After checking a number of studies I'm right there with Gus's recommendations with 2 added ones.

A: Prior to drinking heavily, take 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil. It will coat the lining of your stomach and regulate the alcohol absorbtion
B: Replace the grease food with eggs, or at least make sure said grease food features a lot of eggs. The added protein plus the electrolytes from the gatorade you're chugging down will go a long way to help your body recover normal function after it's burned off the alcoholoic energy

Or so Hopkins says.

Not sure about you guys but I can't stand gatorade. I usually buy powerade now and after drinking it can't go back.

look i can post like tc from tapatalk

Not sure about you guys but I can't stand gatorade. I usually buy powerade now and after drinking it can't go back.

look i can post like tc from tapatalk

I prefer powerade too- and it's also cheaper. Double win.

Tapatalking

I'll disagree with this one Smallville. Sorry!

1. Tylenol #3 only lasts about 8 hours, so it will be out of your system by the morning if you really pass out
2. Tylenol + Alcohol = BAD liver. Not that doing it once will kill you, but done with any regularity you are setting yourself up for MAJOR problems.

The best thing you can do for a hangover is take 2 aleve (naproxen) before you go to bed (no liver problems, works for 12 hours), and drink 32 ounces of gatorade in the hour or so before you go to bed (and after your last alcoholic drink).

Hangovers are 90% dehydration that occurs from the body using water to breakdown the alcohol. While drinking water throughout the night will help- most of it will get pee'd out over the course of the night. Drinking the water/gatorade right before you go to bed helps it hang around longer when you really need it... while your body clears all the alcohol out of your system.

Another important part about the hangover is that alcohol changes your sleep structure, and while you are "passed out" you rarely actually get any quality REM sleep. While alcohol may make you tired it actually prevents the body from actually sleeping. This is true of almost all "sleep " medications on the market too. They help you fall asleep but don't allow for as much regenerative sleep.

There is nothing you can really do about the wine hangover. It's a completely different problem based on several chemicals that are in wine that aren't in most other alcoholic beverages. Keep hydrated and pre-take medication and hope for the best. You may still have a groggy/headache but it will be much better that way.

Can I say again- if you drink with any regularity PLEASE don't use Tylenol. Please. Take Ibuprofen (Motrin) or Naproxen (Aleve) and leave the tylenol in the bottle.

Edit: Tylenol is in a TON of products. Look for the ingredient 'acetaminophen' on the label. 'Acetaminophen' = Tylenol. I honestly believe that if Tylenol were to come to market now, that it wouldn't be approved. Tylenol is the LEADING CAUSE of acute liver failure in the US.

Thanks RxGus - very informative. I used to be a bigger drinker, before I had kids (you know, pregnancy and all that). Now I'm the lightest light-weight around. Give me ONE bottle of Amstel, and I'm set for the night. When I used to drink more, however, I would find a 32oz of Gatorade + Tylenol before bed + eggs (but not oily food) in the AM would work. OH - and I never drink or drank until I threw up.

Have a good time tonight Gents - and make sure you have a designated driver and are safe (oy - such the mom, I know). It's not just you out on the road, but a bunch of other people who probably are drinking and driving so make sure you have all your faculties b/f you hit the road. & HAPPY NEW YEAR! :)

grape powerade and 2 alleve before bed, leave a bottle of water in the bathroom to drink when getting up to pee, wake up and eat a mcdonalds steak,egg and cheese bagel washed down with a green squall powerade. then wash, rinse and repeat!

no matter what you do or where you go tonite, have fun but be smart and most of all stay safe! Happy New Years to all!

1. Tylenol #3 only lasts about 8 hours, so it will be out of your system by the morning if you really pass out
2. Tylenol + Alcohol = BAD liver. Not that doing it once will kill you, but done with any regularity you are setting yourself up for MAJOR problems.

The best thing you can do for a hangover is take 2 aleve (naproxen) before you go to bed (no liver problems, works for 12 hours), and drink 32 ounces of gatorade in the hour or so before you go to bed (and after your last alcoholic drink).

Hangovers are 90% dehydration that occurs from the body using water to breakdown the alcohol. While drinking water throughout the night will help- most of it will get pee'd out over the course of the night. Drinking the water/gatorade right before you go to bed helps it hang around longer when you really need it... while your body clears all the alcohol out of your system.

Another important part about the hangover is that alcohol changes your sleep structure, and while you are "passed out" you rarely actually get any quality REM sleep. While alcohol may make you tired it actually prevents the body from actually sleeping. This is true of almost all "sleep " medications on the market too. They help you fall asleep but don't allow for as much regenerative sleep.

There is nothing you can really do about the wine hangover. It's a completely different problem based on several chemicals that are in wine that aren't in most other alcoholic beverages. Keep hydrated and pre-take medication and hope for the best. You may still have a groggy/headache but it will be much better that way.

Can I say again- if you drink with any regularity PLEASE don't use Tylenol. Please. Take Ibuprofen (Motrin) or Naproxen (Aleve) and leave the tylenol in the bottle.

Edit: Tylenol is in a TON of products. Look for the ingredient 'acetaminophen' on the label. 'Acetaminophen' = Tylenol. I honestly believe that if Tylenol were to come to market now, that it wouldn't be approved. Tylenol is the LEADING CAUSE of acute liver failure in the US.

I agree with Gus... add a urinal right by the bed or *insert place where you will or are passed out* (or have someone insert a catheter if you know a medical professional) and you're set!

A can of Joose works for me most mornings.
For the hard core: a glass of warm extremely salty water or a glass of hot water and Mayo will get everything out the same night and you will wake up with out a hangover.

Some salty greasy food and about a gallon of water. Otherwise, I have a friend who works in the medical field set me up with an IV if it's really a bad one. One bag later and I feel like I didn't even drink the night before.

Some salty greasy food and about a gallon of water. Otherwise, I have a friend who works in the medical field set me up with an IV if it's really a bad one. One bag later and I feel like I didn't even drink the night before.

That's interesting. I work in a medical field and am surrounded by people who work in the medical field. I have never met anyone who has access to IV fluids at home or in another casual setting. Even my friends who are EMTs don't have IV start kits laying around, or liters of normal saline in their garage. While the theory would certainly work, I doubt it I used much in practice. Besides a full liter of saline takes almost 8 hours to run unless you go with a really high rate.

Tapatalking

I either get no hangover or a massive hangover with a lot of vomitting. I would do anything to just have a big headache instead of stomach pains. My last hangover lasted 2 days.. but it might have been stomach flu.

this may be the most popular thread come tomorrow morning/afternoon

Good stuff, guru. I used to prefer Naproxen. But, I've got stomach issues, and Naproxen can really accelerate GERD (Reflux). I'm mostly an ibuprofen guy now. The tylenol & alcohol mixing dangers is great info. It's a good thing I rarely partake.

Dent...You and I are just alike when it comes to hangovers my friend. I have gotten to the point where I am scared to drink in excess due to the hangover possibility. I am going to give it a go tonight though....

this may be the most popular thread come tomorrow morning/afternoon

By that point it is just too late. Poor souls...

Tapatalking

Another option, I think, is to drink a glass of water between every alcoholic beverage.

Gus,
Does that work or do you just piss it all away?

Another option, I think, is to drink a glass of water between every alcoholic beverage.

Gus,
Does that work or do you just piss it all away?

Staticline,
I would say it is certainly better than nothing. You'll loose a lot of that in your trips to the head, but I think you are still much better off than if you drank only alcohol.

This would probably be a good option for someone like One-T who apparently lacks bladder fortitude. Or a great option if you are someone who doesn't have to "break the seal" (if there is such a thing, and I am not sure that physiologically there is).

Tapatalking

Its 5:47am and I'm starting this thread over from the beginning..............

I just drank some juice called Naked blue machine, all natural fruit + boosts, good stuff. Feel all new again even though I didnt get crazy last night. And since youre curious I'll break it down for you. This bottle contains: 27 blueberries, 3 blackberries, 3 1/4 apples and 1 banana. And for the "boosts" part theres a whole bunch of vitamins.

I just drink with moderation.Works great for the morning after.

full strength mountain dew in the morning is all you need

I have the BEST Cure , I dont drink , so no hangover :D

Not hanging today. Got tired early. Worked out ok since the kid woke up at 5:30.

Tapatalk: Not just for the bathroom.

I have the plastic sheets already!
dexter? is that you?

well i had a ton of water before going to bed and ate a ton of kahlua pork all thru the night while drinking
woke up with a big glass of fruit juice first thing... not really a hang over... just a kinda numbness but feeling okay!
woohoo happy 1/1/11!

I just drink with moderation.Works great for the morning after.

Lies! How dare you spread that filth on THP.

::heads back to the "do you like to party" thread::

Tapatalking

Back