Center shafted putters

Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
What's the idea here? Are they better for someone that struggles in a certain way. i.e pull or push? Or something else? Is there a certain type of stroke that works best with a center shafted putter? More upright and over the ball, or more out in front?

I'd love some feedback, positive or negative, about center shafted putters. How this set up may have helped fix a putting problem, or how it didn't work. As a lefty, I don't see many to try in golf stores, but after seeing the Nead Mallet with the center shaft, I'm intrigued.

Kevin

I just find it easier to do a straight back and through stroke with a center shafted putter.

I have a center shafted seemore mfgp, and I use a straight back straight through stroke. However I've always used a blade before this. I think, as with anything, practice will teach you what is best. I love the feel of my seenore- but I dropped 5 strokes off my round with my method, there are critics; but this putter does what it neeeds too, gets the ball rolling straight and true- find your line and this putter will reward you

I can't do the straight back and through stroke but I could see where the center shafted putter would help that stroke.

I am very fond of the center shaft putter. It helps me frame the ball better thus puting a better line/roll on the ball. With heel shafted putters I tend to pull the ball more. With plumber type putters my mistates consist of cutting across the ball pushing it off line. With a center shafted model it is easier for me to put a pendelum like stroke on the ball with a more consistant roll. I am sure most of the errors I mentioned are not the othe type putters fault. I am open to try non center shaft putters if they fit my eye. Confidence is a big thing and the center shaft models bring that aspect to my putting game.

My all time favorite putter is a center shafted with an offset. The weight on this particular putter was just never right for me, but this type putter seem's to fit my simi SB/ST stroke.

P1020107.jpg

The design and weighting, head & toe, allows me to keep the putter head well under my nose with the ball slightly forward. I only wish this putter was in the 350 to 360g zone. Jumping from course to course, I struggled to get the feel. On slower greens having to lengthen my strock a bit, I had a bad habit of getting too handsy with it.

I have a center shafted Rife Barbados and it's a great putter. I don't have it in my bag because I have better distance control with my Cleveland.

I had a Odyssey WH #7 center shafted and It just did not work for me. I have more of an arc to my stroke and I just could not get the straight back and through stroke down. I had problems missing to the right because I was not able to release the putter head the way I needed to.

yes center shaft in theory helps sbst stroke, but really when you talk about different hosels its all about lining up correctly.

I have a SBST stroke, and have always suffered from pulling my putts. One day I was in a golf store and saw an Odyessy WH #7 center shaft and had never hit anything so straight. I now hit a Seemore FGP, which has a center shaft. I dont know the science behind it, but it works for me.

Try looking on e-bay or a local shop for a cheap used LH center shafted putter and try it before investing in a nice putter. Or if you find yourself playing with a fellow lefty who happens to be gaming a CS putter...

I'm the unique one here I guess...

I love my CS putters but I in no way have a SBST stroke. I'm in the minority grouping all together as I'm a firm believer it's just about what feels best to you as far as toe hang and face balance and the belief that one is for a specific type of stroke is far overblown and way overgeneralized, in this game you it's truly different strokes for different folks. Face balance is great with my arc'ed stroke, but, for some people that's not the case. Another reason I love putters, SO personal to YOUR game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really struggle with center-shafted putters. I have an arc in my swing, and even though it is slight I still tend to leave my putts out to the right with face balanced putters. In the same manner, I tend to struggle in a putter without an offset (my miss again being to the right).

I agree with everyone else here- if you have a SBST putting stroke center shafted putters are the way to go for you.

A number of years ago in Cheeseland there was a local guy named Jerry Korte (sp?) who was known as a putting guru. He worked with a number of the best amateurs in the state, and developed a putter he called The Yes Putter. This was before the other company. Anyway, I knew I had one these weird things somewhere, and did some digging through my garage clubs this morning. I found it in a box with some old irons, and lo and behold, it has a center shaft. I put it in play today to try the center shaft while focusing on really making a SBST stroke. What do you know? I actually made some putts. This thing has a flow neck, which looks to be about a quarter shaft offset. I think this will be the way I go. A little more research left.

Anybody use a center shaft with offset?

Kevin

A number of years ago in Cheeseland there was a local guy named Jerry Korte (sp?) who was known as a putting guru. He worked with a number of the best amateurs in the state, and developed a putter he called The Yes Putter. This was before the other company. Anyway, I knew I had one these weird things somewhere, and did some digging through my garage clubs this morning. I found it in a box with some old irons, and lo and behold, it has a center shaft. I put it in play today to try the center shaft while focusing on really making a SBST stroke. What do you know? I actually made some putts. This thing has a flow neck, which looks to be about a quarter shaft offset. I think this will be the way I go. A little more research left.

Anybody use a center shaft with offset?

Kevin

Kevin, I know this is not a mallet, but the picture I posted above is slightly short of center shafted and offset by about that much. The next putter I make will have this setup. You can get your nose over the top of this thing so far your almost able to align with your toes, haha.

Couple more angles. This thing putts like a dream, I may just add some lead tape.
P1020106.jpg

P1020108.jpg

Duey, when you say it's just short of center shafted, was the putter face balanced, or would it have just a tiny amount of toe hang? Having the shaft back just a touch from the center might take away the slight feeling I get that the ball is actually toward the heel when I look down at address on a center shaft. The feeling concerns me a bit.

Kevin

Duey, when you say it's just short of center shafted, was the putter face balanced, or would it have just a tiny amount of toe hang? Having the shaft back just a touch from the center might take away the slight feeling I get that the ball is actually toward the heel when I look down at address on a center shaft. The feeling concerns me a bit.

Kevin

I'll take a couple pictures while I'm watching the Raiders get whooped on, lol. Its really close to face balanced. The shaft comes in at an angle and the very front of the shaft connects right at the back of the yellow sightline in the center of the shaft. I checked using Gene's method and the toe just barely hangs, like one or two degrees.

I just find it easier to do a straight back and through stroke with a center shafted putter.

+1

I love my center shafted White Hot #8 and think it's easier to keep it square through impact.

I have to say when I won my current putter on THP and saw the center shaft I instantly knew I wouldnt use it... then I tried it, my first putt was from about 13 feet and I drained it. I never looked back or thought twice about it from there on out. My old putter was heel mounted and I seemed to push a lot of putts.

I'll take a couple pictures while I'm watching the Raiders get whooped on, lol. Its really close to face balanced. The shaft comes in at an angle and the very front of the shaft connects right at the back of the yellow sightline in the center of the shaft. I checked using Gene's method and the toe just barely hangs, like one or two degrees.

I just posted a couple of what may be obviously answered or stupid questions for Gene in the Nead Putter thread. I'm starting to see the Biti mallet in my mind. At first center shafted, but now maybe just back from center.

Kevin

I just posted a couple of what may be obviously answered or stupid questions for Gene in the Nead Putter thread. I'm starting to see the Biti mallet in my mind. At first center shafted, but now maybe just back from center.

Kevin

Hey, that Biti Mallet's about the prettiest putter I've ever seen and if you like putting with a mallet you can't go wrong here. Heck, if Gene would send one around to all us Hackers to take turns for one day each he might sell a couple hundred, haha.

Here's the pictures of my old Slotline to answer your earlier questions..
P1030392.jpg

P1030394.jpg

This one show's how close to face balanced it is: (sitting on the cat's play house, haha)
P1030397.jpg

Thanks for those Duey. Decisions, decisions. Hopefully Gene will see and get a chance to answer my questions in the other thread.

Kevin

Holy Cow I would love to have that Nead putter in a center shaft set up duey !!!!
That thing is a beaut !
I may just have to sell my guitars and amps to have one made !!!

esox, we just had 5-6 testers spend most of last night testing a variety of putters, and one of those was the center shafted variety. here's the link if you are interested:

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?14852-2011-THP-Putter-Roundup

i can also tell you that i spent the past two days putting with the SeeMore Si1, which is a center shafted putter with an insert. i can honestly say that it will be my next putter. it really helped me reduce the amount of pushed putts i normally see during a round and i found that i was leaving myself with much more manageable second putts.

Back