Greatest NHL Hitter

Although Stevens did have a ton of clean hits there are some that were pretty dirty.

AKA Hit on Paul Kariya in the playoffs in what year? I'm sure you all remember.

My vote goes to Dion Phaneuf.

Kariya doesn't remember what year it was himself...:beat-up:

Kariya doesn't remember what year it was himself...:beat-up:

Haha! While the contact was pretty clean, I'm sure with todays rules it would have incurred a suspension and the only thin that irks me is the delay time between the time Kariya passed the puck and the hit.

I thought the best line in there was "Langkow with two assists tonight, and he doesn't remember either one"

Just wanna drop my 2 cents... Scott Stevens had a unreal knack for lining up guys who were cutting through the middle but most of the big hits he threw were dirty. To purposely attack a guys head is gutless. He could easily have smoked those guys without ruining their careers.

Thainer, gotta disagree with you on Pronger and him being respected. The guy is hated, at his size there is no need to use his stick and elbows like that.

Blake on the other hand could throw a hard hit and it would be hard to find someone who doesn't think he was an ambassador to the game.

My vote would be for Blake as well, he had a real nack for knocking guys off the puck.
The first thing you learn in youth hockey in relation to body contact is to separate the player from the puck. In that same breath they will tell you to keep your head up at all times, so when you mix those two together you get the gray area of checking in hockey!!!

Just wanna drop my 2 cents... Scott Stevens had a unreal knack for lining up guys who were cutting through the middle but most of the big hits he threw were dirty. To purposely attack a guys head is gutless. He could easily have smoked those guys without ruining their careers.

Just ask Eric Lindros....never mind....he might not remember

Since some of this was brought up in the NHL thread I'll have to say that I agree with Thainer21 :D

Did you know that the big Scott Stevens hits were a set play between Stevens and his defense partner (I want to say Daneko but don't believe that is the case, just the other Devils Dman that I remember)? I believe it was the Kariya hit in the playoffs, actually the game after I think, where the announcers broke it down and the other hits where Stevens' partner forced the carrier to the middle and then took a very defensive stand/position to allow Stevens to go for the big hit. They broke it down with video of all of the same style hits, I think Stevens got Lindros twice, and they were all nearly identical.

I'll put my vote in for Blake, but I should vote for Stevens simply because I wasn't a Lindros fan. Big primadonna who disappeared every time he was needed most. He'd be at/near the top of the league in scoring throughout the regular season, then turn invisible come playoff time.

This kid is soon to be one of them. He left his feet AFTER the hit, speed and impact does cause some upward thrust. I disagree with all comments in this video

This happened up in my area

Although Stevens did have a ton of clean hits there are some that were pretty dirty.

AKA Hit on Paul Kariya in the playoffs in what year? I'm sure you all remember.

My vote goes to Dion Phaneuf.

That hit on Lindros was worse. That was a pure elbow to the face.

This kid is soon to be one of them. He left his feet AFTER the hit, speed and impact does cause some upward thrust. I disagree with all comments in this video

This happened up in my area

Ouch, I guess he got him off the puck.

Original post 9 out of the 10 of those were dirty illegal hits by today's standards, 10 years ago they were not. I am glad to see the NHL is tightening up on dirty hits and contact to the head. Still need to be more stringent with larger suspensions though.

I think Scott Stevens and Eric Lindros are both on the list of the NHLs biggest hitters. Lindros was a beast for a few years before the concussion problems.

Not mentioned enough but I think Alexander Ovechkin might be the hardest hitting forward in the game today. Zdeno Chara is one of the biggest hitters on the blueline today.

I think Scott Stevens and Eric Lindros are both on the list of the NHLs biggest hitters. Lindros was a beast for a few years before the concussion problems.

Not mentioned enough but I think Alexander Ovechkin might be the hardest hitting forward in the game today. Zdeno Chara is one of the biggest hitters on the blueline today.

Ovi is a good pick. He leaves his feet to much. But he's a great goal scorer and physical presence on the ice.

Tapatalk golfer on my iPhone!

Back