Started playing about a year ago after my father in law took me out to play one day. I had just finished playing college basketball and was looking for something competitive. Now I am a full blown golf junkie and can't believe I didn't start playing earlier in life (28 when I started).

how did you get in to golf?

how did you get in to golf?

come on peeps what made you try and play golf?

Friends for fun, and as a networking tool in the business world.

When I was little (6-7 yrs. old) my grandparents started taking me with them. They were members at the local muni. and played 9 holes in the morning after the early crowd, went home for lunch (only about 4 miles) and then went back for 9 in the afternoon before the after work crowd. Whenever I stayed with them I went along. They taught me the rules and etiquette of the game as I grew up and my grandfather showed me what he knew (self-taught). When I was a teenager they offered to get me lessons, but I was too busy playing basketball, football and baseball and didn't see the point :dohanim:

I still think of them when I play (although not when I'm losing my cool about a bad shot/round as they would not approve of that). Oh well, I learned almost everything they tried to teach me...

didn't get into it until mid 30's, when i began working with a different group that all played, started looking at clubs and really fell in love with the clubs before the game if that makes sense...

My uncles and cousin got me into it, my cousin and I would smack balls around the backyard and actually one time he hit me in the eye on his back swing, I had to be rushed to the ER got a few stitches and a big old black eye, I'm lucky not to have lost my eye that day. Anyway I quickly learned to stay the hell away from the person when they're hitting and a couple of summers later they took me to the little par 3 course and that was that. I didn't play real seriously until my sophomore year of high school when I tried out for the golf team. Amazingly enough I made the team and the rest is history, I've been hooked since.

My uncles and cousin got me into it, my cousin and I would smack balls around the backyard and actually one time he hit me in the eye on his back swing, I had to be rushed to the ER got a few stitches and a big old black eye, I'm lucky not to have lost my eye that day. Anyway I quickly learned to stay the hell away from the person when they're hitting and a couple of summers later they took me to the little par 3 course and that was that. I didn't play real seriously until my sophomore year of high school when I tried out for the golf team. Amazingly enough I made the team and the rest is history, I've been hooked since.

And here I thought it was the Red Raider Bee Bee Gun that would cause someone to lose an eye :D

tt0085334

My dad plays, and when I was about 5 I wanted to play. Maybe before that. He got me a sawwed off 5 iron and I would hit it on a local muni. In first grade I got my first set of clubs and I've been playing ever since. Although, I only played once a month until 6th grade and I started playing a couple times a week. Sometimes 5 times a week!

Work thing. Initially for charity and corporate events but a number of my friends play as well. It's quickly gone from one of those "if I have to" things to it feels weird when I don't swing a club every couple of days

Friends at work were taking it up and salesmen were always asking me to go play. I was 50 and thought it would be an easy sport to play for the rest of my life. I was right about being able to play for the rest of my life and very, very wrong about it being an easy sport. It is my primary form of relaxation as a retiree.

I started playing this summer heavily even though I played maybe once a month since 5th grade. The reason was because I live really far away from my friends, so when my mom went into town for work, I would have her drop me off at the course. This way, when I was done I could hang out with friends because I was in town. (also because I wanted to try to get good)

MY dad got me into golf, and then the desire to beat my older brothers took over:D

I come from a golfing family so I was exposed to the game very young. I played as kid some but not alot. My grandparents lived on a lake so I spent my summers there growing up. My grandfather played with a group my grandmother reffered to as his "cronies". On the weekends, everyone would go golfing and I would normally stay and go fishing.
As a teenager I lost interest I think and played very little for a few years. After college and school was over and I got my first job, I began playing again full time. That was in 1984/85 I think and I have played 200/250 rounds a year ever since. Some of the best days of my life have been spent playing golf and hanging out at my home course. My home course is like a close friend.

Got a job as a kid picking the rangeballs every night, by hand. 3 guys 6 shagbags. Had some shoulders that summer.

My sophomore year in college some of the other baseball players played so I picked it up. Have not stopped yet. Hell today my wife just told me I have a problem... I am addicted to golf!

My dad would always take me out when I was little. He cut a few irons down for me. After he passed away in '99 I kind of got out of it unitl about two years ago, I started playing again with my brother in law and stepdad. Now I'm hooked.

My mom and step father were into it and wanted us to learn the game.

For years I use to think golf was a waste of time. I thought I could do a lot of more exciting things in the 4-5 hours it takes to play a round and never chose to pursue the game. And for some reason in June of this year, my father in law asked me if I wanted to go to the driving range and hit some balls. At first I said no, then changed my mind and I decided to go with him. At the range I did my usual thing of trying to kill the ball and see how far I could hit it, which typically resulted in a slice or hitting it fat. So my FIL asked if he could show me a few things that might make me hit the ball better. He showed me a few tips and they seemed to work and I continued to enjoy the range session and probably like many others here, things just clicked and now I am completely loving the game and addicted to it.

The sad part is that I grew up in Las Vegas, lived in Greenville, SC and Jacksonville, FL and never had the desire to play golf seriously. Pennsylvania has a lot of great courses but obviously weather is the deterent to year round play.

When I was sixteen my older brother got into golf with his friends, and i had to be the tag-along little kid brother. I wanted to be better than them, so I just kept playing.
:golf3:

lived on or near golf courses all my life and as a kid if we couldnt get a ride to the beach we'd just go to the course

I watched it on tv a lot as a kid.
Then when I was in high school I worked at a gas station.
One of the old mechanics there played a lot of golf.
He was terrible at it, but he had fun and talked about it all the time.
He offered to take me to a local 9 hole course to try it out.
Boom...Done....hooked for life. I bought a set of Spalding Championships with my next paycheck.

Thanks again Herm....I miss you buddy.

My cousin brought me to the range. Then after hitting the ball solidly on the 1st swing, I fell in love with it already. It's a good networking tool for business too!

Was fortunate enough as a kid to belong to a very nice CC , my dad played with friends and started bringing me along. Once I started I never stopped.

First job I ever had the guys had a company league. I used my Uncle's clubs and went out and played. No practicing just went out and played. Shot somewhere in the low 50's for nine holes if I remember correctly (it was almost 50 years ago)

Back