Fortune Selling Acushnet

So is SC also up for sale with this?

I believe SC is part of Titleist so the brand (Cameron) would be part of any sale of Titleist.

hey, i'm gonna start another thread about fortune selling acushnet so it can be merged, lol

people are looking into this way to much, like it's some sort of negative thing against titleist. it's just a business decision. did you see those numbers? awesome profit margin from the acushnet division, just seems like numbers that aren't big enough for fortune. heck, if i were them, i'd stick to the liquor!

I would like to purchase the Jim Beam brand if that is possible!

hey, i'm gonna start another thread about fortune selling acushnet so it can be merged, lol

people are looking into this way to much, like it's some sort of negative thing against titleist. it's just a business decision. did you see those numbers? awesome profit margin from the acushnet division, just seems like numbers that aren't big enough for fortune. heck, if i were them, i'd stick to the liquor!

Yep I know a few guys from the last WPB outing that would make their stock soar for sure :D

This smacks of a big private equity deal in the making although it will take some time and some M&A lawyers will make a good deal of money in the process.

I don’t see a strategic acquisition here unless it comes from an Asian based corporation or holding company that has money and already owns one of the smaller golf brands that has a decent Asian footprint. I would start looking at the ownership compositions of some of the Asian golf brands to see what sits behind the banner over the door.

I have always thought that whatever deal happens once it happens here will have an effort to grow share in Asia as one of the foundation blocks of the acquirer’s strategy.

Who Will Pick Up Acushnet?

Who Will Pick Up Acushnet?

My vote goes to Nike.

Another one merged with this thread.

i expect it to be kept private for a few years before an ipo

I think we are seeing the calm before the storm. Huge news about the sale and then nothing after. If I was a gambling man, I would bet that it would not be a golf company buying them up. But anything can happen. Their distribution (especially to green grass) makes it very attractive.

I think we are seeing the calm before the storm. Huge news about the sale and then nothing after. If I was a gambling man, I would bet that it would not be a golf company buying them up. But anything can happen. Their distribution (especially to green grass) makes it very attractive.
What do you mean: "...especially to green grass..."?

JB can correct me if I am wrong but it's very similar to when TaylorMade/Adidas (I forget who bought who) purchased Ashworth. They didn't buy it because it was a big money maker or because they loved the brand. They did it because they had a very strong presence in pro shops (green grass accounts) and they wanted their clubs/clothes in those shops. By buying Ashworth part of the deal was that all those shops then had to carry TaylorMade/adidas goods.

What do you mean: "...especially to green grass..."?

JB can correct me if I am wrong but it's very similar to when TaylorMade/Adidas (I forget who bought who) purchased Ashworth. They didn't buy it because it was a big money maker or because they loved the brand. They did it because they had a very strong presence in pro shops (green grass accounts) and they wanted their clubs/clothes in those shops. By buying Ashworth part of the deal was that all those shops then had to carry TaylorMade/adidas goods.

GG is right. Ashworth was a major purchase for the adidas/Taylormade group because of the green grass accounts. Think back a few years and EVERY pro shop carried Ashworth as their brand. adidas wanted to make "ins" with the green grass accounts (you have no idea how big they are across the US), and Ashworth was saved from burial. adidas gets a brand that is known, but kind of dead (relaunching in 2011) and Ashworth gets saved. IN return adidas now has all of those green grass accounts that Ashworh had in the past. Sure some shops leave or walk away, but more and more kept adidas/Taylormade on their "buy" list. Or even better, getting exclusivity. Then they can concentrate on the rest of the goods that are in the adidas/Taylormade lineup.

Titleist/FJ still make up over 50% of the green grass shops in many areas. That is HUGE distribution.

Thanks for the lesson. It makes a lot of sense from a business stand point. Titleist would be a very big. As The Outlaws sang: Green Grass and High Tides Forever. :)

Titleist

Titleist

I know it is common knowledge that Titleist/Foot-Joy is for sale but I heard today that Dick's Sporting Goods wants the club division, Taylor Made is leading in buying the ball division and Callaway is the front runner for Foot-Joy.
That would certainly shake things up.
Anyone else heard this of have any other news?

Merged with the Acushnet for sale thread.

what would become of Titleist if Dicks were to buy it? Would it be like when Macgregor was bought by Golfsmith or would little change and they would still be "Titleist"

The cynic in me can't imagine SC choosing to break off to continue as an independent brand again, instead of continuing to be part of a major. My industry is CE, not sporting goods; but it sure feels like a step backwards.

Acushnet for Sale

Acushnet for Sale

I heard over the weekend that Fortune Brands is selling the Acushnet company. Any truth to this and what will this mean for Scotty Cameron and Bob Vokey. Has anyone heard if they renewed contracts with Titleist?

Merged with another thread.

Back