Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototype Irons

Great pick up Sean and excellent picture quality!

I think there was mention in here somewhere of the x-protos being hard to find but I think here are some rumors floating around of hem making a comeback with new razr graphics.

edit:
I just looked at the pictures again and boy do those irons scare me! I feel like any significant time away from my own irons will not help my ball striking and I cannot imagine playing something even less forgiving (in appearance.)

that's what i would do. sometimes there just aren't explanations for things, they just happen. if i were you, i'd enjoy it, i wish i had the confidence to play those beauties.
Thanks TC. I think that's what I'll do. :)

I like this thread. You ogled a beautiful set of irons, and it turns out they work for you! I'd say a big part of what's going on here is confidence. When you start doubting (equipment, grip, swing, etc.) over the ball, you're thinking about everything except what you're supposed to be thinking about - The Swing. I picked up a Callaway 2007 X-Forged 6-iron when the pre-owned site was having their $10 sale. I did it mostly to see how different it was from my Dunlop starter set. After a couple sessions at the practice range, I was in love. Sweetspot hits felt so great, and mis-hits gave me all sorts of feedback which has helped improve my ball-striking. About a month or two later, I scored a good-condition used set off of Ebay and I couldn't be happier. I haven't hit the x-prototypes yet, but I fear that if I do, the same story might unfold and put a huge dent on my credit card!
You're right about the sweet spot. These irons feel terrific. I hit the X-Forged as well...I probably shouldn't tell you this but I found the X-Proto's a might easier to hit. :)

Great pick up Sean and excellent picture quality!

I think there was mention in here somewhere of the x-protos being hard to find but I think here are some rumors floating around of hem making a comeback with new razr graphics.

edit:
I just looked at the pictures again and boy do those irons scare me! I feel like any significant time away from my own irons will not help my ball striking and I cannot imagine playing something even less forgiving (in appearance.)
Thanks Johnny! I thought the RAZR's were replacing the X-Forged? You can occasionally find the X-Proto's at Callaway Preowned or on eBay. I found the set I got on eBay, but they were being sold by a bricks and mortar store. So I called the guy and we had a nice discussion and I went ahead and purchased the irons. I thought it was serendipity since they were my specs, had never been hit...heck the box had never been opened until I opened it.

With me it's just the opposite. These irons inspire a lot of confidence in me. It's just they way they look and setup when I'm standing over the ball.

sean, fantastic looking clubs and im glad they are treating you well.

i think what you are saying and the results you are seeing makes sense to me. my thoughts being that as this game is a lot between the ears, you are playing a club that you know will take all of your skill to hit well so you focus more. when you have all this forgiveness at your fingertips (burners) you almost become lax when you swing.

was it in "not a game of perfect" where he says "you get in your own way" maybe its the same with equipment, you get in theh way of trying a club because common sense says it wont work.

Just on a side note, i had a J33 airmuscle and it was a great club when i hit it..not so good when i didnt..:D

These are my favorite looking set of irons ever. Got to hit them once and they are as nice feeling as they are nice looking. Congrats on these Sean.

Thanks Johnny! I thought the RAZR's were replacing the X-Forged? You can occasionally find the X-Proto's at Callaway Preowned or on eBay. I found the set I got on eBay, but they were being sold by a bricks and mortar store. So I called the guy and we had a nice discussion and I went ahead and purchased the irons. I thought it was serendipity since they were my specs, had never been hit...heck the box had never been opened until I opened it.

With me it's just the opposite. These irons inspire a lot of confidence in me. It's just they way they look and setup when I'm standing over the ball.

I think JB posted some pictures of the Razr line and you are right they are making an x-forged razr. I am not all that familiar with the Callaway line and the names of the clubs but I did see some clubs that look exactly like yours with a little bit different badging. I really doubt that there is anything different about them and quite frankly I prefer the version that you have. In my opinion hose clubs look even better than a set of MP-68s...... I may get some hate mail pm'd over that one :angry: The only ones I have seen lately that up the ante are a custom set of protos in black oxide with a little skull and crossbones out towards the toe on the backside. I will have to try and scrounge up the pics. Have a blast with them!

Just on a side note, i had a J33 airmuscle and it was a great club when i hit it..not so good when i didnt..:D

Very cool "hybrid" and you can find them extremely cheap now. I got mine for $30 and it was brand new.

sean, fantastic looking clubs and im glad they are treating you well.

i think what you are saying and the results you are seeing makes sense to me. my thoughts being that as this game is a lot between the ears, you are playing a club that you know will take all of your skill to hit well so you focus more. when you have all this forgiveness at your fingertips (burners) you almost become lax when you swing.

was it in "not a game of perfect" where he says "you get in your own way" maybe its the same with equipment, you get in theh way of trying a club because common sense says it wont work.

Thanks Brian. Maybe Rotella is correct, but when hitting both I really tried to focus equally on both to give them both a fair shake. I like the J33. I spent $39.95 for it and it was in mint condition.

These are my favorite looking set of irons ever. Got to hit them once and they are as nice feeling as they are nice looking. Congrats on these Sean.
Thanks CL! I felt the same way and that's why I finally decided to buy them. :)

I think JB posted some pictures of the Razr line and you are right they are making an x-forged razr. I am not all that familiar with the Callaway line and the names of the clubs but I did see some clubs that look exactly like yours with a little bit different badging. I really doubt that there is anything different about them and quite frankly I prefer the version that you have. In my opinion hose clubs look even better than a set of MP-68s...... I may get some hate mail pm'd over that one :angry: The only ones I have seen lately that up the ante are a custom set of protos in black oxide with a little skull and crossbones out towards the toe on the backside. I will have to try and scrounge up the pics. Have a blast with them!
You're right Johnny. The one you referred to is just like the X-Proto. I read that it's just a re-badged X-Proto so it's in keeping with the name of the new line. I don't know if it will be available for retail. BTW I saw those X-Proto's you're referring to. I think a company named Black Oxide Services did the work. Very pricey.

Quick test for you Sean.

Take a thin piece of metal such as a knife and a thick piece of metal such as a hammer or other tool and hit something with both. Take the same level of energy with both items and see which one goes further.

I think its great that these work better for you. Its awesome to find a set that works perfectly, but it is almost physically impossible to have the same miss on the toe with both of these sets you are talking about and have the one with less mass go further and straighter.

That would be the same as saying that hitting something off the toe would give better results than hitting it in the center.

+1. Just doesnt make sense to me.
Quick test for you Sean.

Take a thin piece of metal such as a knife and a thick piece of metal such as a hammer or other tool and hit something with both. Take the same level of energy with both items and see which one goes further.

I think its great that these work better for you. Its awesome to find a set that works perfectly, but it is almost physically impossible to have the same miss on the toe with both of these sets you are talking about and have the one with less mass go further and straighter.

That would be the same as saying that hitting something off the toe would give better results than hitting it in the center.

WOW....... those are a very nice looking set of irons !

Quick test for you Sean.

+1. Just doesnt make sense to me.
JB I don't think I said today that the ball went further on mishits. I couldn't get an absolute determination on distance today because the range is snow covered. On the course I can walk off distances but I can't do that on the range so I'm not going to speculate (and with the ground snow covered I don't now when I'll be able to get on a course again). In my experience the X-Proto's go straighter on toe hits than the 2.0's. On thin hits they both go straight. If I keep my weight back through the swing the 2.0's hook more than the X-Proto's. I hit three shots to the right...pushes...but only with the 2.0's. I hit solid shots with both sets, but more solid shots with the X-Proto's. Overall the 2.0's are longer, i.e., a 2.0 7-iron is longer than an X-Proto 7-iron, but a 2.0 7-iron is not longer than an X-Proto 6-iron (which is the same loft as the 2.0 7-iron).

As to feel, the X-Proto's feel better, even on mishits. On solid hits the X-Proto's feel fantastic.

I hope this clears things up a bit. By the way, all this still makes me feel uneasy because it's not supposed to be.

I'm not sure that Sean can't be both right and wrong. And not to waffle, but depending on the skill of the person swinging the clubs, and what aspects of forgiveness (of which there are many) are involved, he may be justified in his opinion. Although at first blush, the immediate response based on common sense seems to suggest he might just be a bit excited about his new clubs (and nothing wrong with that; who among us isn't when we get new irons).

And not to take any sides, but if Sean has trouble hitting larger heads, and this leads to problems such as variable release points, changes in plane, and the biggest problem, inconsistency at impact, while these problems don't exist for him with smaller thinner headed irons, then the protos would indeed be more forgiving for him.

They wouldn't be more forgiving in the sense that mishits on the toe, or low, or even high, produce less sporatic dispersion and fewer inconsistent distances. But they would be more forgiving in the sense that hitting them better, might for him mean fewer mishits, and less penalized mishits, at least as compared to larger head irons.

Again though, I don't know anything about Sean, or his game. I do enjoy the back and forth of threads like this however, especially when it remains civil and mutually respect is shown as it has been here.

Though I think even Sean will readily concede that the most agreed upon definitions of forgiveness usually refer to toe, fat, and thin mishits, and game improvement irons are specifically designed to not penalize these types of shots, compared to players irons/blades/muscle backs.

Interesting conversation/debate, but before it becomes confrontational, may I suggest we all just enjoy what we have during this holiday season, and respect each other's opinions, even while disagreeing with them.

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles Dickens

JB I don't think I said today that the ball went further on mishits. I couldn't get an absolute determination on distance today because the range is snow covered. On the course I can walk off distances but I can't do that on the range so I'm not going to speculate (and with the ground snow covered I don't now when I'll be able to get on a course again). In my experience the X-Proto's go straighter on toe hits than the 2.0's. On thin hits they both go straight. If I keep my weight back through the swing the 2.0's hook more than the X-Proto's. I hit three shots to the right...pushes...but only with the 2.0's. I hit solid shots with both sets, but more solid shots with the X-Proto's. Overall the 2.0's are longer, i.e., a 2.0 7-iron is longer than an X-Proto 7-iron, but a 2.0 7-iron is not longer than an X-Proto 6-iron (which is the same loft as the 2.0 7-iron).

As to feel, the X-Proto's feel better, even on mishits. On solid hits the X-Proto's feel fantastic.

I hope this clears things up a bit. By the way, all this still makes me feel uneasy because it's not supposed to be.

Sean,
Like I said, I am so glad you found a set that works for you. With that being said, while you did not say it this time, I must have read something wrong, because I could have sworn you said earlier that on mishits on the toe, the Callaways went further and straighter the other day. I have done this test with over 20 golfers, and witnessed it on golf robots over a dozen times and it just does not work that way. Im glad you are enjoying your irons, but a thin piece of metal and a thick piece of metal offer different impact at the ball and there is a direct reason why perimeter weighting came into existence.

I remember months ago when you switched to the Adams players irons you said (I will find the quote if that helps) that players irons were longer and more forgiving for you. Then you switched to the 2.0s and loved them and even went on to get the wedges and said how perfect the cavity back wedges were for you. Now you have these and I think its great that you finally found your set, a journey that so many never complete, but I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that if you come to a THP outing and we put you on a monitor and have you hit shots on the toe, that the numbers are different than you think you are seeing in both dispersion and distance.

The goal is clearly not to hit the ball out on the toe, but the reason I brought this up is because I remember a few questions on it earlier in the thread.

Again though, I don't know anything about Sean, or his game. I do enjoy the back and forth of threads like this however, especially when it remains civil and mutually respect is shown as it has been here.

[/I]

This is THP, everything always remains civil here or a person is asked to take a step back. While other forums may struggle with that, it is simply not the case here. We are all friends in teh grand scheme of things.

EDIT: And we both know, that you know this already, as one of the few that has been sent away right?

This is THP, everything always remains civil here or a person is asked to take a step back. While other forums may struggle with that, it is simply not the case here. We are all friends in teh grand scheme of things.

EDIT: And we both know, that you know this already, as one of the few that has been sent away right?
ZIIINNNNNGERR ---- I find it hard to believe someone could get kicked of this website..

ZIIINNNNNGERR ---- I find it hard to believe someone could get kicked of this website..

Its a rarity, but personal attacks are a great way to have that happen. And this gentleman decided to make far too many of them.

Sean has been here long enough to know that we can have a great debate with no issues or feelings getting hurt. He is a valuable member of the THP community and one I love chatting with.

But ya sean it's pretty cool that you love your irons. I wonder if it's a placebo affect kind of deal where your mind has got you doing this. Maybe you subconsiously swing better when you hit your Callaways. Haha that was random and unlikely, but either way keep enjoying the irons.

I'm not sure that Sean can't be both right and wrong. And not to waffle, but depending on the skill of the person swinging the clubs, and what aspects of forgiveness (of which there are many) are involved, he may be justified in his opinion. Although at first blush, the immediate response based on common sense seems to suggest he might just be a bit excited about his new clubs (and nothing wrong with that; who among us isn't when we get new irons).

And not to take any sides, but if Sean has trouble hitting larger heads, and this leads to problems such as variable release points, changes in plane, and the biggest problem, inconsistency at impact, while these problems don't exist for him with smaller thinner headed irons, then the protos would indeed be more forgiving for him.

They wouldn't be more forgiving in the sense that mishits on the toe, or low, or even high, produce less sporatic dispersion and fewer inconsistent distances. But they would be more forgiving in the sense that hitting them better, might for him mean fewer mishits, and less penalized mishits, at least as compared to larger head irons.

Though I think even Sean will readily concede that the most agreed upon definitions of forgiveness usually refer to toe, fat, and thin mishits, and game improvement irons are specifically designed to not penalize these types of shots, compared to players irons/blades/muscle backs.

Interesting conversation/debate, but before it becomes confrontational, may I suggest we all just enjoy what we have during this holiday season, and respect each other's opinions, even while disagreeing with them.

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles Dickens
Thanks for your post G2 and your kind comments regarding civil discourse on this forum. :)

Maybe you have a point vis-a-vis what I highlighted. And yes, I do concede the "agreed upon definition of forgiveness". That's why I'm having trouble accepting the results I have been seeing. Sure I may be excited about the new irons, but I've messed around with enough clubs to be objective about the results I've been seeing.

Sean,
Like I said, I am so glad you found a set that works for you. With that being said, while you did not say it this time, I must have read something wrong, because I could have sworn you said earlier that on mishits on the toe, the Callaways went further and straighter the other day. I have done this test with over 20 golfers, and witnessed it on golf robots over a dozen times and it just does not work that way. Im glad you are enjoying your irons, but a thin piece of metal and a thick piece of metal offer different impact at the ball and there is a direct reason why perimeter weighting came into existence.

I remember months ago when you switched to the Adams players irons you said (I will find the quote if that helps) that players irons were longer and more forgiving for you. Then you switched to the 2.0s and loved them and even went on to get the wedges and said how perfect the cavity back wedges were for you. Now you have these and I think its great that you finally found your set, a journey that so many never complete, but I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that if you come to a THP outing and we put you on a monitor and have you hit shots on the toe, that the numbers are different than you think you are seeing in both dispersion and distance.

The goal is clearly not to hit the ball out on the toe, but the reason I brought this up is because I remember a few questions on it earlier in the thread.
JB, the jury is still out. I've only had one round and a few range sessions. I readily admit that the mishits go straighter with the X-Proto's. As to mishits going farther I'd have to do more testing to make a conclusive determination. But I'll be happy to take your word for it. But, the dispersion on my mishits, so far, have been tighter with the X-Proto's. I'll hit four shots with one iron, determine where the balls go, and then hit four shots with the other iron. I know, it's not very scientific but it's all I have. I went to the range today fully expecting to hit the 2.0's better...I keep thinking that what's happening with the X-Proto's is a fluke, or I got lucky that day and I can't do it again...but, that wasn't the case.

The only problem with the Adam's irons was how harsh they felt. I was very disappointed. Even when I hit the ball well they felt harsh. I still like the 2.0's, which is why I haven't put them up for sale. Not to mention that I haven't had enough time with with the X-Proto's to make a final determination. And I still say the 2.0 wedges are great and would urge anyone contemplating getting the 2.0's to give the wedges a try. They won't be disappointed.

Its a rarity, but personal attacks are a great way to have that happen. And this gentleman decided to make far too many of them.

Sean has been here long enough to know that we can have a great debate with no issues or feelings getting hurt. He is a valuable member of the THP community and one I love chatting with.
Thanks JB, that was mighty nice of you.

Back