G-Mac Leaving Callaway

Lets move the next signing(s) over to the PGA Tour sponsors rumors thread. Thanks guys.

good point, so is it cool if i share what i heard. like i said, don't know how much of it's truth, just what i heard.

good point, so is it cool if i share what i heard. like i said, don't know how much of it's truth, just what i heard.

You guys can share any rumors you want. That is what the rumor thread is for.

Lets move the next signing(s) over to the PGA Tour sponsors rumors thread. Thanks guys.

Of course. Can we use this thread to discuss the fact that TC appears to be sleeping with one of your sources instead, JB?

:wink:
when i rolled over in bed this morning and spoke with wifey-sister-who works with agents' cousins' great great nephew's boss who eats lunch with a man who works at a desk underneath the 3rd floor of the magazine journalist's agents' friend, and heard the same thing.

Kinda back on topic. I'd be very, very surprised if GMac backs out of a deal he'd agreed to, no matter the numbers being thrown at him by Callaway (if any). This just sounds right, as well as being confirmed by THP.

Kinda back on topic. I'd be very, very surprised if GMac backs out of a deal he'd agreed to, no matter the numbers being thrown at him by Callaway (if any). This just sounds right, as well as being confirmed by THP.

I would be too. From what we know of him (both from our time with the guy and the people around him), he is a very stand up guy. He will also be a great ambassador to the brand.

i'd agree completely! i often wonder how much money has to do with it or if it's being labelled a #1 or if it's being able to tinker more with one company? no doubt gmac was great with callaway but they do have phil and ernie, it'll be nice for srixon to have some spunk and gmac can bring that to the table for them.

It's understandable for people to assume this is about cashing in after a great year, but I have a feeling it might be about more than that.
We all know it's possible to play well with good equipment, but the man himself may feel like he can make another step with the stuff Srixon is putting out in the next while.

It's understandable for people to assume this is about cashing in after a great year, but I have a feeling it might be about more than that.
We all know it's possible to play well with good equipment, but the man himself may feel like he can make another step with the stuff Srixon is putting out in the next while.

that seems to be my thought as well. i would consider cashing in after a big year by littering your attire with logos and whatnot. perhaps he literally finds something about srixon superior. maybe it's the fact that he can tinker more, or b/c he would be the #1 guy in their stable. with the exception of robert allenby, srixon needs some personality and gmac can provide that wonderfully (i don't consider boo weekley the face of srixon, more for cleveland, even though i know they are one in the same)

Agree 1000000%. Lets not discount the fact that both companies make great equipment and many would feel it is a step up just as some feel its a step down. I do believe he will have more equipment freedom with Srixon. I also think he could be a major player in ad campaigns.

I mean who better than to launch a foreign brand's new line to US fans than a Euro golfer with an Alabama accent that may or may not have a beer belly, dresses kind of funny (we love it) and just beat TW one on one. If he keeps it up this could be the best signing in years.

even though i know they are one in the same)

I think you bring up a good point right here. Because to them and the tour staffs, they really are not one and the same. Same parent company, but outside of that, separate. They do share players in some facets (think wedges). And while Cleveland has Boo and Veej (as well as others), Srixon needed someone big and this is that guy.

I think you bring up a good point right here. Because to them and the tour staffs, they really are not one and the same. Same parent company, but outside of that, separate. They do share players in some facets (think wedges). And while Cleveland has Boo and Veej (as well as others), Srixon needed someone big and this is that guy.

yeah, that's how i meant to say it. the more i think about it, with the more i think about what srixon has coming out in the spring, it's a brilliant move!!!!

I agree. I think that people are really underestimating how much influence the quality Srixon's equipment has to do with this.

I still think this says more about the state of Callaway then anything else. For them to let this guy go after what he just did? And sure Cleveland / Srixon have some great equipment coming out this next year but nothing that Callaway cant match. And then you consider the talent, I think its an equipment wash.

Yeah Im sure Callaway and Srixon both can give him the tools he needs. But maybe he just wanted to be the #1 guy for a brand. Phil casts a big shadow.
I still think this says more about the state of Callaway then anything else. For them to let this guy go after what he just did? And sure Cleveland / Srixon have some great equipment coming out this next year but nothing that Callaway cant match. And then you consider the talent, I think its an equipment wash.

Do you think that Callaway and Srixon are going after different demographics? Too me Callaway seems to be more of a mass market brand who is after market share and competing with Taylormade, Ping, Nike and Cleveland. While Srixon seems to be more focused on the low handicapper with traditional tastes.

Yeah Im sure Callaway and Srixon both can give him the tools he needs. But maybe he just wanted to be the #1 guy for a brand. Phil casts a big shadow.

that's what i'm thinking, i mean, it says a lot when you're the big man on the totem pole.

callaway = phil
nike = tiger
ping = westwood
mizuno = luke donald
taylormade = for a while sergio but now it could be kaymer, DJ, camilo
cobra = IJP
titleist = rory

so i could see where he may just want to be the #1.

Do you think that Callaway and Srixon are going after different demographics? Too me Callaway seems to be more of a mass market brand who is after market share and competing with Taylormade, Ping, Nike and Cleveland. While Srixon seems to be more focused on the low handicapper with traditional tastes.

I think that is a fair look at it. Im also pretty sure they may want that to change. Just my opinion, but I believe Cleveland is their bread and butter over here and Srixon is a little bit off the path. I do think they want that to change a little bit though.

Id say its NOT about money thats for sure. I dont think Srixon, even though they have a deep pocketed owner, can offer more money then Callaway. So maybe FLTC is right, he just wanted to be the man for Srixon. If he doesnt game the tour yellow Z-star hes a wanker.

Id say its NOT about money thats for sure. I dont think Srixon, even though they have a deep pocketed owner, can offer more money then Callaway. So maybe FLTC is right, he just wanted to be the man for Srixon. If he doesnt game the tour yellow Z-star hes a wanker.

yes! love the word wanker. graeme, with a painter's style srixon hat, a cardigan, and a yellow zstar! man, that guy's gonna move the needle.

yes! love the word wanker. graeme, with a painter's style srixon hat, a cardigan, and a yellow zstar! man, that guy's gonna move the needle.

Yes!! I like it already. Srixon should get Dromos to design some killer Gmac Srixon clothes and hats.

Titleist also has stricker, scott, and others that carry a large name too.

Titleist relies on their reputation more than anything else. I have never been that much of a fan of their equipment, but that hasn't stopped me from looking at the 910D because its Titleist so it has to be good.

Back