The Home Course - Dupont, Wa

Oregon Golfer

#XBomb
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a new favorite course. Too bad I live 2 hours away. I tried this course out on Friday before playing Chambers Bay on Saturday.

Although it is somewhat new it is great. Pulling up you get the feeling that it was just built and it seems a little out of place for the surrounding. You soon forget about this when you start playing. The fairways are mid sized but many of the fairways are sloped, requiring a shot to a specific spot to accomidate a roll down slope. The greens are fantastic. Bent grass and nice & firm. Not too small and not so large that there is no challenge to hitting a GIR. The real beauty of this course is in the design. This was the 1st course I have played where you could see the magic of the design. From the tee the fairway would look wide open. After teeing off and heading down the fairway you would realize that slopes hid bunkers that were invisible from the tee box. Some of the tee boxes were angles just enough away from the center of the fairway to make you think about cutting a corner, this shot would be net with another unseen obstacle. My friends and I are already planning more day trips here abd we ca't wait.

I played the Home Course a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it too.
Did they get their clubhouse built? When I played there, the clubhouse was a trailer.

OG, thanks for the report on The Home Course. The pics on the website look great - have added this course to the must play list when I get back over that way! How did you like Chambers Bay?

@ Drumdog: No, the "Pro Shop" is still a portable trailer. I few of the bad things: the "pro shop", the food/drinks are sold by an outside vendor and they weren't there the day we played so we couldn't get any food/drink, and no compressed air to clean shoes/clubs/push cart. They appear to be putting all their money back into the actual course. My friends and I are already planning some summertime trips up to play 36/day.

@ The Professor: Chambers is nice. Very similar to Bandon Dunes. The difference is that Bandon seems like it has always been there and Chambers has that "just built" feeling. As far as playing conditions, very similar. The greens are rock hard fescue. Almost impossible to make a mark in the greens and they encourage you to bring your pull cart up onto the green. You MUST adjust your approach style as normal approach chips/pitches just simply won't hold onto the green 90% of the time. Very tough. If I had to pick between Bandon and Chambers I would pick Bandon 100% of the time. Also, Chambers has drastic elevation changes as it is built into the side of a hill. Oh, and no power carts like Bandon.

OG many thanks! I have not played Bandon yet - hoping to this winter if I get a chance to get over that way. It sounds like that would be the better initial trip compared to Chambers, although I will not miss Chambers if I am up that way as well!!

Back