With your help I got rid of my slice!! But now....

tdinbr

Water hazards are tough!
Reaction score
Handicap
By using the "first base" drill I have almost completely eliminated slicing with my driver and irons and for that I thank you!!

However, now my main miss has become a straight pull left. Ball flight is straight as an arrow and consistently left of target. I have been working on alignment, with feet, knees, hips and shoulders square to each other as well as target line but I still get those left pulls.

I feel as though I may still be coming over the top when this happens but I am not sure so that's why I thought I should ask the pro!!

Thanks for all your help!

now do the "third base" drill???

I know when I miss left these days, its b/c of my shoulders aren't working right. Dad always says to make sure you keep your right shoulder under your chin as you swing through, or you can come over the top of it. So I'd say the same to you, keep that right shoulder under.

I hate to say this, but the same swing path that causes a slice causes the pull. You are still a bit outside in with the swing path, but now you have a closed clubface. Keep up your work on the baseball diamond drill with extra focus on keeping the club moving out over the target tee. Keeping the club head moving down range will help prevent closing the club face too early and will help you feel a more consistent inside out path through the ball.

I hate to say this, but the same swing path that causes a slice causes the pull. You are still a bit outside in with the swing path, but now you have a closed clubface. Keep up your work on the baseball diamond drill with extra focus on keeping the club moving out over the target tee. Keeping the club head moving down range will help prevent closing the club face too early and will help you feel a more consistent inside out path through the ball.

Thanks!!
I had a suspicion that it was the same swing fault causing the pulls.
I am finally getting to the point where I can "feel" what it is I am doing wrong when I mishit the ball. Now I just need to work hard on fixing it permanently!!

Aha! Thanks amollerud. Short of going to you to take lessons, your tips have helped another person. I plan to work on your baseball drill when I can FINALLY get to the range in MUCH WARMER weather!!!!

What exactly is a "first base drill"? If anyone wouldn't mind explaining since I've had some problems with my ball going left and I want to stop the slice. Thanks

The first base drill is a secondary target drill to get you to swing inside to out through the ball. Picture a baseball diamond with you ball on home plate. Your ideal shot will go back over the pitchers head and if anything fall towards left field. To do that you need to swing out to first base or right field. To make this happen place a tee in the ground 2-3 inches in front of the ball and about an inch to the right (right handed players). Now on your down swing, swing down to the ball and out over your secondary target. This will get you on a much better swing path through the ball.

This drill comes in stages. The first 3-7 balls when you do the drill correct will be a little thin. Your timing will be off. Your next 5-10 balls once you get down to them will be hit solid, but will be pushes. Once you get to this point the ball will start to straighten out and might even work into a draw. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Andy,

I thought your comments about taking a few shots with the first base drill to really get the result correct were interesting. I certainly found that it took some time for me to get the ball going where I wanted it to when I used it several months ago. You mentioned timing as the issue. When you talk about timing in this regard are you referring to having an issue staying with the shot long enough and thus hitting it thin the first few times or more an issue of timing regarding your hip turn in relation to your shoulder turn?

Jung I am talking about both. Anytime we change where the club is coming from the body doesn't feel the control it is used to. When this happens we tend to pull the hands in to the body just a touch to regain that feel of control. It takes some swing to trust this new sensation is ok and can work. The other thing is the body being in a different position doesn't quiet no when to release the hands and the like. It takes some time to work into a grove with any major change and this is a big one.

Hi Andy, I heard you have a video on the site of this drill, is that right? I have been looking, but cant find it. Also, I assume as a lefty I would do the exact opposite right? A third base drill?

As a lefty yes you will need to flip the drill. When THP first started up we were making some videos and they can be found under the radio and tv tab. They will be labeled THP TV Volume 1-4 check them out and see what you think.

Thanks for the help Andy, I will check them out this evening.

Back