year:

masters10001.jpg

masters10006.jpg

masters10009.jpg

masters10012.jpg

masters10015.jpg

masters10020.jpg

masters10021.jpg

Wow thanks for the pics.

I know its stating the obvious, but the place looks amazing.

Just curious, is Augusta the only place where the ground staff have to those white overalls?

There are a few places where the caddies wear white overalls.

It is the only place I have ever been where you could probably drop your food on the fairways and eat it right off of them because they are probably tidier and cleaner than your plate. I might be embellishing a little but you get the point.

A must is go to the tee box on 16 during the practice around and sit in the bleachers and watch the shots off the tee and the approach shots into 15 and after everyone hits there initial tee shot on 16 they then try to skip one across the water on 16. It is hilarious to see the patrons boo the players when they fail.

You will love it and think about that for the rest of your life. It is that special. The only place I've been that is truly remarkable.

You will love it and think about that for the rest of your life. It is that special. The only place I've been that is truly remarkable.

well said and very true

Back