Golf Digest 2011 Hot List. What Do You Think?

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I picked up the latest issue of GD today and it featured their 2011 hot list. Since THP does a lot of club testing I was wondering what you all thought.

For example, the R11 was given the editor's choice award, but at the same time they said the driver was for better players. In addition, the Titleist 910 was the performance leader in the driver category.

There are also some other questionable choices, i.e., irons, but overall I was wondering what the THP community thought of the hot list overall.

I picked up the latest issue of GD today and it featured their 2011 hot list. Since THP does a lot of club testing I was wondering what you all thought.

For example, the R11 was given the editor's choice award, but at the same time they said the driver was for better players. In addition, the Titleist 910 was the performance leader in the driver category.

There are also some other questionable choices, i.e., irons, but overall I was wondering what the THP community thought of the hot list overall.

It seems to me that the companies that buy adds in GD always seems to get the best ratings..... and the "popularity" section is the stupidest thing. Rate the putter, not the interest........ But I still enjoy reading it! LOL! Haven't gotten the 2011 version yet.

I wil let you know what I think when I can see it for free, lol. I usually understand their picks, but some are kinda odd sometimes.

Who pays the most gets the most awards.

Well look at the driver: R11 is editor's choice, YET it is for the better player, YET it wasn't the performance leader.

Titleist does pretty well in the performance catogories usually. Hmmm....

I picked up Golf Digest as well. Given the age of social media, I definitely put more weight into sites like THP and peer reviews more than a publication, but I'll still check it out.

They mentioned the Superfast 2.0 has a loud sound. That's somewhat of a turn-off to me if it's true. But I've already stated that I'll probably be sticking with my Superfast TP.

Saw nothing of the Superfast 2.0 in the woods section or the hybrids but they did include the irons and the Rescue 11 is in the hybrid section.

As you can see, I pretty much focus on the clubs I like and see what they say about those. I'm not sure these reviews are slanted or not based on influence or relationship between Golf Digest and the companies, but I trust THP reviewers more.

I'm always interested to see what they say. But I always like to hit clubs myself and make my own decisions. What I learned at the THP Demo Day was that clubs perform, sound, look, and feel different to everyone. While I may not have been a fan of the Burner 2.0's because of the feel, others liked them.

I think it is interesting, but since finding THP I value the opinions of those on this site more than the GD people.

The Vokeys always get one award that boggles my mind. I forget which one though.

THPing on the fly. Sorry for lack of forum etiquette.

Well look at the driver: R11 is editor's choice, YET it is for the better player, YET it wasn't the performance leader.

So what? These don't directly correlate.

So what? These don't directly correlate.

Would you feel the say way if the 910 got editors choice but wasn't the performance leader, or would u be saying TM got hosed?

It seems to me that the companies that buy adds in GD always seems to get the best ratings..... and the "popularity" section is the stupidest thing. Rate the putter, not the interest........ But I still enjoy reading it! LOL! Haven't gotten the 2011 version yet.
That one is the one that always gets me too clay, what does popularity (buzz, or whatever they are calling it this year) have to do with club performance. I would rather hear from people who have tested the club. I will read the article when the GD is delivered but it would never influence my purchase of clubs.

I've found the Golf Magazine Clubtests to be more useful. GD lists out individual comments from players so all you are reading are what 2 or 3 people thought of the club. Whereas in the Golf Magazine clubtest, the collect the general consensus and summarize it up. But in the end, nothing beats the THP's Shootouts!

Nice pretty pictures in the Golf Digest mag however I think the actual THP outing where you get the hands on experience is the real deal.

Agreed OG. The outing is where you can really give these test. I was happy to see my G15's rated Gold again. KellyBo may ahve even like that too. Despite what the testers say, I believe each golfer has to try out what's best for them. The GD doe smaek for interesting reading to see the comments, but rating the demand is really a waste IMO.

well, unfortunately the digest's hot list is a huge source and influence for a ton of golfers. i use to be one of them. it is funny that the biggest spenders in the magazine are "gold'' medal winners. i still subscribe and i still read it, but now i find that i just pick it apart more than anything. it's kind of tough to use it for any sort of information once you find THP. i mean, most of the "new" stuff featured in the mag, we had a chance to hit 3 months ago at the outing.

it's my bible when picking out a new club
I'd be lost without it

I really don't care for such lists and it doesn't sway me in any direction when it comes to gear. At best, it makes me go "oh, didn't know they had a new model out".

I use the Hot List to make my OEM list for the year. ha. I find it interesting to read but thats only because Ive already hit most everything at the THP Demo day. It gives you a good perspective on things when it comes to such list and whats "hot" or "gold" when youve already hit something for yourself.

The Mashie Silver Medal didn't appear justified based on a negative of the color of the club. The performance comments were all solid so I couldn't quite understand how it didn't merit Gold.

I havent received this issue yet, but I look forward to it. I dont think it ever hurts to get another perspective

I think that the hot list is a good way to see what is coming out this year and get some feedback from low mid and high handicap players that have actually hit the clubs already. As far as the gold and silver goes that is obviously just a marketing thing for the manufacturers that advertise in the mag.

I agree that the driver shootout on THP will give people much more info about the actual clubs from a much wider rang of testers. But for someone like me who is frozen in WI and itching to play golf it is a good way to feed the need for equipment info and make me feel like the golf season is approaching faster than it actually is.

Anyone who actual buys a club based strictly on the "hot list" and not going out and hitting the clubs and comparing is a sucker...

Back