Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

Lol... Yeah its funny she is just squeaking and not talking haha.

Anyway I got to take this one the course today. Last minute tee time my pops booked for us and I wasn't sure it would be possible because of the back yesterday but all turned out ok. I still had some pain but I was able to hit some monsters. Ill get more range time in this week as well as another round. After today I'm flat out giddy of what this club can do. On the the specifics. Mind you, since this is a long term review its not my final but just the thoughts I put down today.

Distance:
Average Distance from the 20.5 was 208 (gps'd). I hit two bombs (217,219) and one fat (195). There was no difference off the deck or off the tee for me. I don't normally tee up a FW or Hybrid but it's something I did a couple times today. I need to see if it works better. I hit 8 total shots with this club today.

I would usually put two categories for a club I hit off the tee and deck but no need here. It's so consistant it doesn't matter where you hit it. I had one shot where I pulled the Mashie out of the bag for a tee shot. I duffed it (291 yard hole and it rolled exactly 80 yards). I was hitting 2 and 211 to the flag. I said wth and hit Mashie again. 209 ish in the air and total 210. It literally hopped and stopped.

Sound/Feel
The sound and feel is more iron than hybrid, but hybrid easy to hit. It feels crisp and the sound is unique imo. Something that really has to be felt in person. I get feedback off mishits but to be quite honest, I didn't miss much with it. I could feel the toe shot I hit though.

The ball flight was piercing and it really cut through the air. It is just a monster. You get that woosh sound as the ball explodes off the clubface.

Ball Flight:
My pops and I just marvled at the ball flight. When I hit the ball we just stopped and watched it. He was just commenting how great it was. High ball flight that lands extremely soft. I hit a couple draws today that got some good roll too. It climbs but is piercing the sky as it does so. This is the point where I know I'm hitting a beast of a club with a top notch shaft. Some shafts just throw a ball up/high, this club launches the ball.

Overall:
So impressed with the performance of the club today. Whether you are on the tee or the fairway, this club just performs. I only got to hit out of some dead grass and no real shots out of the rough.. yet. The sound and feel is so unique I advise everyone to at least take some swings. The ball flight is something I think everyone should experience. I have used a lot of hybrids (although I did settle on the nickent) and I can't imagine hitting another right now. The fact that a tour shaft comes standard is also a huge plus. More to come as I get more course/range time! Thanks again!

Great write up Yoccos, my mashie crush is growing exponentially!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Ok I am back with another report of my day with the Mashie. I got up this morning intending to see a couple of customers, run by the golf store to pick up a new glove and then hit the course and hope to have a better outing than the last time. My day did not exactly work out as I would like but I did have some good info to pass on none the less. I stopped at the loal golf store ( Roger Dunn for you Calif/Arizona people) and after picking up my new glove I strayed over to the club section. I heard my good friend Puttin4bird's voice in my head telling me that he thought the TM Superfast hybrid was the best thing since sliced bread and the testers would have to do a great job of impressing him if he was to change his mind. I walked over to the TM barrel and picked up a 21* hybrid w regular shaft ( same specs as my Mashie) and headed over to the indoor range w/ monitors. I took 15 swings with the club and I gotta say I was a bit impressed. The ball seemed to jump off the club nicely and according to the monitor the ball flight was a bit lower than the Mashie but the distance was short 10-20 yards of what I was seeing with my club. I hit a couple other clubs, mostly drivers ( my endless search) then headed the course in hopes of getting out today. I went to 3 different courses, each one was packed and running 60-90 minutes behind schedule and would take me anywhere from one to two hours to get on as a single. I did not realize half of Los Angeles is off this week and at the golf course.

What I lost in course time I gained in range time. At each of my stops I bought a large bucket of balls and just hit the Mashie. It took me about half a bucket to figure out what I was doing wrong. I remembered a tip from one of Andy's first videos about the butt of the club aimed at your belly button. I combined that tip and one from KellyBo about swinging slower and BAM!! it all connected. All of a sudden I am launching missle after missle with this club. The smile on my face at the first range must of been a mile wide cause the guy next to me started to make some small talk. He asked about the club and I told him about it. He took a few shots with it and after 3 swings he was bombing them also. He asked when it was comming out cause he wanted one cause he has been having truble recently with his woods and decided he wanted to go to hybrids. I left that course and had the same results at the next two stops. The crisp sound others have mentioned was there, the ball flight was nice and high then the ball just dropped down nicely. I would say the dispersion was minimal as each shot went straight out and landed just short of the 200yd sign each time ( by the end of each bucket there was a nice grouping of golf balls out there).

I am bummed that I did not get on the course today ( I do however have confirmed tee times both Friday and Sunday so don't fear) but I am EXTREMELY excited about the results today. This club is EXACTLY what I tought it was, a rocket launcher that will be my answer to the 185-200yard shot that I have tried to use a variety of clubs to accomplish. I love this club and thing it is awesome!! Maybe as a higher handicapper I needed to calm down and learn a bit more how to use this club, others who are better golfers with a more consistant swing will probably pick it up with in 5-10 shots ( like the gentleman today). I can't wait till Friday, I still want to see this club from the rough but I am confident I am not going to have any issues! :blob:

Last edited:
Lol as it should! Its on a whole other level of performance.
Great write up Yoccos, my mashie crush is growing exponentially!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awesome information yoccos and rhino and bridges! sounds like you all three had "a ha" moments today. congrats to all of you and good stuff so far. keep up the good work.

You to man! Just got caught up on all the posts, You got me curious about maybe an x-stiff to cure that hook. But then again I think the x-stiff might be to much shaft for me.

The opposite happens to me when I have too whippy a shaft... I get big balloon slices. The shaft has touble getting the clubhead back to square, with a big bend backwards at the ball (I've seen it in motion capture).

Great reviews guys!!!

The opposite happens to me when I have too whippy a shaft... I get big balloon slices. The shaft has touble getting the clubhead back to square, with a big bend backwards at the ball (I've seen it in motion capture).

See what is even more awesome about the mashie, is that out of 125 or so balls I have sliced 2 times. Dont get me wrong it wont just cure a slice like that but for me to only slice 2 is pretty good. I am pushing quite a few to the right but its my fault because im not turning my hands over, then I will turn them over to much and hook it lol Each time though, im getting more and more comfortable and starting to see better and better results. I think most of the people at the outing were able to pick it up and hit it solid each time within 5-10 shots but for some reason its taking me a little longer to get fully comfortable with it. But when you do connect perfectly it is jaw dropping just watching the ball fly.

See what is even more awesome about the mashie, is that out of 125 or so balls I have sliced 2 times. Dont get me wrong it wont just cure a slice like that but for me to only slice 2 is pretty good. I am pushing quite a few to the right but its my fault because im not turning my hands over, then I will turn them over to much and hook it lol Each time though, im getting more and more comfortable and starting to see better and better results. I think most of the people at the outing were able to pick it up and hit it solid each time within 5-10 shots but for some reason its taking me a little longer to get fully comfortable with it. But when you do connect perfectly it is jaw dropping just watching the ball fly.

Yeah, its a great club with a great shaft. When I hit it at the outing for about 15 or 20 swings, all I hit was straight bombs, and my SS is best suited to x-stiff, and I was hitting the stiff flex mashie just fine.

Its such a balanced club man. The feel, sound, shaft and performance is just fantastix right now.
awesome information yoccos and rhino and bridges! sounds like you all three had "a ha" moments today. congrats to all of you and good stuff so far. keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude you should have no problem putting the ball out there 220-230(carry) or farther with the 20.5*. I have been using crappy range balls and its been 45* or below each time I have hit it and the shots I have hit good, I walked to them and they have been in the 205-210 range (carry)(via rangefinder) once it warms up and I start using better balls for the course this will probably be a good 210-225(carry) yard club for me, which is exactly what I want since I hit that 3w about 230-235. It would be scary what you could do with a 18*.

Dude you should have no problem putting the ball out there 220-230(carry) or farther with the 20.5*. I have been using crappy range balls and its been 45* or below each time I have hit it and the shots I have hit good, I walked to them and they have been in the 205-210 range (carry)(via rangefinder) once it warms up and I start using better balls for the course this will probably be a good 210-225(carry) yard club for me, which is exactly what I want since I hit that 3w about 230-235. It would be scary what you could do with a 18*.[/QUOTE]

Remember Biggsy's numbers with i believe a 20.5*

Dude you should have no problem putting the ball out there 220-230(carry) or farther with the 20.5*. I have been using crappy range balls and its been 45* or below each time I have hit it and the shots I have hit good, I walked to them and they have been in the 205-210 range (carry)(via rangefinder) once it warms up and I start using better balls for the course this will probably be a good 210-225(carry) yard club for me, which is exactly what I want since I hit that 3w about 230-235. It would be scary what you could do with a 18*.

Bridges - I can't remember (I'm sure you already answered this) - did you have a hybrid before or have any comparisons against another hybrid in terms of ease of hitting the club?

Bridges - I can't remember (I'm sure you already answered this) - did you have a hybrid before or have any comparisons against another hybrid in terms of ease of hitting the club?

I had 2(19*, 22*) TaylorMade 2009 TP rescue hybrids with Aldila Voodoo SVS8 83g shafts about 4 months ago but sold them. To be honest i cant remember why I did either. I think it was for money to buy something else golf related that I needed (wanted lol) more.

It was a great hybrid, in fact the clubhead shape reminds me a lot of the mashie club head. Both are compact and made to be very versatile, but by far the feel of the mashie is better. I actually wish I still had the 19* to compare them both head to head right now. The TM rescue had the FCT to adjust the face which was really nice, and it gave me a really penetrating flight. So far from what Im noticing from the mashie, is its launching a little higher but also has even more penetrating flight. I actually think the mashie and 09 TP rescue would be a good battle in terms of distance, and easy to hit but mashie would win hands down in the feel department. If I had the extra $$ I would buy the rescue again just to compare for the testing.

Really wish I could remember why I sold it now lol

Remember Biggsy's numbers with i believe a 20.5*
It was an 18.5 that wasn't shafted for me, but still an amazing club. Here were my numbers with it.

Taylormade Blank (TM Burner Tour)

292qo94.jpg

Bridgestone e6 Orange

xf6mb.jpg

Bridgestone B330

dzcjky.jpg

Great information so far. Yoccos, I'm pretty sure I hate you right now. Your description made me really miss golf.

geez, biggsy's launch angle is phenomenal w/an 18.5* head. i'm not sure i could come close to those distances myself, lol. i'm not looking for a set distance our of the 20.5* mashie. i'd like it to perform well and how i want it to from about 200-230 if i could. it doesn't have to be longer than my 3 iron, but it's gonna have to be as accurate and more importantly, keep balls on line when i don't put the best swing on it. that's the thing about the 3iron that i enjoy so much: when i do miss it's more of a leaking fade, not a slice like i've seen w/ past hybrids. if it's great when struck well, and good when struck ok, and i don't completely lose balls left with it, then it should have a great chance to earn a spot in the bag.

again, i've never seen a club work so well with so many people. i spent a lot of time with hanks, OEM, even JB when they had the mashie in play and it was the same goodness from all of them.

Thats just ridiculous! Which shaft was in it?

stock, stiff i believe bridges. but look at that launch angle! i've played a couple of rounds with biggsy and that dude really comes down and into the golf ball. that's the ideal launch angle off a driver for me, haha

stock, stiff i believe bridges. but look at that launch angle! i've played a couple of rounds with biggsy and that dude really comes down and into the golf ball. that's the ideal launch angle off a driver for me, haha

Idk whats considered a good launch angle with the mashie so Im just going to nod my head and say yes lol

From what I'm getting, Bigsy just kills the ball!!! I would love some of those numbers with my driver haha.

Thats just ridiculous! Which shaft was in it?

TC is right, it was a stock stiff that I could not go after, but it was a good thing. I found myself swinging real easy and the ball just goes with the club, there was no need to try and help it.

I come in steep and hit the ball low with the driver, 3 wood and with this mashie.

One more thing, those numbers were right off the mat and were not teed up. I did not have a ton of course time with the club.

TC, I did not have it in the bag at Prestancia and never hit it that day we were getting blown around. I was afraid of where the ball may go, I should have just hit it. I forgot about it after the round and that's how I got to spend almost two weeks with the club. Oops :D

One more thing TC, I know you love your 3 iron...this blows away any 3 iron I've hit, or in my case, missed. Add in that it's easier to hit out of the rough and it's a bona fide winner for me.

TC is right, it was a stock stiff that I could not go after, but it was a good thing. I found myself swinging real easy and the ball just goes with the club, there was no need to try and help it.

I come in steep and hit the ball low with the driver, 3 wood and with this mashie.

One more thing, those numbers were right off the mat and were not teed up. I did not have a ton of course time with the club.

TC, I did not have it in the bag at Prestancia and never hit it that day we were getting blown around. I was afraid of where the ball may go, I should have just hit it. I forgot about it after the round and that's how I got to spend almost two weeks with the club. Oops :D

One more thing TC, I know you love your 3 iron...this blows away any 3 iron I've hit, or in my case, missed. Add in that it's easier to hit out of the rough and it's a bona fide winner for me.

well, i certainly trust you my friend. you know how much i love my 3iron so for you to say that, makes the wait even harder.

When I eventually put this in my bag, I am going to with something more lofted below what I had. It was great to hit the club the way I did, it just creates huge gaps for me.

Back