White Drivers Good for the Game

so you wouldn't be opposed to trying the R11 or the Superfast 2.0? and if you did, and one of them just blew you away, you wouldn't have a problem putting it in the bag? (i'm must genuinely curious here)

If I was actually shopping for clubs I would certainly be willing to try them, but they would have to be something pretty exceptional for me to get past the color. I think they are missing out on a big piece of the market by only offering it in one color. That is like back in the days of the Model T... you could get in black or black. Once the competition caught up Ford had to come up with the Model A and offer more color options. I just think that TM is missing a bet.

If I was actually shopping for clubs I would certainly be willing to try them, but they would have to be something pretty exceptional for me to get past the color.

fair enough, and honestly, the numbers would have to beat out what i have as well.

I wouldnt. It was the natural evolution based on the success of the Ghost putter. Take the R11 for example. The completely alter the adjustability. They change the weighting. What more does someone want in changes from year to year?

Isn't that first bit basically a concession to that though? Based on the success of the Ghost putter, they know it'll sell in white.

I think going white could be seen as a gamble. It might put more off than it draws in. I applaud them for going with it, in fact. I can also clearly see the distinction in the new tech, but one argument that I've heard time and again about TM from thosse not as well informed about the tech is....they release too much stuff, and it's confusing.
Making one driver black, and one white. If you get confused by that, you shouldn't be allowed to swing a club about!

So those that are put off by the color do you also get hung up on the top line of your irons being too thick and just cant stand looking at it? And Im not being condescending just wondering.

Isn't that first bit basically a concession to that though? Based on the success of the Ghost putter, they know it'll sell in white.

I think going white could be seen as a gamble. It might put more off than it draws in. I applaud them for going with it, in fact. I can also clearly see the distinction in the new tech, but one argument that I've heard time and again about TM from thosse not as well informed about the tech is....they release too much stuff, and it's confusing.
Making one driver black, and one white. If you get confused by that, you shouldn't be allowed to swing a club about!

It is there to show one thing and one thing only in my mind. Just how many of them are being used on tour. Lets face it, it was hard to tell if someone had a SuperTri or a Ping G15 Or a 909D2 swinging at an event. No questions anymore. This to me is no different than a larger logo. But I applaud them for adding tech changes and making them fairly major. Because like I said, how many companies are NOT doing that with each release. As for the number of releases, I hate their release cycle, and I would rather they release more standard, but over the last 5 years, Ping & Cobra have released almost as many drivers, they just do it more traditionally. Nobody complains about Adams releasing new clubs every month or Mizuno and their 8 sets of irons last year.

I'm not put off by the white colour of the driver, but I do side with Paulo in thinking that the white is still an extra gimmick to sell more clubs. I would be very suprised if in a short time TM doesn't launch a black R11. They're cashing in on the success of the Ghost right now and using it in their driver to sell more. The R11 has been in the pipeline for quite a while and probably wasn't supposed to be white to begin with.

It is there to show one thing and one thing only in my mind. Just how many of them are being used on tour. Lets face it, it was hard to tell if someone had a SuperTri or a Ping G15 Or a 909D2 swinging at an event. No questions anymore.

Can't argue that point at all. Similar to their policy of repainting branded shafts for their staffers too. Differenciates their products and makes them instantly recognisable, meaning more sales potential!
It's a shame that the tech sometimes needs to take a back seat to this, given the amount of r&d involved, but I guess one feeds the other.

Edit to say: I'm not suggesting that the white finish is there just to shift units. I believe there might be more to it, but it's hard to say without trying the club.

Man you guys fire it up early ... & TC do you always get up the THP in the early AM?

For the white drivers, I agree it's part gimmick, part advertising, part innovation. Maybe people will love the white look. You'd be surprised how many requests we get for the white ZL driver, for people who have not hit it (or even seen it in person). Part of that is exclusivity, part of that is that they want the newest, latest and greatest, with some love of Cobra mixed in (though not too much!). Looks do make a difference to many golfers - it goes back to what inspires confidence to some degree. I don't think we should be judgmental for what will make one person hit it better. As for those who buy b/c it's cool (or makes them feel good), that can be good for their game too. I know when I look better and feel better (part of that is comfort), I tend to play better.

I love JB's point that it will differentiate the players from the others on the field when they carry white. Should be interesting to see what happens if other companies join suit and the field is filled with white drivers. For now and this season, it will definitely send a strong message if/when you see a field of white drivers on TV and a field of winning white drivers. I'm eager to see if the white drivers will fly off the shelves or flop.

Oh, & you don't need to win to sell products. Look at Natalie Gulbis or Anna Kournikova or Michelle Wie. You just need really good marketing and someone to "sell" you. Winning does help. Although... hm.. maybe it makes a difference b/c these are all women and goes back to the fact that women need to be pretty to sell, but maybe not for men? Annika certainly never sold like MW. Just a thought...

i have a two year old patty, i'm always up early. i love THP early in the morning.

We are the early crew. That's why we usually disappear at 8pm lol.

I wonder with the white drivers coming out, if other players like Rickie Fowler would have other color drivers. I could see him with an orange driver to match his clothing.

I wonder with the white drivers coming out, if other players like Rickie Fowler would have other color drivers. I could see him with an orange driver to match his clothing.

That would rock!

You are comparing a once in a lifetime player to every other golfer. In his rookie year Phil was not that recognizable. TW coming in had already done accomplishments that had never been achieved before. Been on late night talk shows, etc...

You keep comparing his visibility to every other guy and it really has no basis for this debate in my opinion. What does TW being recognizable for being either a scum bag or the worlds best golfer have to do with this topic? Sure he is more recognizable, again so is Osama Bin Laden.

I think that the color of the R11 is less important that the technology in the club head. White drivetrs are good for the game, and publicity I'd good publicity. Style should be important to the manufacturers and clothing companies. To each tour golfer, style should be second to winning in order of importance.

That being said, the white is growing on me, I am looking forward to hitting this stick.

I think that the color of the R11 is less important that the technology in the club head. White drivetrs are good for the game, and publicity I'd good publicity. Style should be important to the manufacturers and clothing companies. To each tour golfer, style should be second to winning in order of importance.

That being said, the white is growing on me, I am looking forward to hitting this stick.

Where did someone say it wasnt? But you keep referring to the visibility of TW compared to that of IJP and its just not a fair comparison. Nor does winning automatically sell merchandise as I have pointed out. And surely a person can have both style and success.

===== QUOTE blugold ====

===== /QUOTE ====

Where did someone say it wasnt? But you keep referring to the visibility of TW compared to that of IJP and its just not a fair comparison. Nor does winning automatically sell merchandise as I have pointed out. And surely a person can have both style and success.

I was trying to move on topic. Winning doesn't sell merch, but Tiger does sell ad time. Tiger and Phil make people tune into the PGA more than IJP or Rickie. Once those guys start winning tournaments and majors, people will stop changing the channel when they are playing on Sundays.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

great post Patty. rep added
Man you guys fire it up early ... & TC do you always get up the THP in the early AM?

For the white drivers, I agree it's part gimmick, part advertising, part innovation. Maybe people will love the white look. You'd be surprised how many requests we get for the white ZL driver, for people who have not hit it (or even seen it in person). Part of that is exclusivity, part of that is that they want the newest, latest and greatest, with some love of Cobra mixed in (though not too much!). Looks do make a difference to many golfers - it goes back to what inspires confidence to some degree. I don't think we should be judgmental for what will make one person hit it better. As for those who buy b/c it's cool (or makes them feel good), that can be good for their game too. I know when I look better and feel better (part of that is comfort), I tend to play better.

I love JB's point that it will differentiate the players from the others on the field when they carry white. Should be interesting to see what happens if other companies join suit and the field is filled with white drivers. For now and this season, it will definitely send a strong message if/when you see a field of white drivers on TV and a field of winning white drivers. I'm eager to see if the white drivers will fly off the shelves or flop.

Oh, & you don't need to win to sell products. Look at Natalie Gulbis or Anna Kournikova or Michelle Wie. You just need really good marketing and someone to "sell" you. Winning does help. Although... hm.. maybe it makes a difference b/c these are all women and goes back to the fact that women need to be pretty to sell, but maybe not for men? Annika certainly never sold like MW. Just a thought...

I was trying to move on topic. Winning doesn't sell merch, but Tiger does sell ad time. Tiger and Phil make people tune into the PGA more than IJP or Rickie. Once those guys start winning tournaments and majors, people will stop changing the channel when they are playing on Sundays.

And again, I ask what does that have to do with a white driver being good for the game or not? Or style being part of the game? I am so confused by this. Not as confused as your rule thoughts in college football, but confused nonetheless.

===== QUOTE blugold ====

Posted from my BlackBerry using http://www.BerryBlab.com

===== /QUOTE ====

And again, I ask what does that have to do with a white driver being good for the game or not? Or style being part of the game? I am so confused by this. Not as confused as your rule thoughts in college football, but confused nonetheless.

I was wrong about the college football rule. As a married man I admit I'm wrong a lot. So I have no problem doing it.

Style is a huge part of the game for tour pros and everybody else. Winning should be more important than style to the tour pros though. Just my thought.

The white drivers are very good for golf. Something new that makes a splash and gets attention in stores is a very good thing.

I was wrong about the college football rule. As a married man I admit I'm wrong a lot. So I have no problem doing it.

Style is a huge part of the game for tour pros and everybody else. Winning should be more important than style to the tour pros though. Just my thought.

The white drivers are very good for golf. Something new that makes a splash and gets attention in stores is a very good thing.

I still have to ask, why do they have to be one or the other? And what does that have to do with the topic? Im so confused, I have never heard of a pro saying winning is not the most important thing. I have to admit, I have gone back and read every post in this thread and am just baffled by your thoughts in this one. Help me understand what you are trying to say. Is it that white is merely a style and should not be played. Or that style should not matter if you win? (umm hello red shirt sunday). Im just lost here, help me.

My point is that a tour pro should focus on winning more than his style. If what he is wearing is a bigger concern than his game, he is going to unsuccessful. The white driver is not a fad or a problem. I like IJP and RF as golfers. I just don't want to see them become style over substance.

White drivers are not bad for the game, style is not bad for golf. Having tour pros focus on the color of their trousers more than their swing, is bad for golf. Not saying that is the case for IJP and RF. Just a concern.

My point is that a tour pro should focus on winning more than his style. If what he is wearing is a bigger concern than his game, he is going to unsuccessful. The white driver is not a fad or a problem. I like IJP and RF as golfers. I just don't want to see them become style over substance.

White drivers are not bad for the game, style is not bad for golf. Having tour pros focus on the color of their trousers more than their swing, is bad for golf. Not saying that is the case for IJP and RF. Just a concern.

And I still go back and have to ask what that has to do with this topic? Im so confused.

Which pros are out there worrying more about what they wear than how they play?

I feel some players that have ownership/$$$ in clothing companies make it more obvious but they are only trying to sell their brand. Which I don't find anything wrong with that. You have ones sponsored by clothing companies and they are doing the same thing but maybe not... hey look at me.. see look what I'm wearing... you need to buy this!!! I don't mean logo everything like Nascar but they know how to show their sponsors very well when shown on TV.

Back