MSB256

Reaction score
Handicap
Could you guys play with a battery pack attached to the back of your belt? I would love to be miced up and think it'd be interesting to hear what guys and their caddies talk about. But they need a wireless device IMO.

Cant they just use super sensitive audio equipment like they do for NFL players?

if I was as good as these guys...yes. but I am not so it may tend to bother me having a micropphone on

ummm, just mic the caddy. Problem solved. Can't believe the announcers on GC didn't think of that :D

ummm, just mic the caddy. Problem solved. Can't believe the announcers on GC didn't think of that :D

I was going to say the same exact thing.

how do you mice up a player? hehe

The PGATour did this last year during the Nationwide Albertson's Boise Open.

Bleacher Report - Did The Announcer Lite Experiment Work
Hunter Haas was actually wearing a microphone pack on the course today, and consequently we were able to hear every comment, joke, and self-admonition that came out of his mouth. His sarcastic “Sweet!” after tapping in for a birdie was pretty funny. This was the first time that any player on the PGA or Nationwide tours was mic’d during an event.

Hunter Haas Is Live Mic'ed During Tournament

Stand on any tee box on any given Saturday afternoon and you're going to hear a few choice words from golfers as they watch drives go astray.

But you didn't hear any choice words out of Hunter Haas at the Albertsons Boise Open on Saturday. He knew a lot of people were listening.

Haas agreed to wear a microphone as part of a special broadcast for The Golf Channel that tried to take the emphasis away from the network's announcers and put the focus on the players.

"You're aware that everything you're saying is being heard and could possibly end up on the air," said Haas, who finished the third round at 14-under-par in a tie for third place.

Did he have to bite his tongue a lot?

"No, not really," Haas said. "I've changed my tune and I don't use foul language like I might have in the past."

A few other golfers were approached to wear a microphone, but only Haas took The Golf Channel up on its offer. He said it was a good opportunity to get out of his comfort zone.

"I did it to challenge myself," Haas said. "I thought it would maybe put a little more pressure on myself."

The other players on the Nationwide Tour probably weren't surprised by Haas' willingness to go above and beyond. He'll be doing just that again Tuesday, when he hosts a barbecue for every player, and their caddies and families.

Weiunderpar.com Announcer Lite Review

Could you guys play with a battery pack attached to the back of your belt? I would love to be miced up and think it'd be interesting to hear what guys and their caddies talk about. But they need a wireless device IMO.

That is a wireless mic and without that pack they don't work (it's the transmitter). You should see the old one's we used to strap onto guitars & tape into the crotch of the lead singers in the late 80's...

That is a wireless mic and without that pack they don't work (it's the transmitter). You should see the old one's we used to strap onto guitars & tape into the crotch of the lead singers in the late 80's...

Mary, please tell me you were not a crotch taper, haha

Cant they just use super sensitive audio equipment like they do for NFL players?

The parabolic mics work at football games and other sporting events because they are limited field of play and they use 6-8 stationary locations with a support to hold up the reflector, which weigh about 15lbs. At a golf tournament there isn't a limited field of play. They do use a form of the parabolic mic at golf tournaments. If you see the person with the mic covered with the shaggy wind screen, that is a shotgun mic. It picks up sound up to 125' away depending on pattern & wind conditions. They also weigh about 5-7' versus the 15-22lbs the parabolic mics do (reflector + mic)

Mary, please tell me you were not a crotch taper, haha

I'm going to take the fifth on that but I'll tell you this much that was a pair of tube socks in Paul Stanley's tights ;-)

I'm going to take the fifth on that but I'll tell you this much that was a pair of tube socks in Paul Stanley's tights ;-)

:rofl: but he was happy to see you!

I think this is both a good and bad idea. i guess being selective on who wears the mic would be crucial, because almost every player i have ever followed (i have been to about 7 or 8 tour events) lets out the occasional french that we sometimes get to hear tiger yell on espn highlights. not that all players throw language around all day, but at least a few definitely do, and it isn't "oopsy, i missed the fairway" if you know what i mean. i would love to know what goes on between caddies and players. if we could have heard what phil was saying to bones in the pine straw at augusta, or what bubba thought of his shot into the creek on 18 at whistling straits, that would be awesome. those are the benefits, but i feel like unfortunately the negatives outweigh the positives in this one. and even though the mic wouldn't bother me physically, it would throw me out of rythm having to watch what i say as i spray one OB

lol I was wondering the same thing

Ok OEM and TC, ya jerks! Haha. That was a confusing word to attempt to spell! :confused2:

How would you have spelled it? I looked it up and apparently the common spelling is mic'd. However, I was taught an apostrophe showed possession. But then it couldn't be Miked right because Mike is a person. Actually, I'm a Mike. Haha. And mice are rodents so you can't mice someone. But you can mic someone.

I blame this one on the english language!

The guys and gals on Big Break wear the packs, and they seem to do okay. I think as a professional it wouldn't bother them, but what do I know; I am just a lowly amateur. The other thought is the tv guys seem to do a pretty decent job at capturing the audio between the pro and the caddie. Oh, and get those announcers to shut up long enough to allow us to listen. Most of the crap they talk about is useless.

Mods, I do believe the accepted spelling is "Mic'd up" if you would change the title please. The golf channel will certainly not be attaching any mice to the golfers.

Looks like first round leader Jonathan Byrd will be mic'd up during the second round.

I would guess it would be like carrying around a SkyCaddie or other such device attached to your belt. When I used SkyCaddie I always attached it to my belt when I walked and it really never bothered me. As far as the conversation part goes, I would imagine the self conscientiousness that goes with your every word potentially being broadcast to the world would be somewhat distracting. I don't think if I were a pro golfer I would want anything that might be a potential distraction added to me.

I think this is both a good and bad idea. i guess being selective on who wears the mic would be crucial, because almost every player i have ever followed (i have been to about 7 or 8 tour events) lets out the occasional french that we sometimes get to hear tiger yell on espn highlights. not that all players throw language around all day, but at least a few definitely do, and it isn't "oopsy, i missed the fairway" if you know what i mean. i would love to know what goes on between caddies and players. if we could have heard what phil was saying to bones in the pine straw at augusta, or what bubba thought of his shot into the creek on 18 at whistling straits, that would be awesome. those are the benefits, but i feel like unfortunately the negatives outweigh the positives in this one. and even though the mic wouldn't bother me physically, it would throw me out of rythm having to watch what i say as i spray one OB

Even though they are "live mic'd", the station still incorporates tape delay. The have to do that to keep the FCC of their back. If stations didn't tape delay mic'd up athletes/celebrities, they'd go bankrupt trying to pay the FCC fines.

Thank you Janet Jackson.

Looks like first round leader Jonathan Byrd will be mic'd up during the second round.

Ok OEM and TC, ya jerks! Haha. That was a confusing word to attempt to spell! :confused2:

How would you have spelled it? I looked it up and apparently the common spelling is mic'd. However, I was taught an apostrophe showed possession. But then it couldn't be Miked right because Mike is a person. Actually, I'm a Mike. Haha. And mice are rodents so you can't mice someone. But you can mic someone.

I blame this one on the english language!

Ironically, the story on pgatour.com has the story titled "Byrd to be miked during second round". Cracks me up.

Should be interesting to hear what goes on though. Definitely a step forward for golf in my opinion.

I could probably play with one on, but whether or not I'd be ALLOWED to wear one is another story... heh
I've been known to re-name my ball a few times during a single hole if it decides to fly the opposite direction :at-wits-end:

I'm really not a cusser, so I think I'd be fine if I was mic'd or miked or whatever it's called when you wear a mic.

I more baffled by the spelling of that word than anything.

I do think it'd be cool to hear the caddie / golfer talk.

Even though they are "live mic'd", the station still incorporates tape delay. The have to do that to keep the FCC of their back. If stations didn't tape delay mic'd up athletes/celebrities, they'd go bankrupt trying to pay the FCC fines.

Thank you Janet Jackson.

thanks for clearing that up. will be interesting to see what Byrd says today

I am enjoying seeing this thread on the Lastest Posts section all day, great for a nice laugh everytime... Mousing up golfers.. haha..

mouse2.jpg

Back