Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

You don't still have that XLS Hybird do you Rhino? It would be interesting to see how the Mashie compared to that, or even to the DST for that matter. Anyone of the testers have a DST Hybrid to test it against?

I do have the XLS hybrid Soli, how are you curious how they compare?

Went out early this morning (6:30 tee time) with all kinds of Mashie thoughts in my head. The only problem was I left my game somewhere else and did not bring it to the course, at least for the first nine holes. I apologize to those desiring info but today was pretty much a wash as far as getting good info about the club. I hit a few nice punch outs with it and a decent shot from a fairway bunker but when I left the driver in the bag and tried to tee off with the Mashie, I did not have it today. I actually think I needed this kind of day because up to this point the Mashie has been nothing but excellent in my eyes. I picked it up at the outing and immediately starting launching bombs, then at the range similar results. I was beginning to think this clubs could do no wrong. It was a nice "bring back to earth" experience. I was so juiced up to finally hit the club on a course I over swng each shot and paid for it. I will say even with the mishits the ball did travel good distances, just not optimal and not close to what I was seeing before. I will be back out there very soon and ill have a better Mashie report to file then I am sure.

Last edited:
You don't still have that XLS Hybird do you Rhino? It would be interesting to see how the Mashie compared to that, or even to the DST for that matter. Anyone of the testers have a DST Hybrid to test it against?

If you read through the original Mashie thread, you will see my report comparing the two.

Went out early this morning (6:30 tee time) with all kinds of Mashie thoughts in my head. The only problem was I left my game somewhere else and did not bring it to the course, at least for the first nine holes. I apologize to those desiring info but today was pretty much a wash as far as getting good info about the club. I hit a few nice punch outs with it and a decent shot from a fairway bunker but when I left the driver in the bag and tried to tee off with the Mashie, I did not have it today. I actually think I needed this kind of day because up to this point the Mashie has been nothing but excellent in my eyes. I picked it up at the outing and immediately starting launching bombs, then at the range similar results. I was beginning to think this clubs could do no wrong. It was a nice "bring back to earth" experience. I was so juiced up to finally hit the club on a course I over swng each shot and paid for it. I will say even with the mishits the ball did travel good distances, just not optimal and not close to what I was seeing before. I will be back out there very soon and ill have a better Mashie report to file then I am sure.

It just goes to show you are human and no matter how good the equipment is, operator error will kick in. Good honest review today and hopefully the next time out, your swing and the mashie will gel :golf2:......

If I was teeing off at 6:30 am, I wouldn't be able to hit the ball either! You just put way too much pressure on yourself today. You are so pumped about having this opportunity and I don't blame you one bit! It's all relevant, good and bad. At least we now know it's not the magic club that does all the work regardless of user error....darn it!

Curious if you all see the 23 mashie as more of a replacement of a 5 iron than a 4 iron. Am playing the burner 2.0s and I think that 5 iron is a 24 degree.

Curious if you all see the 23 mashie as more of a replacement of a 5 iron than a 4 iron. Am playing the burner 2.0s and I think that 5 iron is a 24 degree.

I would say 5 iron seth, I look at the 20.5 replacing a 4i, the 18.5 replacing the 3i or 5W and the 15 replacing the 3W. Others might see it different.

I would say 5 iron seth, I look at the 20.5 replacing a 4i, the 18.5 replacing the 3i or 5W and the 15 replacing the 3W. Others might see it different.

See I look at the 23 replacing the 4i, the 20.5 replacing 3, 18* 5w/4w and 15.5 replacing 3w. Most should be able to hit say the 23* hybrid farther than a 5i so goes down into the 4i iron range. The 20.5 replacing the 3i possibly even 2i distance(I know TC is seeing if it will replace his 3i) and the 18* replacing a 5w or even 4w, then the 15.5 should be close to replacing the 3w, and I know a lot of people would want a hybrid the could be a 3w to.

The 23 would be a 4i replacement.

I tapped, I talked.

The 20.5* is a 3i replacement for me.

TC, I hate to tell you this but you are last. Christmas came early to DMB's house this year. The Mashie came in today! What a nice looking and beautiful club. The look of it is so simple and reminds me of an old driver from the 1920s. The name of it really does exemplify what you feel like you are going to be able to do with the club. You are going to be able to Mash-it out of any lie a long way! I really can't wait to hit this club this week. I hope to make it out on Sunday to the range for my first dance with this awesome club.

First impressions-
It seems to have a lightness feel to the shaft and you can feel the weight of the head. This is a bit different compare the the hybrid I had before (TM Burner). I think this is going to be helpful getting through the trash areas I tend to leave my first shots. It is almost as if I have a sledge hammer I am going at the ball with. It really seems to boost my confidence with the club. I really do love the old school look with the simple head and to fuzzy ball head cover. It just takes me back to my first set of woods and the crazy head covers that came along with them.

Here are some picks, enjoy.

IMG_3961.jpg

IMG_3963.jpg

IMG_3964.jpg

IMG_3969.jpg

IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3971.jpg

IMG_3972.jpg

IMG_3974.jpg

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY IN THP LAND!!!

Great pics DMB

I do have the XLS hybrid Soli, how are you curious how they compare?

Well if I remember correctly, you really liked the XLS while I struggled with it. So between those two, how do you find the ball flight and the ease of the shot?

Excellent pics DMB! Looking forward to your on course or range thoughts with this new weapon.

One thing I keep forgetting to mention, I really like the shield logo for the Mashie that appears on the head cover.

Im probably a little different when it comes to hyrbid and iron replacement. Ill buy a hybrid based on what I think it will replace (ie 20.5 for a 3i) but what I find is the hybrid is usually longer than the iron of the same loft for me. Imo the graphite shaft along with the ease of use helps me get more distance. Not the case for all but something to think.

Happy Holidays everyone!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's one sweet looking golf club. :)

Does anyone have the club's specs, i.e., lengths, lofts, lie angles?

We don't know all the details of that since it's pre release, but I measured my 18* and it's about 42.5" give or take half a cm. Lofts have been posted a lot throughout this thread. 15.5,18, 20.5, 23, 26. Don't know lie angle. Shaft specs have been posted throughout the thread to. Don't know all of them off the top my head but it's on the first few pages if I remember right. JB might be the only one that knows about lie angle but since it's pre release we were not given that info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Bridges. I like the length. I would like to try one of these. Maybe there if finally a hybrid out there for a tall guy like me.

Can anyone tell me if mashie is just like cobra baffler, it looks very similar

dmb's photos have been the best yet! Thanks! Looking at the head makes me wonder if the Mashie was designed to allow for lie adjustment. Anyone know? I know that Jessie Ortiz Workshop Edition Hybrids allow for lie adjustment.

Can anyone tell me if mashie is just like cobra baffler, it looks very similar

Nothing like it. In fact the only thing I have found similar is the rails. Different flight, different sound, different feel, and completely different shaft.

I have the brochure that our rep at our course left for us. Here are the specifications listed:

Club, Loft, Lie, Length, Swing Weight
M1, 15.5*, 59*, 41 1/4", D4
M2, 18*, 59.5*, 40 3/4", D4
M3, 20.5*, 60*, 40 1/4", D4
M4, 23*, 60.5*, 39 3/4", D4
M5, 26*, 61*, 39 1/4", D4

Standard shaft offering: Miyazaki C. Kua 59 Series Hybrid A,R,S,X
Lamkin 36g Superlite grip

M2, M3, M4 available left-handed

Hope that helps.

I have the brochure that our rep at our course left for us. Here are the specifications listed:

Club, Loft, Lie, Length, Swing Weight
M1, 15.5*, 59*, 41 1/4", D4
M2, 18*, 59.5*, 40 3/4", D4
M3, 20.5*, 60*, 40 1/4", D4
M4, 23*, 60.5*, 39 3/4", D4
M5, 26*, 61*, 39 1/4", D4

Standard shaft offering: Miyazaki C. Kua 59 Series Hybrid A,R,S,X
Lamkin 36g Superlite grip

M2, M3, M4 available left-handed

Hope that helps.
Are those shaft lengths or overall lengths?

I measured mine when I got it and was getting around 42.5" for overall length. Maybe I did it wrong though.

Back