THP Contests.........and the future

But people are saying that some stuff is 'worth' the effort more than others. I did not enter the shoe contest because I just got new shoes, and that its winter now and someone could probably get some good use out of them right away (especially if theyre burnt down to the soles). Companies care about giving away free stuff, and when alot of people want it, Im sure companies feel good about it. Personally I think it could boil down to the fact that although most appreciate these contests, we have all been spoiled.
Lol. Nothing about it not being good enough. I'm sensing sarcasm but if not, that's probably not the best way to generate buzz.

Being spoiled is NOT a bad thing if you appreciate it. I have no problem saying that JB and GG and the rest of the THP team has spoiled us with contests. Ill admit it, and I appreciate the chance every single time.

Maaaaaaaaaaaan, Yoccos, why do have do go and make sense like that? LOL

Ugh, yea I probably got a little overzealous last night. I really don't want to make this a thing that people feel guilty or are offended. I think that TC and I tend to be pretty passionate about THP and want to see it continue to be the best site out there. Believe it or not, contests are a really big part of that. It's not that companies are guaging interest in a specific product as much as they are looking at our general excitement and participation in things. If they see a bunch of guys that get excited about something little they are more likely to want to do the big things like send us a bunch of equipment to hack around with in Florida.

This wasn't really a personally directed thing, but more of a call-out to say, "Hey, let's participate more as a group." Unfortunately, emotions can take over when you are talking about something you are personally vested in and the efforts of good friends. It sort of upset me to hear things like "it's a tax break" or "other sites don't need contests" after we explained how important they really are to the site. I probably could have made my points a little better. My bad on that.

Also, there is nothing wrong with choosing not to participate in every contest. Perfect example: the Tour Spot logo contest. I suck at art in a bad way and had no business ugly-ing up that thread, so I chose not to put anything in. That's a good kind of contest to throw out some words of encouragement to the entrants for the great stuff they are putting out there :)

Wow, I'm a little in shock over this thread....

My background is in marketing and both sides of the debate on why contests are held are both true. Gauge interest in a product and generate buzz. Sometimes it's not the entries but what goes on in the thread that can generate buzz. I agree with TC, companies do look at contest/threads to gauge how far THP reaches. But I'm pretty sure content is also a big part.

On that note... I would also like to point out if people are participating because they felt guilty or "pushed" into it, does that say anything positive about a companies product? Do we all think they don't read through this thread too? Believe me, I know entries count for something but content counts too.

I'm only a member on two online forum sites (this and a sports card collecting one) and while I don't take offense to anything anyone has said, I can't help but feel some resentment. Not directed at anyone in particular but that's the tone I get from this thread. I'm kinda pissed that I even feel bad for not particpating in a GPS/Shoe contest when I just didn't want to be greedy. I'm thinking, I just bought a GPS... Man, I don't want this place to be divided and clique'ish. For some of us that have been here awhile, leading by example might be the key. I didn't know forum etiquette at first and I'm still learning. Honest, sincere thoughts would seem more like the THP way.

Well I entered the Adidas shoes and the GPS contest. The TM putter contest.... I will sit out since I'm a lefty. I appreciate all the time, work, and effort that is put into every contest from the mods.

It was a fun contest and a blast trying to figure out what I was going to do. I have the worst time trying to get my ideas to come out & across in words so if I type something most will think I'm in 4th grade but that always has been a problem of mine. LOL Yet I try my best! So just bare with me when you read my entry into a contest or feedback on a product.

It is a shame that some don't take the time to enter a contest for free goodies or only show up when a contest comes around. I understand some circumstances where you already have something similar, just not your brand/liking, or its the wrong hand.

I talked to TC about the TM blank ball testing. Both agree we aren't against trying free goodies. Well if he ever gets his balls to try!! :D I know some items I would never use as a gamer item but it doesn't stop me for trying it out because I enjoy doing that. The yellow e6 ball.... I knew going in that isn't the ball I would ever use. However, I really loved the color. I tested it anyway just because I also think is human nature to be curious and sometimes you are suprised what you find out.

Hawk!!! I believe you and TC on what you guys say about contests. Don't doubt that at all. You guys are very passionate about this site. I've had the pleasure of meeting you and a few others so I know what the intent was and it wasn't to be mean. I got a better understanding of the need to particpate more in all the contests from this thread for sure. I just felt I had to get that out. I love it here. Home away from home thats for sure.

Ugh, yea I probably got a little overzealous last night. I really don't want to make this a thing that people feel guilty or are offended. I think that TC and I tend to be pretty passionate about THP and want to see it continue to be the best site out there. Believe it or not, contests are a really big part of that. It's not that companies are guaging interest in a specific product as much as they are looking at our general excitement and participation in things. If they see a bunch of guys that get excited about something little they are more likely to want to do the big things like send us a bunch of equipment to hack around with in Florida.

This wasn't really a personally directed thing, but more of a call-out to say, "Hey, let's participate more as a group." Unfortunately, emotions can take over when you are talking about something you are personally vested in and the efforts of good friends. It sort of upset me to hear things like "it's a tax break" or "other sites don't need contests" after we explained how important they really are to the site. I probably could have made my points a little better. My bad on that.

Also, there is nothing wrong with choosing not to participate in every contest. Perfect example: the Tour Spot logo contest. I suck at art in a bad way and had no business ugly-ing up that thread, so I chose not to put anything in. That's a good kind of contest to throw out some words of encouragement to the entrants for the great stuff they are putting out there :)

You guys are so serious this morning and making so much sense its scary. Stop it.

Good point guys. No one wants to be strong armed and in most situations when the backed into a corner syndrome hits, they will fight back. Good point too about the drawing the logo contest. Hell I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, so in that particular contest, I would have to be a cheerleader. Making an effort to comment in the contest thread is good info for the company, even if you are not interested in their product. Something is better than nothing.

You guys are so serious this morning and making so much sense its scary. Stop it.

I feel scary today. Or look scary. I'm certain my breath is scary, hehehehe.

Yea, I think this one has run its course.

Well as you know I've dedicated myself to becomming more serious as time goes on. It's something I take serious. No carts allowed!

Lol. Yeah so true. All counts ZING!!!!
I feel scary today. Or look scary. I'm certain my breath is scary, hehehehe.

Yea, I think this one has run its course.

I love this site, I really do. It's a great community and 1 of only 2 I am a member of (the other being a comic book message board). I'll toss my opinion in here....

Having contests here is a really great thing. It can serve so many functions to so many people.

I frequent this site a lot. Most of the time it is a quick in and out to check out the hot threads of the moment. There have been MANY contests I would love to have participated in (I'm looking at YOU Tour Spot contest!) but simply didn't have time due to work and personal schedules. If I had the time, I would enter every contest, but it isn't a realistic possibility for me although I greatly appreciate the opportunity to do so. In regard to the OEM's, it may not be a discernable metric but the existence of the contest is probably the best (and cheapest) form of advertising they can employ.

That being said, work becons. Later dudes and dudettes.

let's break this down like a fraction....

(OEM supplies stuff + THP reputation) + (contest + high participation) = OEM's who see the interest and participation and are willing to do more things like that in the future witht he potential for really big and cool items based on previous interest and participation.

Just my opinion and mine alone but if I were and OEM and saw minimal interest or participation in a contest that I was supplying stuff for I may be leery about doing something like that again. Sure there are exceptions tot he case but if it was a consistent trend then that should be cause for alarm. Especially since THP is already behind the 8 ball with being one of the only places on the net that can actually spell 'embargo date' let alone honor one.

THP is more than just contests but those said contests (and its members) are what makes THP different from all the other sites out there. Let's all try to do out part to keep it that way

(OEM supplies stuff + THP reputation) + (contest + high participation) = OEM's who see the interest and participation and are willing to do more things like that in the future witht he potential for really big and cool items based on previous interest and participation.

Just my opinion and mine alone but if I were and OEM and saw minimal interest or participation in a contest that I was supplying stuff for I may be leery about doing something like that again. Sure there are exceptions tot he case but if it was a consistent trend then that should be cause for alarm. Especially since THP is already behind the 8 ball with being one of the only places on the net that can actually spell 'embargo date' let alone honor one.

THP is more than just contests but those said contests (and its members) are what makes THP different from all the other sites out there. Let's all try to do out part to keep it that way

exactly! I know I am guilty of not entering the last contest, but I understand that if I was a company and offered you a driver(or anything else) for contest and found out that of over 1,200(for example) members you only got 20 or less entries I would not be thrilled. If a company doesn't think we are holding our own that could affect us in the future with other contests, clubs reviews, and the future THP Outings.

TC & HANK
Point noted & understood.
I am one who don’t enter hardly @ all for different reasons & don’t post on the threads. But seeing the point to acknowledge the sponsor of the contest, I will try & get over this "crisco idias" (lard a$$ disease . LOL) and make a post on contest.

I never thought of it this way. I haven't entered a bunch of contests because I didn't think I would really use the prize. My thoughts were that someone else would get more use out of it. I guess I will enter more often so it will help keep the contests coming.

I haven't entered contests in a while, mainly its because the product just isn't for me. I guess I could've entered and given it away, but for those interested, I wanted to give them a fair chance!

I actually forget there are contests going on. Honestly, it slips my mind. I generally look at four or five forums and not that upper level. Also, like a lot of people, when there is a contest that I've noticed, and it's something I wouldn't use as a lefty, or something I have, or my daughter has, I truly thought it's more polite to let others have a chance to win it.

I've also sometimes been a bit uncomfortable at the thought of entering every contest. It gives me the feeling I'm grubbing for "free stuff".

On the other hand, this is not the first time this has been mentioned on the site. There have been threads about entering contests and congratulating contest winners before. Since I've forgotten or neglected to do both on numerous occasions, I've found myself thinking I should just stay out of those situations in general. Maybe that's ill advised thinking. I know when I see the "12 Days" prizes, I'm blown away and really interested in some of the stuff, but then feel a tad guilty, because I've not been a loyal and steady contest participant. Who wants to win a big prize with the worry that other more "loyal" members may be saying, "Oh sure, he rarely enters, but when he does, he wants to win the best stuff."

It's very conflicting. There's a lot going in here, and I don't often keep track of all of it.

And this post probably doesn't even make sense.

Kevin

I actually forget there are contests going on. Honestly, it slips my mind. I generally look at four or five forums and not that upper level. Also, like a lot of people, when there is a contest that I've noticed, and it's something I wouldn't use as a lefty, or something I have, or my daughter has, I truly thought it's more polite to let others have a chance to win it.

I've also sometimes been a bit uncomfortable at the thought of entering every contest. It gives me the feeling I'm grubbing for "free stuff".

On the other hand, this is not the first time this has been mentioned on the site. There have been threads about entering contests and congratulating contest winners before. Since I've forgotten or neglected to do both on numerous occasions, I've found myself thinking I should just stay out of those situations in general. Maybe that's ill advised thinking. I know when I see the "12 Days" prizes, I'm blown away and really interested in some of the stuff, but then feel a tad guilty, because I've not been a loyal and steady contest participant. Who wants to win a big prize with the worry that other more "loyal" members may be saying, "Oh sure, he rarely enters, but when he does, he wants to win the best stuff."

It's very conflicting. There's a lot going in here, and I don't often keep track of all of it.

And this post probably doesn't even make sense.

Kevin

IMHO, your longevity with THP as well as your writing skills make you as "Loyal", or more so than most of the rest of us here. I think everyone here loves Esox!

There are plenty of people that just sign up for this place to participate in a contest and then they are never heard of again. I've never heard of being required to enter any contest. I'd love to see ya win something because I'm sure you'd have an elaborate and humerous post about whatever it might be.

I am lucky enough to have won a few things in the past, and I'm very appreciative, but I fail to keep abreast of all the contests. After I missed quite a few, I'll admit to kind of putting them out of my mind in most cases. I haven't entered one in quite some time.

Kevin

very true

very true

I know this is sounds like a bunch of horse manure, but some folks don't enter contests because they flat don't feel lucky. I know it's not a good reason, however those who stop entering, don't even consider not supporting the companies involved. It's simply after entering two or three contests and no wins they just give up.

Thats exactlly the reason I dont enter the last few contest.

i know that there are some out there who are disappointed, and i get the impression that there are some who don't understand why certain forum members are selected over others, and i'm 100% sure that some of you look at me in this situation and think it's completely unfair that i was selected for this process, especially b/c i was selected by Taylormade for the 2.0 seeding. i am sorry that you weren't selected and i wish that everyone could be, but unfortunately, that's just not possible.

in this case, i am honored to be selected and i feel as though i am a deserving candidate. i am active on this forum and i take great pride in being able to assist others, answer questions, and help anyone with any sort of research or equipment pondering based on my experiences. i also feel as though i have a good track record when it comes to previous reviews for other companies and their products here on THP. it's one thing to apply, get selected, and post your findings once, but it's another thing to keep up with your testing process, keep updating the thread, and most importantly, to be here to answer questions from other forum members when it comes to your findings/results/testing.

seeding is a wonderful things and i do hope that many others get selected in the future, and chances are you will, but those chances greatly increase by participating and getting to know other forum members via conversation here. i take this process very seriously, and perhaps i was chosen by cleveland b/c they appreciated the effort i put forth in prior testing.

again, i want to congratulate those selected, i think you will all do a wonderful job, and for those of you who may be bitter or confused, please support these testers b/c it is a wonderful opportunity and they'll need your support in order to ensure that processes like these continue to take place.

This was so well said I want to frame it.

i know that there are some out there who are disappointed, and i get the impression that there are some who don't understand why certain forum members are selected over others, and i'm 100% sure that some of you look at me in this situation and think it's completely unfair that i was selected for this process, especially b/c i was selected by Taylormade for the 2.0 seeding. i am sorry that you weren't selected and i wish that everyone could be, but unfortunately, that's just not possible.

in this case, i am honored to be selected and i feel as though i am a deserving candidate. i am active on this forum and i take great pride in being able to assist others, answer questions, and help anyone with any sort of research or equipment pondering based on my experiences. i also feel as though i have a good track record when it comes to previous reviews for other companies and their products here on THP. it's one thing to apply, get selected, and post your findings once, but it's another thing to keep up with your testing process, keep updating the thread, and most importantly, to be here to answer questions from other forum members when it comes to your findings/results/testing.

seeding is a wonderful things and i do hope that many others get selected in the future, and chances are you will, but those chances greatly increase by participating and getting to know other forum members via conversation here. i take this process very seriously, and perhaps i was chosen by cleveland b/c they appreciated the effort i put forth in prior testing.

again, i want to congratulate those selected, i think you will all do a wonderful job, and for those of you who may be bitter or confused, please support these testers b/c it is a wonderful opportunity and they'll need your support in order to ensure that processes like these continue to take place.

nice write up TC....I hope people also realize that CLEVELAND picked the testers.

Well said TC!

I feel very honored that I got chose to be a tester and cant wait to help out other people in reporting my findings!

Back