Camilo possible rules violation... Phoned in?

A TV viewer cost Craig Stadler $37k way back in 1987, so this is nothing new.

LA Times - TV Highlight costs Craig Stadler

And in the same story, it mentions incidents in 1980 and 1982 as well.

Strangely, there are two precedents for the misfortune that befell Stadler. Even more strangely, both also occurred in San Diego County--in the Tournament of Champions at La Costa.

In 1980, Tom Watson gave Lee Trevino a piece of advice, and TV fans overheard him. He was assessed a two-stroke penalty, but still won the tournament.

In 1982, Ron Streck broke a branch off a tree to clear his path. He, too, was reported by people watching at home and was penalized two shots.

Each time, the violation was discovered the same day. Stadler just was not that lucky.

From what I saw, it honestly looked like he deliberately tried to clear the path of the ball.
The ball was rolling back down the hill, and he removed debris that was there in front of him and the ball. The ball did not travel over or exactly near the debris he removed, but I think the action was still there.

I thought the same thing when I was watching

And in the same story, it mentions incidents in 1980 and 1982 as well.

don't forget the person that called about Julie Inkster using the weighted ring on her club during a round this past year.

From what I saw, it honestly looked like he deliberately tried to clear the path of the ball.
The ball was rolling back down the hill, and he removed debris that was there in front of him and the ball. The ball did not travel over or exactly near the debris he removed, but I think the action was still there.

I thought the same thing when I was watching

Same here Dean.

Has there been any official ruling on this yet? Is Camilo DQ'd?

I can't see the video either. Did they remove it from the posting that dtak originally cited? Or maybe not enough caffeine this morning for me b/c I can't find the video link?

They removed it and put this in its place:

**Video removed. PGATour.com will be posting an official version momentarily after they've had a chance to review it with Villegas, a link will follow.

It was already gone when I went to look at it earlier.

They have been running it on Sports Center but it was the #2 of the Top 10 Bad Shots of the day. If its what I'm looking at it looks like he is patting down the divot he just took as the ball is rolling back to his feet.

I just have to say that fans being allowed to call this stuff in or even network announcers being allowed to point out violations is outrageous!!! The PGA adjusting results based on the input of outside parties makes them a complete joke in my opinion.

Imagine calling the NFL and saying, "You guys missed a holding penalty on #78 on that touchdown pass in the 4th quarter" and having them say "ok thanks, we'll take away the touchdown". Or even Troy Aikman calling down to the field judge with the same information. The NFL would LAUGH at such intrusions into their game and rightly so.

If PGA rules officials want to watch the broadcast and review footage for questionable shots, fine; but these outsiders being allowed a voice in policing a sport with the fewest "missed calls" of any sport in the world is totally moronic and the people doing it should be waterboarded 'til they promise to never do it again.

*If anyone is unclear how I feel about this, please let me know and I'll try to be more direct :D :D :D

I just have to say that fans being allowed to call this stuff in or even network announcers being allowed to point out violations is outrageous!!! The PGA adjusting results based on the input of outside parties makes them a complete joke in my opinion.

Imagine calling the NFL and saying, "You guys missed a holding penalty on #78 on that touchdown pass in the 4th quarter" and having them say "ok thanks, we'll take away the touchdown". Or even Troy Aikman calling down to the field judge with the same information. The NFL would LAUGH at such intrusions into their game and rightly so.

If PGA rules officials want to watch the broadcast and review footage for questionable shots, fine; but these outsiders being allowed a voice in policing a sport with the fewest "missed calls" of any sport in the world is totally moronic and the people doing it should be waterboarded 'til they promise to never do it again.

*If anyone is unclear how I feel about this, please let me know and I'll try to be more direct :D :D :D

so what your saying is....?:alien:

if there is obviously no intent to break the rules they should tack on the extra penalty shots even after the card is signed, not DQ somebody. I never agreed with that...

Imagine if Bud Selig awarded that perfect game after that blown call. Changing results after that fact is a Pandora's box.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

The DQ is official now, right?

Again, Happy birthday Camilo. Too bad you got thrown out of the party.

The DQ is official now, right?

Again, Happy birthday Camilo. Too bad you got thrown out of the party.

Haven't seen yet. He's still listed on the tee times for today and nothing about it is on PGATOUR.COM.

Brutal... Would really love to see this viewer on live television, not hide anonymously!

I am seriously starting to get tired of the damn PGA and their ass hat rules and the way they handle things. I love golf, but if I had another option of another league with equal talent, I might stop watching PGA golf.

that stinks for Villegas. Though I do think he broke the rule.

I dont like it either, but play devil's advocate for a second. Nobody is on TV more than Tiger and Phil. Yet do you EVER see this happen to them? Of course not, because they know and study the rules. Perhaps better education of the rules is the answer, this way we dont have some old coot sitting on a couch with the phone in his hand waiting to dial at every chance. We know the ones. Heck some of them are even on our forum. :alien:

I just feel outside interference creates injustices. Does this person from their couch see every single shot that every single player in the field makes? This is a pro sport and mistakes are made (Assuming 99,9% of PGA players are honest and don't break the rules on purpose), average joe should have no say in the matter, it's why they have rules officials.

I just watched this again on the replay and his ball wouldn't even have hit those clods of dirt, it went to the right of where he swept them away with his wedge. I think it's BS, especially when the officials are informed by someone at home. Let's see that happen during a football game this weekend.

I just watched this again on the replay and his ball wouldn't even have hit those clods of dirt, it went to the right of where he swept them away with his wedge. I think it's BS, especially when the officials are informed by someone at home. Let's see that happen during a football game this weekend.

I saw it just now too duey. I agree, let the rules officials do their jobs.

But he did swipe it away before the ball got there. You couldn't know for sure where the ball was going to go coming down the hill.

Back