h2ojon

Reaction score
Handicap
For those of you out there that re-grip your own clubs I just wanted to put out a note and say that if you are getting grip tape try to stay away from the Golfsmith brand tape. I got a pack of 13 to re-grip all of my clubs and when you put the grip solvent on the tape doesn't get slippery enough to get the grip on the club. I switched back to some of the Golf Works tape that I had left and the grip went on quick and easy. So I will be headed out to Dicks to get a pack of the Golf Works tape.

was it the roll of tape or pre cut stuff? I've had my new for grips a for a little bit with that tape and haven't had any issues (roll of tape).

I agree with Yoccos1981, I use the roll type from Golfsmith, and have never had trouble with the tape not being slick enough to get the new grip on. I wonder why the precut would be any different.

I used the Golfsmith stuff for a long time and never had any issues with it.

Of course I have since switched to tapeless, but that is merely a preference.

I used the Golfsmith stuff for a long time and never had any issues with it.

Of course I have since switched to tapeless, but that is merely a preference.

JB -- No tape under the grip? Is this a special kind of grip you are using? Sounds like the way to go.

I used the pre cut. I dont know if it was a bad batch or what but I just could not get the grip on to save my life. But it went on perfectly with the Golf Works tape.

JB what did you do to go tapeless? Do you just slide the grip on with air pressure?

Anyone here try lighter fluid like Arnold showed in his TGC interview? Or is that just for the hand stretched leather wraps?

I used the pre cut. I dont know if it was a bad batch or what but I just could not get the grip on to save my life. But it went on perfectly with the Golf Works tape.

JB what did you do to go tapeless? Do you just slide the grip on with air pressure?

Not sure how JB does it, but an air compressor is what I use. You can still build up with masking tape if you want, but I don't use any sort of adhesive tape. It's a waste of time and money. I've only ever had 1 grip move on me.

Thanks for the great info guys!! I have an air gun that has a small tapered tip so I might try to use that to get the grips on without tape. This is why I love this place just a ton of knowledge!!

I agree with Yoccos1981, I use the roll type from Golfsmith, and have never had trouble with the tape not being slick enough to get the new grip on. I wonder why the precut would be any different.

I also use roll tape from Golfsmith and never had any issues. I've never used the pre-cut type. I'm pretty old school and still use the 3/4 inch in a spiral pattern on everything. My preference is also Brampton over regular solvent.

I am thinking an air compressor is on my way for xmas, I am going with the pure grip system.

Back