Me and a friend hung out at a local Putt Putt back in the mid 70's and actually played in some regional Putt putt tourneys.The Putt putt course manager talked us into going with him to an 18 hole, sort of cheap public course and the first day we walked 27 holes and we both were hooked.We went out and bought a set of new clubs the nest week.I don't know where the other guy is ,but me and my friend still live in the same area and still play golf together quite a bit.

Friends tried for a couple years to get me to play. I finally accepted and was hooked instantly. Not because I played well, I actually played horribly and thus the challege began. I now play less horribly so I guess that is progress. I never imagined being addicted to golf, but the by product has been some endearing friendships which I cherish.

My pops wanted me to play when I was 16. I went out a few times. Golf was not cool back then. 8 years ago,my boys from college starting playing again.(TW made golf cool for us)Here I am.

I never played at all until about a year and a half ago when my father in law took me out to play with him and my brother in law. They are both scratch golfers and kicked my a$% of course as someone who had never played. I'm a very competitive person so I swore that I would be able to play with them in a year. Two weeks later I was hooked and a full fledged golf junkie.

Pop stuck a club in my hands when I was 5.

Honestly use to think golf was boring before TW. Got interested in it once he brought more attention to the game. Had some buddies from tennis that got me to the course my sophomore year of high school. Loved the game ever since. Wife would say I'm addicted. Just doesn't feel right if I don't get a round in each weekend.

My parents both played golf - my father was quite good, my mother not. When I was about 8 I went to a one day junior clinic type of deal at my hometown course and learned the basics, but didn't do any more for several years - my dad didn't want to push golf onto me. The summer of my 11th year, I was never seeing my good friend who was 12 that lived a block over, until one day I did see him and asked where he'd been. He answered he was going to the one local golf course every day - my family had a membership, too, tho only my mother played there - my father refused to play that rinky-dink 9 hole course. I asked to go with him the next day, and took my mothers clubs. Lo and behold, I was pretty much a natural. I shot 55 on 9 holes the first time I ever played and beat my friend, and later that summer when I first broke 50, it was with a 46. I went pretty much every day, and often played all day - and when I didn't play a neighbor had a green in his backyard and allowed me to chip and putt all I wanted. I shot par when I was 14 and once I reached the 9th grade, I joined the golf team and played as the #2 man as a freshmen. My freshman year I got to play in the group with Lyn Lott, a senior at Douglas GA, and as a sophomore I was matched against Andy Bean a few times when he was also a soph from Brunswick (tied him both matches). I ended up playing all 4 years - golf was my only high school sport (I was good at all the other sports in every area but foot speed, but there's no running in golf!).

Watched golf on TV when I was in high school. When I was 15 (1969) I picked up an old club in a friend's garage and he gave it to me. I only played short pitch/putt courses. Many of you remember the clubs from way back then..mostly blades, no cavity back, no forgiveness...Very frustrating...But I enjoyed it..Of course I never told my friends. We all played football and lacrosse and the golfers were the nerds...I really got hooked at about 23..My brother was on the HS golf team for a year and they needed an assistant (this meant I had a van to transport the team, not because of my talent). For 4 months I got to play 4-5 days a week for free and that got me hooked..I've played steady since then...Gave it up for a few years in the early 90s because of work hours and laziness but got back into it and really enjoy it..And after playing for about 40 years I'm finally going to take lessons..I wish I would have done this when I started..Most of the bad habits ingrained for all these years would be gone...My brother took a few lesson right out of high school and now he's a solid 4 handicap from the tips..I hate him :crying:

My uncle had already been playing and gave me a few clubs. Thankfully he is a lefty too! I would hit in the yard and into an open field in front of our house. My cousins that are a little younger than me started playing one summer and I was hooked in trying to play later that fall. My uncle gave be a spare set of clubs and I started playing late of 98'. I ended up playing my senior year (99') on high school golf team.

Last edited:
I started playing when I was 12 with a friend. Got my first set for my 13th b-day. Some McGregor blades and a mixed set of woods. Been playing for over 35 years now..

Love the game....

Mike

My uncle had already been playing and gave me a few clubs. Thankfully he is a lefty too! I would hit in the yard and into an open field in front of out house. My cousins that are a little younger than me started playing one summer and I was hooked in trying to play later that fall. My uncle gave be a spare set of clubs and I started playing late of 98'. I ended up playing my senior year (99') on high school golf team.

hope you didnt hit too many balls into the out house

Its the family tradition, my Grandpa was a pga teaching professional, and my dad and uncle both played in college. Its just what the family did on weekends lol.

Pure chance. It was what we decided to do when the ladies were having a baby shower for Erica.

I started playing my senior year of high school. I had played baseball up until that point and knew I wasn't going anywhere playing that, so I started playing golf with some friends of mine several times a week. We had probably 8 or 10 people that would go out and play and I think I am the only one that still plays on a regular basis.

Well as my mother and older brother have told me, I was 3 when I first discovered golf! My brother was watching something on tv one day, and as the program went off, golf came on. I just sat and stared at the tv awe-struck! Then, I got up, walked over to my brothers baseball bat bag and grabbed his bat. Then I grabbed a ball and started "putting" around the house. The next day, my brother went to the local golf shop and bought my first putter!

From then on, I was hooked! :golf2:

I got started playing at a nine hole par three right next to campus between classes. It started out with one guy from our group who talked everyone else into playing. Then came the tin cup type games and it has grown into a full blown obsession. I have the sickness.

who first put a club into your hand?

who first put a club into your hand?

My father first put a club in my hands at the age of 7.

My dad started me playing at about 11, I had a set of Sam Snead Young Champ clubs.

Father of course. Inspired by his father. And so on and so forth.

My Dad without a doubt. We used to play a municipal once every few months when I was young and used to play with whiffle balls in the back garden. Under 13s weren't allowed to play at the course he was a member so I used to just walk round with him while he played. That used to be almost as much fun as playing.

My Grandpa. He gave me my first set of clubs at age 9. My dad has never played a round of golf in his life, but used to be my biggest supporter when I played in club events and High School.

My dad. He always played 2-3 times a week with a group of guys. He bought me clubs when I was 6, because I always wanted to go with him. He always took me to the range and let me get a feel for the game. We eventually started playing par 3 courses until I got better. Now I play with him 3-4 times a week.

How did you get started in golf???

How did you get started in golf???

when i was 4 my dad would take me out and show me how it was done and i loved comeing out to the golf course with him so i would always ask him if we could go and when he said no that made me want to go even more. And now he is always wanting to take me asking me if i could show him how it is done or if i could come out and help him out with his swing.

Back