Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

oh yeah.....great way to go for it if you have a good lie
Hitting a hybrid out of a fairway bunker? That is very interesting!

Took the mashie (18*) out for a little birthday range time and man was it a GREAT day. Had only 2 bad shots out of every 10-12 balls, not sure actually how many I hit though.

Everything was just clicking today with the mashie, ball flight was high, distance was very far, and the feel was amazing. I definitely have mashie fever after today. Smooth swing after smooth swing and the ball just flew down the range straight, it was crazy how good I was hitting it. Feel is the greatest thing ever with this club, when you hit it solid its like sweet music to your ears. Gawd, it just fly's to.

I just hit off a tee today for all my shots and this will definitely get a lot of tee time during my rounds, I mean 215+ then add the roll you get after and straight down the fairway is hard not to use on almost every hole. I really hope I continue to see the results that I saw today, I will no doubt buy the 23* when they're released if these results keep happening.

Testers: Are you swinging easier/slower with the Mashie than you would normally your hybrid? I'm seeing several that seem to be taking a little off of theirs to be able to hit it better? Is there any reasoning you feel is behind that or is it just the new club until you are familiar with it? Great reviews guys!

Testers: Are you swinging easier/slower with the Mashie than you would normally your hybrid? I'm seeing several that seem to be taking a little off of theirs to be able to hit it better? Is there any reasoning you feel is behind that or is it just the new club until you are familiar with it? Great reviews guys!

To be honest Im not sure if my swing speed is actually slowing down, because the club head generates so much speed coming through. Not sure if that makes sense? I know im for sure slowing down my arms on takeaway but with the club being lighter I dont think the actual swing speed slows down just your motion and you let the club do its work which still generates the same speed as what you would take with a "normal" heavier hybrid. Its hard to explain, but I guess I would have to see launch monitor numbers to be 100% sure, it just feels like thats the way it is, well to me anyways.

i'm not sure if i'm swinging the mashie slower either JD, but i know if i make an aggressive swing with it....i'm seeing that big hook. i wish i knew what was going on there. i can't help but think it's getting use to the shaft/head combination. not that swinging smooth is a bad thing at all, and like i said, it seemed to help my overall ball striking. i'd say for me it may be a "newness" factor still. i think i went out there with incredibly high expectations. i'm not saying that the mashie hasn't been good, but it hasn't blown me away after one range session and one round of golf. it sounds and feels fantastic though. i just need more time.

i'm not sure if i'm swinging the mashie slower either JD, but i know if i make an aggressive swing with it....i'm seeing that big hook. i wish i knew what was going on there. i can't help but think it's getting use to the shaft/head combination. not that swinging smooth is a bad thing at all, and like i said, it seemed to help my overall ball striking. i'd say for me it may be a "newness" factor still. i think i went out there with incredibly high expectations. i'm not saying that the mashie hasn't been good, but it hasn't blown me away after one range session and one round of golf. it sounds and feels fantastic though. i just need more time.

TC -- You know how my tendency is 98 % right to left so this hybrid would be pretty easy for me to draw. Do you have any problems hitting an occasional fade with the mashie?

Im finding if I take a smooth swing (not letting up) and just stay in tempo, I make great contact. Even when I get after it, I dont see some of the issues others see witha hook. For me, the majority of the time I see a hook is when I get handsy and flip the club, which happens with any club in my bag.

We are definitely all different with our swings though and thats why its great we have a lot of testers sharing their experience. If I swing smooth on all my shots with all my clubs like the Mashie, it works out for the best. Ive found the Mashie really helps set a good swing tempo for me.

The club really forces you to swing within yourself. I attribute that to the shaft but I dont know if its just me. The more I swing the club the more confident I get. Again its a smooth tempo for me now, as opposed to taking anything off my swing.

Gray, I havent had an issue hitting a fade. I did it a couple times at the range. Not really on puropose but its there and a shot I tend to hit with longer clubs lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im not taking anything off of mine. I have a fairly smooth tempo and that could be the reason, but my normal swing produces the ball flight that I am looking for.

TC -- You know how my tendency is 98 % right to left so this hybrid would be pretty easy for me to draw. Do you have any problems hitting an occasional fade with the mashie?

not if i open the face up a little bit, but you know that my stock shot w/my woods is a fade and i'm just not seeing that with the Mashie, which imo, is a good thing. it's nice that it flights and performs similarly to my irons. look, i'm not hooking the Mashie every single time, but my miss with it so far has been a hook. i don't think i cut one ball friday with it. and of the 11 times i pulled it on the course, i hooked it 2 or 3, the rest of the time i was very pleased with my results.

It worries me when I read that people are having 'make a smooth tempo' or 'slow down' in order to get the best results out of this club, which seems to be the case so far for a few of the testers. Golf clubs should fit your swing, we should never adapt or change our swing to match a club. You are asking for serious problems when you have one or two clubs in your bag that require a different swing or tempo.

It worries me when I read that people are having 'make a smooth tempo' or 'slow down' in order to get the best results out of this club, which seems to be the case so far for a few of the testers. Golf clubs should fit your swing, we should never adapt or change our swing to match a club. You are asking for serious problems when you have one or two clubs in your bag that require a different swing or tempo.

I have to say I think that is people getting adjusted and in some ways "worried" about the lighter shaft. I have not seen this problem at all, and I did not see it out of anybody at the THP Outing a few months back. I have also not seen anything even close to this out of our group testing that we did 3 weeks ago at OCN with 14 golfers. Just not sure where the 1-2 people in this thread are seeing it. As I said, I believe it is them "not sure" about the weight and whether it will hold up, in my opinion anyway.

This shaft is the same version and weight being played by about 16 PGA Tour players right now and a few that do not have the slowest tempo by any means if that means anything at all.

You're right, this club may not work for everyone and it's something people should consider.

However, I do want to add, a smooth swing/good tempo is a big factor to most anyones swing I would assume. Smooth to some is 120mph and 98mph to others. I've found that if I stay in tempo on my other clubs the results are also much better. I have no issues when I need to put more behind this club but it really helps the rest of my game when I swing smooth and within tempo.

Would love to see some wear pictures on this club. I find it interesting to see how a club wears or how the head cover holds up to the use.

I can get some up later today for ya!

Would love to see some wear pictures on this club. I find it interesting to see how a club wears or how the head cover holds up to the use.

A note on the slower swing speed debate:

I don't really feel like I need to slow my swing speed down, I just don't have to over cook it to get great results. This club makes it so easy on the user. It is almost driver like. You can just give a nice controlled swing and get unbelievable results. If you do want to get on it, you can get good results if you can stay true to your swing. Most people that try and over do a swing, get off balance and throw it off.

i think dmb has made a very good point. i don't know if my ss is literally slower or if i'm just focusing more on control throughout the swing. perhaps JB is right, maybe i'm subconsciously worried about the lightness of the shaft. i don't think that i am but i don't know. all that i know right now is that this bad boy is slice proof. when i get after it with anything i fade the ball, except with the mashie. again, it's not awful or it's not something that has me too concerned right now as it was just my first time out with it. i'm just reporting what i saw and how it makes me feel.

I think (in my case) I've found that I tend to get quick in my tempo at times, which causes all kinds of other problems. I hit every club crappy when I do that, not just the Mashie. What is different with the Mashie is that I will usually pull the ball rather than slice it. It's the same swing flaw (OTT), but I have an easier time closing the face, so it goes left instead of right. Many of the testers here have a normal miss to the right and now it's to the left, so they are noticing that difference.

A note on the slower swing speed debate:

I don't really feel like I need to slow my swing speed down, I just don't have to over cook it to get great results. This club makes it so easy on the user. It is almost driver like. You can just give a nice controlled swing and get unbelievable results. If you do want to get on it, you can get good results if you can stay true to your swing. Most people that try and over do a swing, get off balance and throw it off.

I think this is spot on. I played this club down in FL along with JB and Hanks and I dont think anyone had to slow down their swing. I got great results from my normal swing but letting the shaft do its thing. Dont over swing but you know what happens if you swing and slow down or your a little hesitant, bad things happen. Just swing it!

I'm just seeing 6 out of 6 testers say swing smoother (to me means swing slower/take some off than you normally would) with Mashie makes outcome better. If that works and you love outcome more power to everyone. I just don't have the swing slower mindset rather than club down but that really doesn't work for a hybrid.

Each time out I have seen better and better results. Day 1 was terrible, but now im starting to see a lot more good shots mixed in and have no doubt as I spend more and more time with it that I will have a lot more good shots than bad with the mashie. A smooth swing is all you need, and I really cant stress that enough. Thats all you need with this club, and it does everything else for you. When I first started out, I was swinging hard and not getting any good results and each range session I have slowed it down a little and focused more on a smooth tempo and it just works, not more to say than it just works with that smooth tempo swing.

Still a lot more mashie to come...

I take a couple of things from this. One, I honestly think this is a perfect option for someone who struggles with a slice. Two, you cannot over power the mashie. It was when I got after it that I saw the hooks. I should've been listening to the other testers b/c we all seem to agree that the mashie works best when it's swung smoothly and all those awesome components get to work.

Mashie Review 2

I am really falling in love with this club. Don’t tell my driver! When you hit it nice and easy it just seems to rocket off of the face forever. I was averaging about 200 to 210 with it. I did notice I have some trouble shaping shots with it. It just seems so forgiving that when I try to shape a shot it ends up going straight. I think this is a really good thing and somewhat of a frustrating point of it. This helps out covering up mishits when you are trying to hit it straight, but it makes it harder for me to shape shots. I really have to work my swing to get a shot to hook or hard fade for me. I think I would rather have a club that hits the ball straight all of the time rather than ease of shot shaping.

TC - Glad you got your Mashie and got to test it out...I enjoyed reading your thoughts. I initially had many of the same problems you experienced...my miss was also a big hook (which is not usually the case for me) and I too had a tough time initially flighting the ball low with the Mashie. After 3-4 more trips to range and me really slowing down my tempo/swing speed everything started to fall into place.

I dont have the 18.5 TS but with the 20.5, it is very easy to get the ball up and far if you swing the club in the proper manner, that is do not over swing. If you want to know about the 18.5 specifically I am sure one of the other guys will chime in and answer.

Im finding if I take a smooth swing (not letting up) and just stay in tempo, I make great contact. Even when I get after it, I dont see some of the issues others see witha hook. For me, the majority of the time I see a hook is when I get handsy and flip the club, which happens with any club in my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your swing is already smooth I wouldn't change anything. To me smooth relates to tempo. I do apologize though if my earlier posts came out that way. Also why shaft fitting would be really important to this one. Good thing is, the stock shaft with this club comes in a variety of options.

I'm just seeing 6 out of 6 testers say swing smoother (to me means swing slower/take some off than you normally would) with Mashie makes outcome better. If that works and you love outcome more power to everyone. I just don't have the swing slower mindset rather than club down but that really doesn't work for a hybrid.

If your swing is already smooth I wouldn't change anything. To me smooth relates to tempo. I do apologize though if my earlier posts came out that way. Also why shaft fitting would be really important to this one. Good thing is, the stock shaft with this club comes in a variety of options.

Im with you, I have never related smooth to slow. Im not even sure how they relate too each other. One is relating to control the other is relating to speed.

To me, swing smoother wouldn't necessarily mean slower. Fluidity of movement and speed are not one in the same. Look at most touring professionals. I would say they are swing the club very smoothly, yet their swing speeds are WAY faster than mine. They have the movement down, which produces speed.

i know there are times when all of us "swing out of our shoes" with our golf clubs, and it's with this swing that i am noticing MY miss with the Mashie (which right now is a hook). typically, that same swing (swinging out of my shoes) with my other clubs results in a slice or a fade. this tells me a couple of things:

1. that the shaft in the mashie is definitely stout enough
2. that i shouldn't be "swinging out of my shoes"

are these bad things? no
is it because of the Mashie? no

i'm afraid that folks may be taking what i'm experiencing and putting doubts in their head. please don't. if you'll read my initial review you'll see that there are way too many good things going on with this golf club. the sound and feel are phenomenal. the ball flight is phenomenal. and my results were probably the best part!

exactly. if that's the case then just find the right shaft to match your swing then

Well maybe we have different ideas of swinging smoother, tempo, etc.... but looks like everyone is changing (minus JB) how they would "normally" swing the Mashie versus another hybrid like littlepingman said about changing their swing to get best results from the club.

It seems there might be properties of Miyazaki where shaft fitting would be very important like others have said then!

Back