Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

One problem I do have with this club is the "smash factor". This happens with my driver too. This is when I smash one really great down the range and my confidence goes through the roof! I then feel like I can put a little more behind it to get greater results, even though the results I had before are about the best I have to offer. I then try to smash it down the range harder and screw up the great outcome from before. If I just keep my confidence at a normal level and hit the club smooth and solid, it crushes the ball right at my target down the range.

I haven't changed a thing. I still put the ball towards the front of my stance and try to swing through it and take a divot. No different. I try to avoid getting to fast, but that is something I struggle with on all of my clubs. I get handsy. Usually I end up slicing the heck out of my driver when I do that.

Well maybe we have different ideas of swinging smoother, tempo, etc.... but looks like everyone is changing how they would "normally" swing the Mashie versus another hybrid like littlepingman said about changing to swing the club.

i don't consciously change anything about my swing, but i know that when i absolutely tried to get on one was when i saw my miss. again, i don't have to change anything to utilize and enjoy and see nice results with the mashie, but what i found was that it wasn't good for me to get after it. i probably put myself in a "get after it" state b/c i wanted to tee off with the Mashie as much as possible, even on longer par 4's where i normally wouldn't. so when i tried to get more out of it, that's when i saw a hook for me. in the end, i learned that there is no need to get after it with the Mashie b/c when i put my normal swing on it, it was fantastic. please keep in mind that this is just what i was seeing, and what i was experiencing. my goal as a tester is to get the club, get it on the course, then report back to you guys what i am seeing/finding. that is what i did.

I haven't changed a thing. I still put the ball towards the front of my stance and try to swing through it and take a divot. No different. I try to avoid getting to fast, but that is something I struggle with on all of my clubs. I get handsy. Usually I end up slicing the heck out of my driver when I do that.

Im with you, I have not changed a thing. I think this goes back to the fact that our testers are just getting the clubs and perhaps are not used to the weight as of yet. The golfers that spent considerable time with the club (like you during review) have not had any issues whatsoever and have it in their bag already.

I'm not actually. Smooth swing is key to a good swing for me and something I was working on prior to Mashie testing. It certainly helps me groove a swing much like I use a Niblick to warm up.
Well maybe we have different ideas of swinging smoother, tempo, etc.... but looks like everyone is changing (minus JB) how they would "normally" swing the Mashie versus another hybrid like littlepingman said about changing their swing to get best results from the club.

It seems there might be properties of Miyazaki where shaft fitting would be very important like others have said then!

I loved reading your initial findings. I'm really excited to see what happens for you and the other testers down the road because I think this club can be a special one for a lot of people.
i don't consciously change anything about my swing, but i know that when i absolutely tried to get on one was when i saw my miss. again, i don't have to change anything to utilize and enjoy and see nice results with the mashie, but what i found was that it wasn't good for me to get after it. i probably put myself in a "get after it" state b/c i wanted to tee off with the Mashie as much as possible, even on longer par 4's where i normally wouldn't. so when i tried to get more out of it, that's when i saw a hook for me. in the end, i learned that there is no need to get after it with the Mashie b/c when i put my normal swing on it, it was fantastic. please keep in mind that this is just what i was seeing, and what i was experiencing. my goal as a tester is to get the club, get it on the course, then report back to you guys what i am seeing/finding. that is what i did.

I think the comments about the swing speed got misunderstood here and it is really not that big of a deal. Like any club in the bag ( or my bag using me as an example), if I try to over swing it, like TC said "come out of my shoes" with the swing, I will 99% of the time screwup the shot. Using the Mashie is no different. When I have a comfortable swing with my driver or my other hybrid that is not a cleveland (for the moment), or with the Mahie, the nall flies like it is supposed to and goes nice and straight. That was all I had meant when I was talking about swing speed and I apologize if I confunsed or mislead anyone.

Good point here. It was like the first time I picked up the Superfast Driver. It just forces you to keep your swing within yourself. For me, its how I want all my swings to be. It's really helping me keep tempo to be honest, much like TC was saying.

I can't wait to put the 15.5 against my 3w when it comes out.

Im with you, I have not changed a thing. I think this goes back to the fact that our testers are just getting the clubs and perhaps are not used to the weight as of yet. The golfers that spent considerable time with the club (like you during review) have not had any issues whatsoever and have it in their bag already.

I loved reading your initial findings. I'm really excited to see what happens for you and the other testers down the road because I think this club can be a special one for a lot of people.

thanks yoccos.

i believe that a lot of things are being misconstrued at the moment. there is far too much goodness in the mashie for the focus to be on what constitutes a "smooth" swing. when i say "get after it" everyone knows what i'm talking about and we all do it. i am guilty of trying to over swing, or trying to kill the golf ball, and all my OP said was that when i did, i saw a hook. that means i probably shouldn't do that in the future. i just don't see this as a negative or a concern, and clearly there's far too much great stuff about this club that seems to be being overlooked, ie, sound, feel, ball flight.

The ball flight is a thing of beauty imo. I love the feel and sound when you hit the club on the screws. I'm a decent golfer but I had people just staring at my shot when I was hitting the Mashie. Not something I'm used to at all. I think when I was seeing such nice shots I wanted to just get after it too. It happens to all of us I think haha.

Ill post some pictures later of the wear on the club.

thanks yoccos.

i believe that a lot of things are being misconstrued at the moment. there is far too much goodness in the mashie for the focus to be on what constitutes a "smooth" swing. when i say "get after it" everyone knows what i'm talking about and we all do it. i am guilty of trying to over swing, or trying to kill the golf ball, and all my OP said was that when i did, i saw a hook. that means i probably shouldn't do that in the future. i just don't see this as a negative or a concern, and clearly there's far too much great stuff about this club that seems to be being overlooked, ie, sound, feel, ball flight.

I had some trouble this past year with hooking the ball. It was one of the reasons why I moved away from the G15 hybrids, they hooked on me more then they went straight. That being said I dont think I ever saw a hook with the Mashie. Not at the demo day where we could only hit them on the range or at the Hanks mini outing where we got the chance to game them on the course. These were long and straight for me. Im not saying others arent seeing it just what my experience was with the Mashie when I had my chance with them.

Im willing to bet when FLTC goes out for his next range session he sees less hooking. With more time to work with the Mashie and get used to hitting a hybrid again I think the ball flight will straighten out. Remember he dropped the hybrid out of the bag when he got the Burner 2.0's. Some adjustment might be in order. Just my .02

I think a couple of my posts got the wrong message out. By smooth tempo swing I mean in control and balanced and not trying to over due it. Yes, I said I slowed my arms down some but that's just on the take away so I can keep an in control swing. When I think smooth tempo swing I mean just a good motion and really concentrating on hitting the ball and not worrying about trying to kill it and over doing it. A smooth tempo swing doesn't mean losing Swing speed at all just in control more. I am one of the ones that was mentioned a little concerned about the weight, and that was my only concern but after hitting it, it's not a problem. I mention the weight from time to time about it being light but it's not a bad thing at all just me as a tester getting comfortable with it. Some are able to adjust within a few swings and it just took me a little longer to see good results but no doubt that I'm seeing those good results now. Sorry if I confused some people, honest mistake. Smooth tempo swing is the swing right in your comfort zone not doing less and not swinging harder out side of the zone just right in the middle and really focusing on a good swing. Just what I think of it anyways, hope that helps because I guess we all have different definitions of smooth tempo swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OEM speaks the truth. the only time I personally have seen a hook from the Mashie is whe I intentionally tried to nail it and swing out of my shoes. TC had said before that it's an anti-slice machine which I think it is too. Tempo is key for almost any club but I think it's extremely important with the Mashie no matter what shaft you're using
I had some trouble this past year with hooking the ball. It was one of the reasons why I moved away from the G15 hybrids, they hooked on me more then they went straight. That being said I dont think I ever saw a hook with the Mashie. Not at the demo day where we could only hit them on the range or at the Hanks mini outing where we got the chance to game them on the course. These were long and straight for me. Im not saying others arent seeing it just what my experience was with the Mashie when I had my chance with them.

Im willing to bet when FLTC goes out for his next range session he sees less hooking. With more time to work with the Mashie and get used to hitting a hybrid again I think the ball flight will straighten out. Remember he dropped the hybrid out of the bag when he got the Burner 2.0's. Some adjustment might be in order. Just my .02

With it being an anti-slice machine, is the face closed at address? I'm thinking along the lines of my FT-iQ.

OEM speaks the truth. the only time I personally have seen a hook from the Mashie is whe I intentionally tried to nail it and swing out of my shoes. TC had said before that it's an anti-slice machine which I think it is too. Tempo is key for almost any club but I think it's extremely important with the Mashie no matter what shaft you're using

With it being an anti-slice machine, is the face closed at address? I'm thinking along the lines of my FT-iQ.

IMG_3971.jpg

It is really not closed at address. I seems to be a normal lie.

Not that I can tell.

About to head to the course for a quick 9 with the mashie. It's really windy but hoping for a good day. Will Try to use it as much as possible.

When you guys tested the mashie at the last outing was everyone using the 59 gram shaft offering or did anyone have a go with the 83? I assume the feel/sound/booming straight shot is the same but just figured I would ask.

I personally have a wicked fast tempo (8 on the Mizuno shaft optimizer) from too many years of playing hockey. What it means is I've had to move into heavier/stiffer shafts to sort it out. Hence why I'm curious if anyone has yet had a go with the heavier shaft and if it changes and of those gorgeous characteristics (Plus a dash of envy. GT says they won't get their hands on any until mid to late march. Oh to be a sad panda...).

When you guys tested the mashie at the last outing was everyone using the 59 gram shaft offering or did anyone have a go with the 83? I assume the feel/sound/booming straight shot is the same but just figured I would ask.

I personally have a wicked fast tempo (8 on the Mizuno shaft optimizer) from too many years of playing hockey. What it means is I've had to move into heavier/stiffer shafts to sort it out. Hence why I'm curious if anyone has yet had a go with the heavier shaft and if it changes and of those gorgeous characteristics (Plus a dash of envy. GT says they won't get their hands on any until mid to late march. Oh to be a sad panda...).

Everybody used the 59 gram shaft in it.

Went out for a quick 9 today that turned into 12 holes. We have a 3 holes all right next to each other (1,2,9) so decided to play 3 more before I was done.

VERY WINDY- 15-20 mph with gusts of 25+

Used the mashie 9 times today, probably a little more than I would normally used it but figured I might as well use it as much as possible.

Hole by hole info..

1- Found myself 218 out with the 15mph wind blowing directly into my face. Decided I would just hit a normal shot instead of a low one just to see how it would work. Hit it flush then watched the wind just kill it as it went up, almost looked like it pushed it back some and straight down it went and found myself 30 yards short. So about 190 into some strong wind with a normal swing, which isnt to bad of results.

2- Tee box is even with fairway, no elevation changes. Teed off with the mashie with wind at my back, and let one rip. Hit it flush again and the ball flight was really high and it flew what seemed like 350 yards in the air, the wind just carried it for a ride. Feedback with it is just awesome, I knew I hit it good. It hit then rolled a little more probably 10-15 yards. Got to the ball, pulled out the rangefinder, turned around and bounced it off the bush next to were I hit. 257!!! All I could do was smile and say thank you wind. Simply amazing.

3- Really long par 5. 2nd shot, in the rough 265 out with wind at my back again. I knew I wasnt going to get there but tried to actually play to a number for once. Mashie lifted the ball out of the rough like I was hitting out of the fairway, really impressed on how easy it was to get the ball out and up in the air. I did push it a little to the right and hit it off the toe some but still was impressed on how easy it was to get out of the rough. Ended up being about 60 yards out which was right around the number I was trying for. So 205 out of the rough on a slight mis hit is awesome and better than anything else I could have used.

5- Teed off with the mashie again and wind was blowing right to left across the fairway and went for the low punch shot since the fairway has a down hill slope to it. Caught it nicely and hit a low missile that landed and just rolled forever, tried to get the distance but there wasnt anything beside the tee box where I could hit the rangefinder off of but I was 156 out so left me a nice 8 iron shot from the fairway.

6- Wind was blowing left to right across the fairway and tried to play my normal draw to hold it against the wind. But I pushed it right and the wind carried it farther right and into the drink it went. Not related to testing but took my drop and proceeded to hit my wedge fat 10 yards into the water again lol

8- 2nd shot, 230 out and pulled out the mashie and hit another punch shot to try and avoid the wind. It was a good one, fly very straight and got no more than 15 feet off the ground and rolled all the way to about 20 yards from the green. So about 205-210yds for a low punch shot, very good for me considering I never use it. Keep in mind I did get a lot of roll and the fairways were pretty hard today.

1- Straight wind in my face and was 200 out this time, I knew I only came up 10 yards short last time so went with the mashie again but with the low punch shot. Took my smooth tempo swing and wham... Oops off the toe it went and to the right. It was my fault I nicked the ground just before hitting the ball but I knew exactly were I hit it thanks to the feedback it gives.

2- Teed off with the mashie again and started thinking about the bomb I hit earlier. Get over amped and swung way to hard and to my my surprise it wasnt the low hook I saw the last few times I tried to swing harder, just a big swooping draw that ended up landing in the rough with no roll. But still not bad considering I over swung badly. I hit another for the heck of it, since I was the only one out there and made solid contact. Little bit lower flight than the last but still that same penetrating flight, hit bounced and rolled. Pulled out the laser... 248!

Had a really good day with the mashie, my confidence is growing a ton with it and if this keeps up no doubt it will be in the bag for good. The feel and feedback are my favorite part. I know most of you have played baseball before and its like hitting the sweet spot on the bat perfectly. When you hit one on the screws with the mashie it just feels amazing and you instantly know you hit a good one. You just get that solid feel all the way up through the shaft to your hands, and I honestly cant say I have ever had a shaft give me the feel that the Miyazaki does in the mashie.

Also I would like to add that the headcover is holding up just fine for any of you wondering, stretched out just a tiny bit from it being on the club but that is expected and I have not seen any more stretching of it, still fits like a glove on the club.

Here is some pictures of the wear, I cleaned it up some after use so you cant tell to much but seems to be able to handle everything I have thrown at it so far. Sorry for the bad picture quality, phone is all I have. Real Camera has disappeared.

Wear on the face is a little bit more than it shows but my dumb phone did not pick it up very good. The face also cleans off very easily, a little water, a rag and off the ball marks go. I have some mud stuck in the Cleveland mashie name on the bottom working on getting that out with a tee right now. It was nice to me today so it deserves a good cleaning. :D

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

Mashie Range Day 3-

The Mashie did great again today, but I struggled today. I seemed to be having a hard draw on the range today. I really had a hard time fighting this with the Mashie. With my 7 iron my draw was not to major and I only had to aim about 10 yards to the right. This was magnified with the Mashie. I really had to make sure my swing was smooth and I didn't close the face on the ball. When I did this it when straight down the range with a 5 yard draw. If I didn't put a good effort to having a good swing, I ended up hooking the ball of to the left. I still was crushing the ball down the range, but I just had to be careful with my swing. I think this is due to the light shaft. It is so easy to close your face than with a heavier shaft. I did try some fades with the Mashie today and was able to pull those off too. I really had to feel like I was opening up my face to achieve this though.

Very detailed Bridges!!! Glad to see you got some time out there with the Mashie.

I spent some quality time on the course with the Mashie this weekend. I played two rounds on two nice and difficult courses that I had never played before. To make a long story short, the Mashie is a beast.

I hit the Mashie 5 times in each round. Three times off the tee, three times from the fairway, two times from the rough and two times around the green to play bump and runs.

TEE - The Mashie performs as expected off the tee. Long and high with a soft landing (even on the hard greens that I played on this weekend). Two tee shots were on par threes that were 200+ yards and on both holes, the ball checked and stopped as I had hoped. The third tee shot was on a short par four and I used the Mashie to play for position...aimed down the right side and was able to hit a slight draw as planned.

FAIRWAY - From the fairway the Mashie shines. I have personally noticed no difference in length, trajectory or control from the fairway v. the tee. This club glides through the turf in an iron-like way more than any other hybrid that I've personally used.

ROUGH - The Mashie is a beast from the rough as well. I found myself in some tough lies this weekend and used the Mashie with success to extract myself from potentially bad situations.

SHORT GAME - The courses I played this weekend had a lot of closely mowed collection areas. I found myself in these areas a few times and on two separate occasions used the Mashie to play bump and run shots and was 1 for 2 in getting up and down in these situations. The Mashie glided across the turf and got the ball rolling quickly and on line.

I LOVE THIS CLUB!

Alright, finally catching up on about 4 missed days on this thread. First of all great work guys you are all posting very thorough write ups and that is very appreciated! You know a lot of you are talking about how you get in trouble if you try to over cook one with the Mashie, I found and reported the very same thing about the Burner 2.0 irons, it's not that you're swinging any softer or less smoothly, you're just not able to swing balls to the wall with it, which you probably shouldn't be anyway. If anyone ever finds a club that works better when you swing out of your shoes at it, please let me know, I would like to have said club!

Keep up the good work guys, I'm enjoying this thread almost as much as I enjoy my SuperLaunch Rescue....while I'm liking the pictures and will say they don't look at "fishing sinker" like as I first thought they did I'm still not ready to give the SuperLaunch to One-T and go buy a Mashie! Keep working on it though boys, you might convince me eventually!

Thank you for the great write up guys, I appreciate the reviews and I am looking forward to hitting the mashie as soon as possible. Keep up the good work.

Back