Camilo possible rules violation... Phoned in?

Perhaps the PGA should hire enough Rules Officials to follow all of the groups at all the tournaments. Cost shouldn't be an issue, they can probably afford it easily. And protecting the field should be a priority, and this would help achieve that.

Ding Ding Ding. Bring out 100 "advisors" and then none of this ever happens.

Perhaps the PGA should hire enough Rules Officials to follow all of the groups at all the tournaments. Cost shouldn't be an issue, they can probably afford it easily. And protecting the field should be a priority, and this would help achieve that.

devil's advocate alert:

what happens when player A is on one side of the hole and player B is on the other.....who is the rules official supposed to watch? or does each player have to wait to hit until the official gets there?

Don't they already have that?

only during majors? i think that's correct. they have scorers...not rules officials with every group.

devil's advocate alert:

what happens when player A is on one side of the hole and player B is on the other.....who is the rules official supposed to watch? or does each player have to wait to hit until the official gets there?

How did I know that would be asked? Simple. Hire one for each player. We want the correct result out there, these guys are playing for a lot of money.

Or have one on every tee box, one about 300 yards out and two around the greens. Let them run around to each player before they hit. Let's get really stupid about it, shall we?

Or have one on every tee box, one about 300 yards out and two around the greens. Let them run around to each player before they hit. Let's get really stupid about it, shall we?

that's funny.

all i want is a guy in the broadcast trailer reviewing the feed so joeschmo twitterfield doesn't have to worry.

And here I am, I should be on Point/Counterpoint. I am of the opinion that I really don't care if someone calls in but here I am making arguments against it!

But since it is such a big deal, hire these Rules Officials to make sure everything gets done right.

I think if a fellow Tour Player had saw the infraction on TV, he would have the decency to confront Villegas prior to reporting it as a courtesy to his fellow player. I just don't believe Camilo knew he was openly breaking a rule.

Actually the officials are both. While you may act as an advisor, part of the job is to police the rules. As you said, if an incident is observed, it must be reported.

No it isn't. Although we are supposed to act on a breach that we witness, we are otherwise not supposed to get involved unless asked to by the player. We try to be visible, and if we see a player in a situation where our services may be needed, we sort of hover in the area, but we don't interfere unless the player requests assistance, or we see a player either making or about to make a rules breach. Ideally I would try to stop him before he makes the mistake, but that isn't always possible as I may be too far away to observe the critical action. In any event, that case is much more rare than simply being asked to assist a player in following his chosen procedure correctly. That is my reason for being there. I don't make decisions for him I only advise him on the rules.

No, that is not what the rules officials are there for (they aren't "refs" - there are no referees on the course for a stroke play competition). I am a rules official. We are there as a resource for the player to use. We are typically assigned to work a group of holes. We can't possibly see all of the action and that is quite proper, because it is still the players responsibility to Play by the rules. If we happen to observe an incident, only then are we obligated to get involved if necessary. We aren't policemen, we are advisors.

Actually the officials are both. While you may act as an advisor, part of the job is to police the rules. As you said, if an incident is observed, it must be reported.

No it isn't. Although we are supposed to act on a breach that we witness, we are otherwise not supposed to get involved unless asked to by the player. We try to be visible, and if we see a player in a situation where our services may be needed, we sort of hover in the area, but we don't interfere unless the player requests assistance, or we see a player either making or about to make a rules breach. Ideally I would try to stop him before he makes the mistake, but that isn't always possible as I may be too far away to observe the critical action. In any event, that case is much more rare than simply being asked to assist a player in following his chosen procedure correctly. That is my reason for being there. I don't make decisions for him I only advise him on the rules.

I believe you are missing my point. I just said rules officials are BOTH. You keep disagreeing, but in the end, say exactly what I am saying.

Being obligated to report a rules breach witnessed is absolutely part of the job as you keep saying. You see someone violate the rules of golf while being an official. It is part of your job and an obligation to report that violation. That is pretty much it by definition. Whether it is your sole purpose for being there or not, which it clearly is not.

If you were close by and you saw a player getting ready to do something that would be against the rules, you would not speak up or step it to stop it?

Wait until near the end of our fantasy golf 2011 season here at THP- i bet some will be watching like hawks!!

I can see the thread now....

from thp, TC calls in rules violations on puttin4birds man. and wins the title.

hahaha j/k

coffee kicking in.

*on topic: i seriously dont think people should be able to call in... i mean police it with your people.. you are just going to open up a can of worms if the public is allowed too IMO.

But then again maybe they see it as an extra set of eyes...

i still say football and baseball should allow call ins

I think it makes the TOUR look a bit foolish. They can afford to get some more officials out there. Heck, one could even watch the TV coverage.

If you were close by and you saw a player getting ready to do something that would be against the rules, you would not speak up or step it to stop it?

Ideally yes, I would attempt to prevent a breach. I would do the same if I was his opponent or fellow competitor, even though it isn't my job there either. The problem is that most often either the breach happens so abruptly that it's done before you realize what he was doing, or you are too far away to do anything about it. The only time that there is a rules overseer traveling with a group while they play is in a match when a referee has been appointed by the committee to accompany the players.

Ideally yes, I would attempt to prevent a breach. I would do the same if I was his opponent or fellow competitor, even though it isn't my job there either. The problem is that most often either the breach happens so abruptly that it's done before you realize what he was doing, or you are too far away to do anything about it. The only time that there is a rules overseer traveling with a group while they play is in a match when a referee has been appointed by the committee to accompany the players.

Then it's time for the PGA to start doing this at regular tournaments too. Multiple officials per group if necessary. If they are serious about making sure everything is done correctly, let's get busy! Again, cost should not be an issue with the PGA.

Then it's time for the PGA to start doing this at regular tournaments too. Multiple officials per group if necessary. If they are serious about making sure everything is done correctly, let's get busy! Again, cost should not be an issue with the PGA.

I've been saying this as well, however it kind of worries me at the same time. I darn sure don't want to see ref's out there calling all kinds of stupid crap that never would have been an issue otherwise. I can see it now, striped shirts and whistles, lol. "Half the distance to the goal", haha

i still say football and baseball should allow call ins

aww hell let's go ahead and throw TV viewer call in's for hocky, basketball, soccer, winter olympics, Saturday night wrestling with Hulk Hogan & the gang, womens mud wrestling, truck bogging, boxing, fox hunting, dog kennel shows, skeet shooting contests yada dada do :thinking:

Well, I had more to say but I'm just leaving it. You don't really want my input anyway so....:wavey:

Reactions: JB
Well, I had more to say but I'm just leaving it. You don't really want my input anyway so....:wavey:

Actually Rick, I do. If you had looked at my other posts, you'd see that I don't really care that someone called in. It's been going on for 30 years now. I do think it's time the PGA looked into rectifying the situation so they can take care of it instead of having people call in.

This was posted in another forum, but I thought I'd paraphrase it here.

Where does the revenue come from that makes up the purses these guys play for? TV. If it wasn't for TV they would still be working 9 to 5 like the rest of us and playing golf on weekends... that or barely scraping by in a low paying club pro job. They fight for the chance to be on TV. The more exposure they get, the more money they get. This sort of case is a tiny price to pay for the millions of dollars we viewers shell out in product purchases to their advertisers and sponsors to support their careers. Now I'm done here.

Sorry, but that doesn't tie into this debate in any way.

I really have no idea how that is relative to the rulebook.

Company sponsorship is where the purses come from in a generalization of things.

Back