THP Dinner - 2011 Outing & Demo Day

Hey Columbus!!! He said Scottish not Irish!!

Lets keep the jokes and insults for the banter away thread guys. Suggestions only please.

Basically what you are saying is cake and pie are good. And I agree 100000000%!

Yeah, I am on my diet now, so absolutely no sweets for me for a long while. This is me dreaming.

I know, but I think Irish food would be an awesome idea. There are so many options. Fish and Chips, Bangers and Mash, Sheppards Pie. Irish food is one of my favorites.

From the timing of our posts i don't even think he was referencing my post, he was still typing his as I was posting...

I'm a huge seafood guy, but it can be a little polarizing. There are lots of people out there that won't eat it, Erica included. I love it, but coming from a foodservice background, it isn't a very popular choice for feeding a large group of people.

Agreed. With a group of people this large you're never going to please everyone and only by providing 'variety' will you hope to appease most, not all. Last outing there was something for everyone and would expect the same this time around too.
I'm a huge seafood guy, but it can be a little polarizing. There are lots of people out there that won't eat it, Erica included. I love it, but coming from a foodservice background, it isn't a very popular choice for feeding a large group of people.

I did this for a seafood function, I took a wooden canoe, filled it with ice and served seafood from it. It was VERY popular! We had other things for people who did not eat seafood. If done correctly seafood is a great buffet. Just because it is called a seafood buffet does not mean thats all there will be. Here are some pics of my seafood canoe

events_at_trillium_34_20100821_1164033191.jpg

events_at_trillium_25_20100821_1594188739.jpg

I did this for a seafood function, I took a wooden canoe, filled it with ice and served seafood from it. It was VERY popular! We had other things for people who did not eat seafood. If done correctly seafood is a great buffet. Just because it is called a seafood buffet does not mean thats all there will be. Here are some pics of my seafood canoe

That's awesome man!! Well done!!

Looks great, dude. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people that love the ocean food. Just going from my experience, it is usually picked as an option rather than the focus of larger events. Just like it was last time around. I would like a big bowl of those giant cocktail shrimp they sold in the iBar, but I think it would put JB and GG in the poor house lol.

Dude love that idea. Looks like it turned out good too.

Man - not enough caffeine this morning. Posted - pushed reply to thread and poof it was gone.

Ok - we love everything! I'd say anything that JB and GG think are outstanding options would be good. When I lived in Philly, people would say go to this Mexican restaurant, it's really good. I would try it and BLECH - not so good & not even edible. SO... really we trust JB and GG to figure out what the biggest bang for the buck and best tasting! :)

My one request? Salad! I know, sad request. I have two young kids who don't eat lettuce so we never have it, even when we eat out. We always get something we know they can eat or share. We love salad -- with nuts, beets, goat cheese, blue cheese, or even just a simple green with a delicious vinaigrette. Every time we go out, even to Olive Gardens, my husband and I eat a TON of salad (oh, and I know this won't be an entree - just a request as a side).

Thanks! :)

I love me some salad as well. I am sure there will be one. Good idea though Patty

I think CG13 should be allowed to make the menu. Have you seen what he puts in the whats for dinner thread!

LOL thats awesome - really made me feel good - but thats cooking for 4-10 at most - sometimes 15. 50 people would need an insane crew. hahah

As for my votes - we like anything - so whatever is decided im sure will be good - my restaurant does banquets for anything from 25-150 so i know planning can be a big chore. Let me know if i can help with anything - been in the business for many years. Other than that im sure it will be awesome and i cannot wait to come down and meet everyhone!

I seem to remember reading about a bruschetta bar at the last outing. I have never drank bruschetta but it sounds fancy so I might want to try that.

How about a buffet of IQ Plus bars so everyone can find the fairway the next day. :golf:

I seem to remember reading about a bruschetta bar at the last outing. I have never drank bruschetta but it sounds fancy so I might want to try that.

Man I really hope that is sarcasm.

Ha ha.

Bruschetta bar...

lmao.... I think thats funny but Im not sure haha

Man I really hope that is sarcasm.
It was a joke. Lol. Even a Hillbilly from Gatlinburg knows what bruschetta is, though they might not be able to spell it.

I did remember reading about it and it sounded really good.

Lol bruschetta bar! I'm sure it was good, but clam that was hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a picky eater (never know it by looking at me) but I will definitely work with anything that is there, I know it will be amazing and delicious just like last year. I'm a big fan of beef anything, pretty much beef, chicken, pork in that order are my favorites.

I loved last year's menu, especially that fish dish and that Opera cake ( btw, that is what that fantastic layer cake is called in pastry school. They take about two days to make). I'd be happy with last year's menu repeated.

That said, I think a regional variety would be nice: a little seafood, a little Cuban, a little mid-Florida pit BBQ (yes, they makes some pretty tasty mustard/vinegar pulled pork/beef in the backyards between Jax & Gainesville), and some down home Southern cooking would be fantastic.

My only concern with the BBQ is, if you remember last year, we used the night of the banquet as a night to show off our nice clothes and dress up. For some of us, especially some of us ladies, it was the night to wear our jangly jewelry, tease our hair, and put on heels. I also remeber a few of the guys GQing their way between the banquet room & the iBar. So, I'm not sure how clothes friendly a full blown BBQ fest would be. I know I can't properly attack a mess-o-ribs without an entire package of napkins, a bib, and a shower aftwards.

If theres BBQ I have a purple shirt picked out for the dinner.

Back