Leaving the Driver in the Bag

SethO

IXOYE
Reaction score
I was playing a casual round with my dad the other day and he commented, "You don't use your driver very much do you?" I laughed and explained to him that a 3 iron got me close enough to use a wedge into the green and that helped me avoid potential trouble on a hole with a lot of woods on either side of the fairway.

at my home course, I typically use my driver 3 times on the front and 4-5 times on the back. Are you guys the same way? I have to give credit to TC for helping me with this.

you know my thoughts on this topic, lol

Do you play to 150 to do this or another number?

Depends on the course to a large degree. Currently, I have more confidence in my driver than my 3W, so I will use it if I can. Many times, I have to use it do to my lack of distance. I need every yard I can get on longer courses.

Depends on the course, luckily my home course is wide open. I usually grip and rip on most holes.

I'm starting to use other clubs off the tee. A lot. My dad was saying the same to me. When I know I can get enough distance to put me in a comfortable club to the green without a driver, why not? Especially since my driver is in driver limbo. Waiting to be replaced. Not fit to me and I didn't do a good job after I gave my uncle the Dymo2 lol. I'm more accurate with a 3w or my new friend, Mashie.

I feel like I'm playing golf better now. More thinking behind each shot.

I try to resist the urge to let the big dog eat as much as I can. If I am hitting well that day, I will use it more, but those days are few and far between. I did change my grip a bit and that is helping with consistencyso when the weather gets better I can see if that changes. When I dont use the driver lately, I have been going with a FW or Hybrid. I cant hit a 3 or 4 iron worth anythng. In fact, I could probably putt farther that I hit either of them.

I'm playing this way right now. I know I'm going to take strokes because my drive distance still isn't what I want it to be but I have better control of my 3W than my driver (still working on my swing change of a changing body/shape and fixing some bad habits). I'm also noticing this approach is making work on my mid irons on the course (a huge weakness of my game). I'm using it as a way to work on my game during the down season.

all depends on the course or tee shot needed. and how well I'm hitting certain clubs that day too

The hole has to be pretty narrow or have a fairly sharp dog leg for me to not pull the driver on 250+. I don't slice too many off into the wild blue yonder anymore, which probably makes me pull it out more than I should.

you know my thoughts on this topic, lol

I certainly do, you are the one who taught me to play this way and my course management instantly became much improved.

Do you play to 150 to do this or another number?

I like to play to a little inside that number personally. I try to go for 130 and under that way I have a light PW or GW into the green.

Recently my driver has become my best friend. From the ladies tees I can generally out drive the guys from the guys tees. It's the only place that I have any distance on the course so I take it when I can. I have become fairly accurate off the tee so it helps me get into a good position. My weakness is still my short game. Generally my drive and then second shot are good but everything after that is scary. So, for me, I try to use my driver as much as possible. It's one of the only clubs I can consistently count on.

I know I should use my driver less, but for the most part, I need the extra distance to get the ball out there so I can actually have a chance at getting to the green. I hope with a bit of work, my ball striking will improve so I can be more accurate, off the tee and on approach.

If the hole is 400 yards or more par 4 I will pull my driver in most cases unless there is a lot of trouble left (lefty with a fade) but on most par 5's and par 4's under 400 I pull three wood or hybrid every time.

Depends on the course to a large degree. Currently, I have more confidence in my driver than my 3W, so I will use it if I can. Many times, I have to use it do to my lack of distance. I need every yard I can get on longer courses.

Same here. I'm pretty good right now with the driver. I'm 49 and need the extra distance to keep up with the younger guys I play with. I will use the 3 wood when needed off the tee now and then but not often. Depends on the course.

I certainly do, you are the one who taught me to play this way and my COURSE MGMT instantly became much improved.

I like to play to a little inside that number personally. I try to go for 130 and under that way I have a light PW or GW into the green.

fify buddy.

I'll be leaving the driver in the bag for a lot of the coming season.

Found a new level of consistency with my 3w this season. I'm big enough with it to leave me a short iron to almost every green on my course too, so I'll only need the driver twice....until I get stupid halfway round and deciding I've got a score on so I should start ripping everything!

I'll be leaving the driver in the bag for a lot of the coming season.

Found a new level of consistency with my 3w this season. I'm big enough with it to leave me a short iron to almost every green on my course too, so I'll only need the driver twice....until I get stupid halfway round and deciding I've got a score on so I should start ripping everything!

i like to call that, "westwood'ing"

I thought that was falling apart on Sunday or eating an apple with just one tooth.

I thought that was falling apart on Sunday or eating an apple with just one tooth.

Or wearing white pants eight days a week.

not any more buddy, that's "tiger'ing"

The club I'm a member at has two courses. One sets up pretty wide open and I use my driver there on many of the holes. The other has tighter fairways and I don't use my driver there as much. However, several weeks ago I was hitting a Callaway FT Tour driver and I never could control it. It sets up with a slightly open face and it just wasn't working for me. I have since switched to a TaylorMade Tour Burner which sets up slightly closed and I have gotten WAY more consistent with the driver. I'm putting it down the middle a lot more. That has caused me to pull it out on more holes and try to get to more par 5s in two and get a little closer on the par 4s giving me a wedge into the green. So I guess it all depends on how you are hitting it and whether or not it actually gives you an advantage to use it.

I do it with a little more style and flair, and a little less consistency. Can be spectacular to watch.

Back