The Official NFL 2010 Thread [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor Matt Dodge

Poor special teams coach. If I were Coughlin, I'd make all the special teamers run windsprints until they faint and that includes the coaches.

Poor special teams coach. If I were Coughlin, I'd make all the special teamers run windsprints until they faint and that includes the coaches.
You got that right! As I said a few minutes ago...there are ten other guys out there who bear some responsibility as well.

Hopefully Joe Webb doesnt lead a comeback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gonna celebrate tonight a little. Sorry J fot a little defensive of my mancrush.

Night all!

Right now?? Nah man. But I find i funny everytime a qb throws a pick they suck. Yeah bad decision. And he does it throughout the season but so do a lot of qbs. He has all the ability in the world. You see that first td pass? He ripped it. Accurate and flat out ripped it. Hopefully he gets consistant and gets to that upper tier. I think he will. Not doing bad for getting sacked 40+ times and no recievers according to a lot of people.

Im not being a jerk believe me. I hear Cutler sucks all the time. I have my reasons for my views like people have reasons for theirs.

I dont think people hear that very often (every time an IT he sucks). However when a guy repeatedly throws them over and over again week after week, it kind holds true. And its not just throwing picks, its the timing of picks and the wonderful throws that get picked.

I disagree with th quit part. I mean he was dead in the Giants game and kept playing. His line gets him killed and he keeps playin. But I do see your points. Cause he does heave it lol. I mean its frstrating but I guess I look at what he brings. Eye of the beholder haha.

And what is that? He is still young and could become a decent QB, but in my opinion, he is nothing more than a Trent Dilfer right now. Guy with a big arm that made terrible decisions, but made 1-2 good throws a game and because of that fans say "see how good he is".

I don't know if this has ever been said, but Jay Cutler sucks.

Kevin

Now that is funny.

Last edited:
To each their own. This is why I just try and stay out of it usually. He only makes 1-2 good throws a game? He makes more than that to me. He makes alot of plays with his feet too. When you dont like him, you dont like him for whatever reason not much I can say to that. Im happy with his progress and where he is headed.

Polarizing QB thats for sure. I for one am glad Chicago has him. I know how Romo fans feel haha. But a division title when noone expected it, is a pretty sweet feeling.

He doesn't completely suck. He threw some real bullets last night. Once his decision making process is programmed properly he can develop into a fine quarterback. :) And for those of you that think he sucks you go out in sub-zero wind chills and throw a football. IMHO "sucks" is a bit harsh.

To each their own. This is why I just try and stay out of it usually. He only makes 1-2 good throws a game? He makes more than that to me. He makes alot of plays with his feet too. When you dont like him, you dont like him for whatever reason not much I can say to that. Im happy with his progress and where he is headed.

Polarizing QB thats for sure. I for one am glad Chicago has him. I know how Romo fans feel haha. But a division title when noone expected it, is a pretty sweet feeling.

I said Trent Dilfer only made one to two good throws a game. And lets not forget Dilfer won a Super Bowl too.

he sucks with a small 's'

I thought by saying he is young Trent Dilfer that the 1-2 throws applied to him as well as the big arm/terrible decisions.

I dislike Trent Dilfer and Ill say a lot about him. Youve seen my twitter feed. He does have a superbowl ring, ive acknowledged that.

I said Trent Dilfer only made one to two good throws a game. And lets not forget Dilfer won a Super Bowl too.

I thought by saying he is young Trent Dilfer that the 1-2 throws applied to him as well as the big arm/terrible decisions.

I dislike Trent Dilfer and Ill say a lot about him. Youve seen my twitter feed. He does have a superbowl ring, ive acknowledged that.

If the shoe fits. I just dont see how you can label one as "he sucked" and not the other. They seem pretty interchangeable to me so far. Again, Cutler is still young and can do something special down the road. But they have said that about a LOT of young QBs with great arms. In fact they said that about Dilfer.

It's just I don't see him that way. I think he has more than a great arm. It's hard for me to debate without getting defensive when it comes to the Bears I will admit. I'm not going to lie about that. I liked Cutler in Denver. It's not just because he is in Chicago.

I stand by my dislike of Dilfer and that wont change.

If the shoe fits. I just dont see how you can label one as "he sucked" and not the other. They seem pretty interchangeable to me so far. Again, Cutler is still young and can do something special down the road. But they have said that about a LOT of young QBs with great arms. In fact they said that about Dilfer.

I think he will take away a lot from Mike Martz in the decision arena. He is going to take shots and he is going to miss. Hopefully he starts missing at better times than he does haha.
He doesn't completely suck. He threw some real bullets last night. Once his decision making process is programmed properly he can develop into a fine quarterback. :) And for those of you that think he sucks you go out in sub-zero wind chills and throw a football. IMHO "sucks" is a bit harsh.

I think he will take away a lot from Mike Martz in the decision arena. He is going to take shots and he is going to miss. Hopefully he starts missing at better times than he does haha.
And he will. Does he make some bad decisions? Yes. Does he have a good arm? Absolutely.

Go Eagles!!!!!

It's just I don't see him that way. I think he has more than a great arm. It's hard for me to debate without getting defensive when it comes to the Bears I will admit. I'm not going to lie about that. I liked Cutler in Denver. It's not just because he is in Chicago.

I stand by my dislike of Dilfer and that wont change.

I think the fanatic side is great for many people and it adds a lot of fun to debates. It truly does. Cutler is young and CAN still be a great QB. After watching Dilfer for years down here, I can say that he was a very similar QB. I think a lot of people forget that he was highly drafted and made great throws in each game. He was immature in his time in Tampa and they had the worst O-Line in football during his tenure. He was destined for failure from the very beginning. I mean Shaun King replaced him, so that says a lot. He was a guy with a cannon of an arm, he was extremely intelligent, but made bad throws at bad times and because of that was chased out of town. I dont like the guy all that much, but that was his knock. But he was given nothing and produced nothing in the end. Then Gruden came in, got rid of King, went with Brad Johnson and the rest is history.

Cutler will most likely end up as a far better QB as time goes on. But improvements need to be made and some of those improvements are not easy. Bad throws at bad times and making bad reads over and over again is something that really good QBs dont do. Can he improve that? Of course. But as a realist and a NFL observer, he has not yet. In my opinion there has only been one really great QB that has gotten away with that "syndrome" and that is Brett Favre. And one could make the case for a lot of similarities between the two. And if that is how it turns out, then he will obviously be quite good (great).

But having the tools just does not get it done in this league anymore. Again, I am not saying he will not be great. But that he is not great now and while flashes of brilliance can bring in the next wave of predictions, it can also bring in the next wave of disappointments. Just like their last SB appearance, if they go again, it wont be because of the QB play (generalizing), but because of the defense, which is freaking fantastic right now.

And he will. Does he make some bad decisions? Yes. Does he have a good arm? Absolutely.

A good arm and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee in the NFL. JaMarcus Russell, Heath Shuler, David Klingler, Andre Ware, Ryan Leaf, the list is endless of guys in the NFL that came in with a great arm. Now I am not comparing Cutler to any of those guys, but they were all top QBs coming in with huge arms that never got it in the NFL. Clearly Cutler is better than them and will be better than them, but if one thinks the big arm is what it takes, take a look at Tom Brady.

It's a much faster game today and QB's have to not only be quick on their feet, but quick in their minds. One the things that makes Brady such a great QB is that he has the ability to see the entire field and react almost instantly, much the same way Larry Byrd could see the entire basketball court. Only time will tell if Cutler can develop that kind of skill. He has the arm, but will he develop the mind?

It's a much faster game today and QB's have to not only be quick on their feet, but quick in their minds. One the things that makes Brady such a great QB is that he has the ability to see the entire field and react almost instantly, much the same way Larry Byrd could see the entire basketball court. Only time will tell if Cutler can develop that kind of skill. He has the arm, but will he develop the mind?

You are missing my point. A good arm does not equal a good QB. It can help a good QB already, but a good QB comes from reading defenses and then being able to deliver that throw. Brady does that without having a canon of an arm.

and the yin to that yang is Jeff George. One of the strongest arms ever but no guts or head sense to be totally successful
You are missing my point. A good arm does not equal a good QB. It can help a good QB already, but a good QB comes from reading defenses and then being able to deliver that throw. Brady does that without having a canon of an arm.

and the yin to that yang is Jeff George. One of the strongest arms ever but no guts or head sense to be totally successful

Yeah, I completely forgot him off the list. The other side would be arguably the two best ever were Montana and Brady (obviously I said arguably). Neither had a big arm, but were smart and could read a defense. The arguers say that makes them "system QBs". But isn't everybody a system QB?

It does make for good debates but sometimes man its just so tough to keep a level head. It's why I rarely engage in any banter with Esox in this thread lol. I know a lot of it is bait haha. You're right about Dilfer and I completely forgot he was even considered a talent. It's funny you say he is in the same spot because he seems to have a real contempt for Cutler, which is odd given his own career.

Agree with you on the timing of his bad decisions and the bad spots it puts the team in. From last year, to this year.. an improvement in my eyes. All behind the worst oline in football.

Another great point you bring up is the big arm. He counts on it a lot. And it gets him in trouble but sometimes makes for some throws you just watch over and over. Which like you said, can bring the expectations and disappointments. That defense is just awesome. They allow yards but make big plays and we have some nice hitters. Major Wright is making good use of his time for the most part and delivered some shots. Beside our D line and my other man crush Peppers, our safeties have really come up big. Chris Harris may not be the best at SS but he is one of my favs.

I think the fanatic side is great for many people and it adds a lot of fun to debates. It truly does. Cutler is young and CAN still be a great QB. After watching Dilfer for years down here, I can say that he was a very similar QB. I think a lot of people forget that he was highly drafted and made great throws in each game. He was immature in his time in Tampa and they had the worst O-Line in football during his tenure. He was destined for failure from the very beginning. I mean Shaun King replaced him, so that says a lot. He was a guy with a cannon of an arm, he was extremely intelligent, but made bad throws at bad times and because of that was chased out of town. I dont like the guy all that much, but that was his knock. But he was given nothing and produced nothing in the end. Then Gruden came in, got rid of King, went with Brad Johnson and the rest is history.

Cutler will most likely end up as a far better QB as time goes on. But improvements need to be made and some of those improvements are not easy. Bad throws at bad times and making bad reads over and over again is something that really good QBs dont do. Can he improve that? Of course. But as a realist and a NFL observer, he has not yet. In my opinion there has only been one really great QB that has gotten away with that "syndrome" and that is Brett Favre. And one could make the case for a lot of similarities between the two. And if that is how it turns out, then he will obviously be quite good (great).

But having the tools just does not get it done in this league anymore. Again, I am not saying he will not be great. But that he is not great now and while flashes of brilliance can bring in the next wave of predictions, it can also bring in the next wave of disappointments. Just like their last SB appearance, if they go again, it wont be because of the QB play (generalizing), but because of the defense, which is freaking fantastic right now.

exactly right. yet somehow 'system QB' is a derrogatory term used for Qb's coming out of the WAC or for QB's who don't have the ptototypical size scouts and GM's crave.
Yeah, I completely forgot him off the list. The other side would be arguably the two best ever were Montana and Brady (obviously I said arguably). Neither had a big arm, but were smart and could read a defense. The arguers say that makes them "system QBs". But isn't everybody a system QB?

Oh I understand your point. I think you missed mine. I just said what makes Brady a great QB is his ability to see the entire field, i.e., read the defense. There are probably plenty of guys out there who can throw a football 80 yards, but that doesn't mean they can play in the NFL, just like there are a boatload of golfers who can bomb it 350 yards off the tee but will never play professional golf.

I felt the analysis of those that said Cutler "sucked" was a bit premature. As I said, he has the arm, BUT I also said only time will tell if he has the mind, i.e., the ability to read the defenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back