Callaway Razr X Irons - All Lines

Great little writeup! Did anyone have any comments about the distances of these clubs as compared to their current set?

Great write-up. I really enjoyed hitting the Razr X Tours at the mini outing and couldn't agree more withe analysis of the testers.

I didn't hit the Razr X because of the shafts.

It was confusing hitting the Razr X Forged. Although it was a beautiful iron, I didn't care for them and it's unforgiving misfits were a deal breaker for me.

Good read JB.

Great little writeup! Did anyone have any comments about the distances of these clubs as compared to their current set?

They really didnt seth. Not that I took notes of anyway.

Razr Tours look interesting, but none of them look nicer than my X-Forged. Callaway's missed the styling boat on their '11 lines except for the Octane.

to you. i like the x forged myself, prefer the 09 version over the 07 but the razr looks so much better in hand than it does via pics.

As promised, here is a brief write up about our weekend with these iron sets. We had 3 golfers test out the 3 sets and play 54 holes. They rotated sets every 6 holes throughout both days and wrote up some notes on what they wanted to share. Really a fun study and something we are going to continue to do with iron sets. Here are quotes from each player on each set that might help people with information.

Bill - 15 handicap. Good ball striker that loses his strokes off the tee and on the green. His iron play is strong and he currently plays Callaway X-22 irons.

Scott - 12 handicap. Very good player that should be playing to about a 6-7 without some blow up holes. He is a strong iron player and hits it a long way. Currently playing TaylorMade R9 TP.

David - 1 handicap. Strong all around player that assists us with a lot of our testing now. He is currently playing Titleist AP2.

JB - 6 handicap. Iron play is a study in question marks (hehe). Currently playing Cleveland CG16s.

Callaway Razr X
Bill - "Really solid iron. Much better feel and performance than the X-24s I tried out. Could move the ball around the course and were plenty forgiving."

Scott - "Good iron, but I struggled hitting the ball too high compared to my irons."

David - "One of the better irons in this category that Callaway has made in a while. Felt good on contact and gave out a nice crack of a sound. High ball flight could help a lot of amateur golfers achieve more distance."

JB - "Liked this one a lot. It had that 'Callaway feel' that many are used to. Solid iron that reminds me of the Diablo Edge irons but with a little more playability packed into it.".

Callaway Razr X Tour
Bill - "This is what I was expecting out of this iron. Good looking and performance to boot. I could change to these in minute, but my miss was exaggerated with these a little bit."

Scott - "My fav of the bunch. Good looks, feel, and performance and everything I look for in an iron."

David - "I feel like this is what my irons should be doing for me. Solid impact and just enough forgiveness to let me miss without feeling like I am using a shovel. Can I keep these?"

JB - "I preferred the ball flight of the regular Razrs personally, but that can be fixed with the shaft. Good feel and one thing that stuck out to me was the ability to hit every shot with them."

Callaway Razr X Forged
Bill - "It sure is pretty looking. Love the look, but man when I miss it goes nowhere. When hit well, I still think the last irons felt a little better (Razr Tour)."

Scott - "Great looking iron. I expected this mystical feel, but to me it was not there. Can hit them anywhere I want to and the low shot is something I cherish and these deliver it."

David - "Wanted to love these, but prefer the Razr Tour version instead."

JB - "I expected something different. I felt as though the feel was just not right for me. I want to love them and you can hit any shot you want with them, but they are just missing something for me (Im sure its forgiveness)."

Overall
Not a bad set in the bunch. To do this testing we put PX 6.0 steel in all 3 sets (each tester fit that profile) to make it a fair comparison in club heads. Certainly many of these factors will change for people as they experiment with the proper shaft for their game. Callaway is bringing it this year with the new sets and really a step up in their iron department in my opinion.

awesome stuff JB! i had a feeling that the razr tour would be a winner out of the lot among the testers. it's such a sweet looking iron in the flesh.

I can confirm that all three of these sets will be at the THP Demo Day

this is always good news, I cant wait to hit them. I wanna do a little comparison with the TM irons I will be receiving

JB, how would you compare the Razr X to the X24 irons? Which do you like better overall?

Interesting write-up. Seems like these are something I shouldn't ignore after all. What I did find the most interesting is you all commenting about how high the flight is with the Razr X and them having a PX 6.0 shaft in them. It's about time Callaway lowers the CG in their SGI set again.

One thing that nobody touched on in the test, but that I noticed on Callaway's site... the Razr X Tour's PW is 45*. The lofts aren't a club strong like the Razr X set, but it's a little disappointing that we can't get at least a 46* PW in a "Tour" set. That PW also has 11.5* of bounce. The 5 iron has 8.5* of bounce! It seems like sweepers may struggle a little with these? Or does Callaway measure bounce strangely?

Interesting write-up. Seems like these are something I shouldn't ignore after all. What I did find the most interesting is you all commenting about how high the flight is with the Razr X and them having a PX 6.0 shaft in them. It's about time Callaway lowers the CG in their SGI set again.

One thing that nobody touched on in the test, but that I noticed on Callaway's site... the Razr X Tour's PW is 45*. The lofts aren't a club strong like the Razr X set, but it's a little disappointing that we can't get at least a 46* PW in a "Tour" set. That PW also has 11.5* of bounce. The 5 iron has 8.5* of bounce! It seems like sweepers may struggle a little with these? Or does Callaway measure bounce strangely?

I guess this shows that not all testers really care that much about stronger or weaker lofts. We all knew about the lofts, but nobody said a word about it. With the weighting change and the ball flight being higher naturally, the stronger lofts almost seemed needed and were welcomed for more distance.

I love the looks of the regular X and the X Tour not so much on the forged but, they are not bad. If i was looking for new sticks the X and X Tour would definantly be on my radar.

Okay, why? :smile:

I was looking at the X-24s and will have to try them both, but it'd be nice to hear. Thanks!

I think both are quality sets, but I definitely preferred the feel of the Razr line. It is more in line with that classic Callaway iron feel.

I recently sold my X-24 set of irons because they just had way too much off-set for my swing. Is there a different in off-set for the Razr X versus the X-24 irons? Is uniflex going to be the stock shaft for the Razr X irons? Is there a significant difference in offset between the Razr X and Razr X Tour irons? Loved the method of review for the clubs, well done.

I recently sold my X-24 set of irons because they just had way too much off-set for my swing. Is there a different in off-set for the Razr X versus the X-24 irons? Is uniflex going to be the stock shaft for the Razr X irons? Is there a significant difference in offset between the Razr X and Razr X Tour irons? Loved the method of review for the clubs, well done.

I don't believe that the uniflex is available in the Tour and Forged version and I'm not so sure about the Razr line. There is a significant difference in offset between the X and the Tour version, at least imo. If you didn't like the 24's, you shouldn't pursue the Razr X, instead look at the tours or the forged version.

SethO, I am considering the Diablo Forged irons, would be interested to get your thoughts on the DF versus the Razr X Tour irons via: feel, distance, club head size, offset, and shaft.

Thanks

SethO, I am considering the Diablo Forged irons, would be interested to get your thoughts on the DF versus the Razr X Tour irons via: feel, distance, club head size, offset, and shaft.

Thanks

The feel is very similar, but they do differ a little. Both are very smooth, but give instant feedback on mishits. They are both fairly forgiving, but not like a more GI iron. I would consider the DF to be on the border between GI and players cavity and leaning more toward the GI side. I like the S300 shaft very much. I have S400's in my DF's and wished they were S300's. Both sets are soft, but I believe that a softer metal is used on the DF irons and to me the DF's feel a bit softer on shots hit in the sweet spot. The heads are not blades, but they aren't quite shovels either. They are just big enough to give confidence with the long irons, but not overwhelmingly large. They do have some offset, but not anything like the X22 or 24 irons. I dont notice it at address really. I am not a big fan of clubs with a large offset even though I don't really look at the club head during address. To me, the DF irons seemed a little longer, but I have only hit the Razr Tours in Florida and the ball never seems to fly as far for me in Fl no matter which set of irons I am using. To me, you can't go wrong with either set. I have much more time with the DF irons, but I was really impressed with the one round and couple range sessions I had with the Razr Tours.

This is not the greatest post in the world, this is just a tribute.

Razr X Irons

Razr X Irons

Thanks for the feedback SethO. Looking forward to hitting this Razr X irons, the golf shop indicated they should be arriving midweek.

well, I was really looking forward to hitting these this weekend, but it looks like I will have to wait.

Golfsmith in Raleigh was going to start putting the lines on the rack today. I stopped in on my way to airport and they were clearing space.

Golfsmith in Raleigh was going to start putting the lines on the rack today. I stopped in on my way to airport and they were clearing space.

I went in on Saturday and they had everything ready to hit in the hitting bays

I like the GI and the tour irons but the forged are just downright ugly to me. I don't really like the sharp edges on it or the overall look of the head.

The Callaway RazR banner that I keep seeing on this site really makes me want those clubs...I guess its working.

The Callaway RazR banner that I keep seeing on this site really makes me want those clubs...I guess its working.

Adblock plus.

:D

Back