5 - 10 - 15 Challenge

Now that the holidays and crazy weather have subsided a bit, time to get back outside for some workouts. And glad to say, although I ate well over the holidays, I didn't gain the normal Christmas/New Year's poundage.

Trust me, that's a big accomplishment. I think I read that the average person gains about 5 pounds during the holidays. I lost 3 in December so I say that was really like losing 8 since I didn't gain the 5. :D

Trust me, that's a big accomplishment. I think I read that the average person gains about 5 pounds during the holidays. I lost 3 in December so I say that was really like losing 8 since I didn't gain the 5. :D

Yes! I lost another 5 lbs then too! Haha

3/3 this week! Today was another good one. Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've lost 6 lbs so far. I have been walking 3 miles/day, doing some light weight lifting, and I have totally changed my diet. I am consuing 1600-1800 net calories/day with a ratio of about 55% carbs, 30% protien, and 15% fat. I hurt my foot yesterday and had to skip the walking. I think I'll be ready to get back at it by Friday. The Livestrong website is helping a lot!

Yoccos and Oregon Golfer - you guys rock! I have a feeling a lot of people are going to get really serious now that the holidays are gone. So exciting! We're off to the gym ourselves!

Go get em KB!! Tell Gray whats up!!!

Yoccos and Oregon Golfer - you guys rock! I have a feeling a lot of people are going to get really serious now that the holidays are gone. So exciting! We're off to the gym ourselves!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't participated in this thread yet, but I've been hitting the gym 2-4 days/week since the start of December. I really can't play golf up here until the end of March, so I'm doing a 4-month workout plan right now. Anyways, I was just sitting around and not really feeling going to the gym today, then this landed in my mailbox:

6a00d8341caaef53ef0147e13de819970b-800wi

Yeah, that image got me off my butt and into the gym. I'm pretty sure I'll never look like that, but hopefully I can drop 5 pounds and add 10 yards when the next golf season starts up.

So, I'm really late to this but I've been reading this thread avidly since it was posted. You all are so amazing! Mary, your determination is truly inspiring...too too cool. As I said I know I'm late, but, here goes anyhow.

I'm three days into Atkins and I really do love it so far. Having a mother in law that has and continues to do it really helped me decide to go this way. I lost 35lbs on weight watchers two years ago but the stresses of football coaching and the hours over two years helped me balloon back to 230, and even though I'm 6'2 it was NOT a good 230. Anyways my MIL got them the new Atkins book and being a science teacher it all made sense to me (was a BIG critic of it in the past), it just clicks with me. My personal goal is 40lbs by July, that's a nice steady pace and I can do it, I know it.

Well, I'm three days into induction (2 weeks) and all is going well, my weigh day is in 4 more days so I'll post up when it happens! You are all amazing!

JMAN really hope its the ticket for ya!!! Haven't they modified it some since its original introduction?

JMAN really hope its the ticket for ya!!! Haven't they modified it some since its original introduction?

Thanks Yoccos!

Yeah, a TON from what I've read. I always though it was a "no carb" thing, but, its not, its carbs from the right places like veggies and meat is open game in it. Its really opened my mind.

And hey, as an Oklahoma biy I was sold when you tell me I can have scrambled eggs and bacon every morning LOL.

Lol. I may have to look into this... Love me some bacon and eggs!!! haha.

I thought it was a no carb thing too. I had some friends a few years back (5 or so) at work that did it. They got a dozen or so chicken wings for lunch each day. I really wanted to try it then haha.

Thanks Yoccos!

Yeah, a TON from what I've read. I always though it was a "no carb" thing, but, its not, its carbs from the right places like veggies and meat is open game in it. Its really opened my mind.

And hey, as an Oklahoma biy I was sold when you tell me I can have scrambled eggs and bacon every morning LOL.

So glad you're joining us Jman! It's nice to have another low-carber here with me. I'm on day 4 (I think) of low carb and it's working nicely. I haven't read the new Atkins diet and don't consider myself on Atkins really. I'm doing sort of a modified South Beach from what I remember a couple years ago when i was on it. I'm also eating turkey sausage and/or bacon, reduced fat cheese, and eggs for breakfast every day but I'm getting sick of it to be honest. I'm a cereal person myself. I've been cooking lots of meats and veggies this week and eating well. No breads or cereals in this first week but I'm going to slowly work those good carbs back in.

My guide using the SBD is lean proteins, lots of vegetables, whole grain cereals and breads, fruits, and healthier fats like olive oils, nuts, etc. The last time I was on this diet my triglycerides went from 459 to 100 and my cholesterol went from 249 to 185 in 6 months! I wish I didn't like all those bad things like chips, cookies, candy, cake and ice cream! They are my downfall for sure.

Gray and I were laughing when we were leaving the gym tonight. When we were members at another gym across town (3 miles instead of 1) we would always pass Dairy Queen on the way home. Unfortunately we would often stop for a "reward" defeating the entire purpose of working out. Now we don't have to pass it anymore and we're being good!

So, I'm really late to this but I've been reading this thread avidly since it was posted. You all are so amazing! Mary, your determination is truly inspiring...too too cool. As I said I know I'm late, but, here goes anyhow.

I'm three days into Atkins and I really do love it so far. Having a mother in law that has and continues to do it really helped me decide to go this way. I lost 35lbs on weight watchers two years ago but the stresses of football coaching and the hours over two years helped me balloon back to 230, and even though I'm 6'2 it was NOT a good 230. Anyways my MIL got them the new Atkins book and being a science teacher it all made sense to me (was a BIG critic of it in the past), it just clicks with me. My personal goal is 40lbs by July, that's a nice steady pace and I can do it, I know it.

Well, I'm three days into induction (2 weeks) and all is going well, my weigh day is in 4 more days so I'll post up when it happens! You are all amazing!

I haven't participated in this thread yet, but I've been hitting the gym 2-4 days/week since the start of December. I really can't play golf up here until the end of March, so I'm doing a 4-month workout plan right now. Anyways, I was just sitting around and not really feeling going to the gym today, then this landed in my mailbox:

Yeah, that image got me off my butt and into the gym. I'm pretty sure I'll never look like that, but hopefully I can drop 5 pounds and add 10 yards when the next golf season starts up.

Glad to have both of you guys on the team! Better health is just a few months away for all of us and the encouragement we give each other will get the job done. I think it takes courage to admit you have a health/weight problem and deal with it head on. You guys/gals are taking this seriously and working your butts off to make a life change and not just a quick spin around the block, to see a few lbs of weight loss. Stick with it and add 10, 20, or who knows how many years to your life span. I am 60 and I am pushing hard to move the clock back at least 20 years :golf2::thumb:

Last edited:
So I bought this gum from Extra called Dessert Delights. The one I got is mint chocolate chip and while it obviously cannot substitute for a bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream is sure does the trick of tasting like it. It tastes much better than I thought and it really helps when you get a sweet craving. I haven't tried the other flavors yet but so far I am impressed with this one. Below is a picture.

extra-dessert-delights-gum.jpg

The gum looks great GolferGal! Thanks for sharing the tip.

I was looking at a lady on a weight loss site today and thought I would share her before/after pic she posted. It's amazing!

DSCF0207-1.jpg

The gum looks great GolferGal! Thanks for sharing the tip.

I was looking at a lady on a weight loss site today and thought I would share her before/after pic she posted. It's amazing!

DSCF0207-1.jpg

Wow! Any details on how she did it?

I want to find a copy of this magazine badly.

Wow! Any details on how she did it?

She said it took her 2 years because she went through a couple slumps but she did the South Beach Diet, exercise, and kept a food journal. Looks like she joined Fatsecret.com in May 2010 and has gone from 163 to 133 since then. She regularly writes in a journal and corresponds with others. It's like this thread...lots of support. It really makes a huge difference!

The scale is rewarding me this morning!!!! Already down 2.2 pounds in 4 days! 3 more days until weekly weigh in. I have now passed the 5 lb mark since this thread started. Woohoo!

Fantastic Kelly!! Way to work the program

I want to find a copy of this magazine badly.

If you're willing to wait a few days, I could put it in the mail to you. Just PM me if you're interested. You should also be able to find some of the articles online at golf.com pretty soon.

Well today was day 4 of P90X, which brought on the dreaded Yoga.....frick that sucks man! I tell you what though, if I can just take Tony Horton's advice and free my mind of what I'm doing and just focus on the movements, the stretches, and the poses it really makes you feel great when it's finished. I was starting to get a little tight from the weights and push ups and pull ups of the first few days but today I felt really good. Tomorrow is legs and back then Saturday is my favorite one, Kenpo- lots of kicking and punching and yelling HI-YA! Really fun!

I have P90X here. When you come for the PGA Show can I watch you do Kenpo and say HI-YA?

Well today was day 4 of P90X, which brought on the dreaded Yoga.....frick that sucks man! I tell you what though, if I can just take Tony Horton's advice and free my mind of what I'm doing and just focus on the movements, the stretches, and the poses it really makes you feel great when it's finished. I was starting to get a little tight from the weights and push ups and pull ups of the first few days but today I felt really good. Tomorrow is legs and back then Saturday is my favorite one, Kenpo- lots of kicking and punching and yelling HI-YA! Really fun!

Wow dude! Sounds like you are training for the next Heavy Weight Title :starwars:... I am proud of ya and keep up the good work there big guy. It is always inspiring when you hear folks on here coming back with these great reports. Great job :thumb:

Nice P4B, I have P90X but haven't started it yet. Glad to hear you are doing it and I have only heard great things about it. I have stayed away from this thread for a while as xmas time and eggnog were killing any gains I was making before the holidays. Update for me I guess, I have lost about 5 pounds and feel really good about it and don't really have that much more to lose but am just trying to get in better shape. The biggest gain for me has been in the smoking department, which has gone from about a pack a day to 5 right now. Starting next week they are gone for good and can't be happier they are going to out of my life...again.

She said it took her 2 years because she went through a couple slumps but she did the South Beach Diet, exercise, and kept a food journal. Looks like she joined Fatsecret.com in May 2010 and has gone from 163 to 133 since then. She regularly writes in a journal and corresponds with others. It's like this thread...lots of support. It really makes a huge difference!

My wife is using FatSecret, its pretty dang cool and she loves it for her. I myself am using the Fitday PC program to track but the Fitday.com is a NICE tracker too.

KellyBo said:
So glad you're joining us Jman! It's nice to have another low-carber here with me. I'm on day 4 (I think) of low carb and it's working nicely. I haven't read the new Atkins diet and don't consider myself on Atkins really. I'm doing sort of a modified South Beach from what I remember a couple years ago when i was on it. I'm also eating turkey sausage and/or bacon, reduced fat cheese, and eggs for breakfast every day but I'm getting sick of it to be honest. I'm a cereal person myself. I've been cooking lots of meats and veggies this week and eating well. No breads or cereals in this first week but I'm going to slowly work those good carbs back in.

My guide using the SBD is lean proteins, lots of vegetables, whole grain cereals and breads, fruits, and healthier fats like olive oils, nuts, etc. The last time I was on this diet my triglycerides went from 459 to 100 and my cholesterol went from 249 to 185 in 6 months! I wish I didn't like all those bad things like chips, cookies, candy, cake and ice cream! They are my downfall for sure.

Thanks Kelly I really appreciate it. I'm really loving the low carb a LOT more than I thought I would. The two weeks of induction allow only 20 carbs a day (12-15 from veggies) but that will go up as I move through the phases. One thing I've noticed is that in only 4 days my sense of smell and taste is WAY stronger now without the sugars and processed foods, its pretty dang cool lol.

Your tri's and cholesterol drops the last time you went on SB are truly awesome Kelly, I mean that is a truly HUGE deal!

Ole Gray said:
Glad to have both of you guys on the team! Better health is just a few months away for all of us and the encouragement we give each other will get the job done. I think it takes courage to admit you have a health/weight problem and deal with it head on. You guys/gals are taking this seriously and working your butts off to make a life change and not just a quick spin around the block, to see a few lbs of weight loss. Stick with it and add 10, 20, or who knows how many years to your life span. I am 60 and I am pushing hard to move the clock back at least 20 years

Thanks Gray! That was awesomely well put!

Back