College Golfer Records Two Double Eagles in Same Round

Dent

MIA
Reaction score
Handicap
http://naia.cstv.com/sports/m-golf/spec-rel/120810aaa.html

Dec. 8, 2010

Story courtesy of Houston-Victoria Sports Information

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - University of Houston-Victoria (Texas) golfer Jon Moore accomplished a rare feat when he recorded two double-eagles on the front nine during his round at Oso Beach Municipal Golf Course on Dec. 5.

Moore, a freshman from Corpus Christi, Texas, recorded double-eagles on the 482-yard, par-5 third hole and the 483-yard, par-5 eighth hole. He recorded a 29 on the front nine.

"I was really surprised because it's actually harder to do than making a hole-in-one," Moore said. "I wasn't feeling real well when we started and wasn't thinking about anything, but I started feeling a lot better after the second one."

According to a 2004 article in Golf World, between 1983 and 2003, there were 631 aces on the PGA Tour but just 56 double-eagles and never more than six in one year. Also, approximately 40,000 aces are recorded each year in the U.S. compared to just a couple hundred double-eagles.

Moore said the pressure of his round came on the back nine when he began thinking about possibly shooting a round of 59. He birdied two of the first five holes on the back, but cooled off to finish with a 33. Moore carded a course-record 62.

"It's the course record for the newly redesigned course," Moore said. "The actual course record was a 61 before they came in and totally redesigned it."

Moore used a 3-iron for his 205-yard second shot on No. 3. The ball hit short of the green, but ran up on the green and into the hole.

"I didn't see that one go in, but realized it went in when the group in front of us all started cheering," Moore said. "I did see the next one."

After hitting a 2-iron off the tee on No. 8, Moore nailed a 6-iron from 190 yards out. The shot hit short of the pin, took one bounce and disappeared in the hole.

"The first one kind of shocked me, but after I made the second one I realized I needed to par the last hole for a 29," Moore said. "I've shot 30 there on the front, but never a 29."

The first double-eagle didn't affect Moore's game either, as he birdied the next two holes, took par on the sixth, before recording his only bogey on the front at the par-4 No. 7.

Wow, pretty exciting day for that guy.

Wow, most people will go their entire lives without one, and he gets two in one day. Incredible feat!!

That is a story he will be telling for many years to come.

That's incredible! I nearly wet myself over birdies :embarrassed:

That's astounding. I don't know what I'd do if I hit one of them. I was pretty amazed by my one eagle. Congrats to that man!

wow. that's a looong 2 iron off the tee on the second one as well.

Back