sad day for ncaa football

I think you guys are missing the point of the thread. My take on the thread is disappointment in the sad state of the NCAA and their ruling decisions relating to the major sports. Would they have deamed reggie bush innocent if he just said he didnt know his parents were getting free housing? Look @ Selby the bball player from KU, they sat him out until he repaid his benefit money, then okayed him to play. However, they wouldnt let the european kid enes repay his european travel salary and ruled him ineligible for 4 years of college bball. The NCAA also gave memphis the okay to play derrick rose (like they did with newton & auburn), only to wipe away their final 4 and their dream season. The OSU situation this year was a complete joke, the ncaa just didnt want to tick off the sponsors & rich alums by making pryor & co unavailable against arkansas. the ncaa is a joke for mjaor sports, and its very clear.

I was lucky enough to play 'non-revenue' D1 sports in college a few yrs ago, and think the ncaa is great for the smaller sports. They just need to break off the revenue sports, pay the players (something), and get a consistent governing body.

I am from OH, but do not follow 1 ncaa football team, especially not osu.

Reggie Bush was also getting cash so the differences are pretty large. In fact one of the reasons the whole thing was uncovered is because a "friend" of an agent came forward and talked about the money given to Bush during his time at USC and "had he paid it back" they never would have said a word.

You are comparing a guilty act that took place, to a supposed act that never had any financials change hands (according to the proof anyway)

I think you guys are missing the point of the thread. My take on the thread is disappointment in the sad state of the NCAA and their ruling decisions relating to the major sports. Would they have deamed reggie bush innocent if he just said he didnt know his parents were getting free housing? Look @ Selby the bball player from KU, they sat him out until he repaid his benefit money, then okayed him to play. However, they wouldnt let the european kid enes repay his european travel salary and ruled him ineligible for 4 years of college bball. The NCAA also gave memphis the okay to play derrick rose (like they did with newton & auburn), only to wipe away their final 4 and their dream season. The OSU situation this year was a complete joke, the ncaa just didnt want to tick off the sponsors & rich alums by making pryor & co unavailable against arkansas. the ncaa is a joke for mjaor sports, and its very clear.

I was lucky enough to play 'non-revenue' D1 sports in college a few yrs ago, and think the ncaa is great for the smaller sports. They just need to break off the revenue sports, pay the players (something), and get a consistent governing body.

I am from OH, but do not follow 1 ncaa football team, especially not osu.

no, i got the point of the thread, but i think it's a complete waste of time critique'ing the ncaa. i'm sure there's more stuff that goes on than any of us can ever imagine, but so what? what does complaining about it on a golf forum do? nothing. they have a governing body, they conducted an investigation, cam newton wasn't found guilty (at the moment), so what's there to discuss? that he took money? maybe. i'm sure there have been slews of kids all over the country that have taken money, or received something. i'm a north carolina fan, 8 of our starting 11 players on defense were suspended this year. was i happy about that? nope. did they break a rule and get caught? yep. this is one of those arguments that won't end good, i can already tell. i wish i had not posted.

I agree 100%. Couldn't understand what the coaches were thinking. Would've loved to see the Pac-10 come home with the title.

The only thing I can say is governing boards aren't always right imo. I'm pretty sure we all have been outspoken on whether or not the NCAA, PGA Tour etc have been right or wrong. Just because the NCAA declares him innocent doesnt mean people have to like it.

I have no idea if Cam benefitted or not but I'm inclined to say he didn't until proof is out there he did. Seems logical he would have seen something from all of it but maybe Cam is a honest person.

Auburn's front 4 just destroyed the Duck's front lol. Wasn't even close.

and one more thing, to give cam newton the credit for winning the nat'l championship is not even remotely true, or at least you watched a different game than i did. auburn's defense came to play, more specifically, the front four. they absolutely dominated that game, and absolutely stuffed the running game of the ducks. oregon should've thrown the ball a whole lot more. anyone who's watched any auburn football this year knows that one on one, they struggle with covering receivers, and oregon had great success when they did throw. so why did they keep up with the option game, when clearly it wasn't working?

When saying "Cam knew everything" as if it is fact, there are a few guys to consider. Starting with a guy that was one of the best high school recruits EVER!

Marcus Dupree - Was being shopped to colleges by a local reverend and family friend. News only came out about it after Dupree left Oklahoma. It appears that Dupree knew nothing of the sort and was just a little naive in the dealings.

The NCAA is a joke but no one will ever know the true story about what happened this year , unless as stated above, someone decides to squeal.

I think the part about his Dad being a minister is kind of ironic, but maybe that makes it okay?

Kevin

You think BG would still be saying this if it was OSU that won the National Championship? :alien:

hahaha. Yes especailly if it were Ohio State. I only root for OSU when the Big Ten needs a bowl win so it doesn't look like a FCS Conference.

But I actually thought that the NCAA shat the bed with that situation as well. There should have been no circumstance where those 5 should have played.

Love that pryor and his cronies all held hand and promised to come back next year -- so they could play in the bowl game for Ohio State --- " we had no idea that selling our jerseys for cash was wrong .... " ? are you kidding me --- singling out Auburn on a thread the night the win the championship deserves a flame -- would it have been "better" if they lost ? How much influence do you think Phil Knight and Nike have over the Oregon program ??? It was obvious last night ! I heard Phil even gets to call one play a game recently ... wow.

Here is my look at it. Why the hell would Auburn pay for a kid they picked up out of some Jr. college? Auburn probably said, "Hey Cam, we are a D1 school, wanna play for us?" That would be all the incentive that I would need. Innocent until proven guilty.

TapaTalking while driving. I swear it's safe. Oh cra...

Auburn undefeated. TCU undefeated. That is whats sad here.

Here is my look at it. Why the hell would Auburn pay for a kid they picked up out of some Jr. college? Auburn probably said, "Hey Cam, we are a D1 school, wanna play for us?" That would be all the incentive that I would need. Innocent until proven guilty.

Cam Newton was a blue chip recruit who originally signed with Florida but left for JuCo because Tim Tebow of Nazareth was leading the Gators to the promise land. When he came out of JuCo, the bidding war allegedly started.

he wasn't just some juco superstar setho, he was originally recruited by and signed with florida, so he was a blue chipper. he just wasn't gonna get to play with tebow being there so he transferred out. the offensive coordinator at florida when he was recruited and a freshmen, went on to coach at miss. state, so cam newton originally was going to go there after his stint in juco in texas. he didn't got there and instead went to auburn. auburn far exceeds everyone's expectations, then all this press comes out.

Spoken like a guy from TX.

Its not the first time two undefeated schools have finished the season and wont be the last. Everybody cries for that playoff and (in many cases they are right) in the end, it will not happen any time soon. But lets be honest here, no way Auburn loses that game first of all. But lets say we have a 8 team playoff. Then we get the same crying from schools 9-15 that say they got screwed.

People are far too passionate about college football (not necessarily a bad thing) to admit "defeat".

Spoken like a guy from TX.

Its not the first time two undefeated schools have finished the season and wont be the last. Everybody cries for that playoff and (in many cases they are right) in the end, it will not happen any time soon. But lets be honest here, no way Auburn loses that game first of all. But lets say we have a 8 team playoff. Then we get the same crying from schools 9-15 that say they got screwed.

People are far too passionate about college football (not necessarily a bad thing) to admit "defeat".

Its got nothing to do with TX or TCU besides the fact they are undefeated and thats the fact. Its that once again like I said before we have two undefeated teams. And the they should be playing each other to find out who is the real national champion. I hate the BCS. Wasnt it supposed to fix that issue?

he wasn't just some juco superstar setho, he was originally recruited by and signed with florida, so he was a blue chipper. he just wasn't gonna get to play with tebow being there so he transferred out. the offensive coordinator at florida when he was recruited and a freshmen, went on to coach at miss. state, so cam newton originally was going to go there after his stint in juco in texas. he didn't got there and instead went to auburn. auburn far exceeds everyone's expectations, then all this press comes out.

Yeah, he was a blue chip, but I doubt anyone thought enough of him in JC to offer him $$$. Seems that someone would have snatched him from FL were that the case.

and if Oregon had played Wisconsin your argument would have been...Auburn undefeated and Oregon undefeated...right?

Its got nothing to do with TX or TCU besides the fact they are undefeated and thats the fact. Its that once again like I said before we have two undefeated teams. And the they should be playing each other to find out who is the real national champion. I hate the BCS. Wasnt it supposed to fix that issue?

No. It was supposed to award a National CHampion based on different categories including strength of schedule, ranking, record, etc...

Example (and this is not about TCU or Auburn, just an example)
So if we have two teams that go undefeated and one team plays 8 top 10 schools and the other plays absolute nobodys, but then wins a bowl game against a team from a conference that was not great, they should have a claim?

Well other than I assume that the original poster feels even worse about OSU winning a bowl game right? After all, there is actual proof of them cheating and they still got to play in a bowl game and won.
I am on the record as very clearly stating that the Tat-5 had NO BUSINESS playing in the sugar bowl. In fact, I am considering rooting for Bucky next year and returning to OSU when TP and company leave. I am as mad at tressle as I am with anyone in the NCAA

things that make you go hmmm. this thread is one of them. the ncaa investigated the situation and they deemed Cam Newton innocent. is he?

According to Auburn, 24 hours before the NCAA ruled- he was inelligible. What gets me is that the NCAA came and reveresed a decision made by the school. What did the school know (or not know) that the NCAA didn't? What changed in 24 hours? It just looks funny when the school says No and the NCAA comes in and says "no really, you are fine- go win your heismann"

so far I'm hearing that it was newton's dad that did the shopping....not the schools. is that right? if that's the case....

how exactly does that make cam newton a cheater? (unless you bring into account that laptop at Florida and those tests and stuff but you didn't.....but I have back-up for that)

Actually, I hate the term "cheater". "Cheaters" use PAM to make themselves harder to tackle. "Cheaters" use steroids to make themselves bigger and stronger. "Cheaters" do things to influence the game on the field.

In this senario- AUBURN would be the cheaters because they did something to influence the composure of the team. Newton could be "dirty" or a "crook" or many other things, but Cam did NOT cheat. He did nothing on the field to make himself better or to influence the game.

Even if the allegations against his father are true... that Cam knew nothing and that this was all above his head- this sets a dangerous precident (along with the OSU situation) that if you plead ignorance and shelter the student from a link with the shinnenigans then you can do whatever you want and not get punished. I can already see the next HS standouts crafting ways to ask for money... but by insulating the player they will never be held accountable. It's a slippery slope.

At least Auburn got the NC this time... Next time it's TCU's turn?

If TCU plays Auburn, what is the outcome?

rxgus.......buying other people's term papers and turning them in as your own is still considered cheating....right?

eta: IMO, skirting the rules for your own gain is cheating.

According to Auburn, 24 hours before the NCAA ruled- he was inelligible. What gets me is that the NCAA came and reveresed a decision made by the school. What did the school know (or not know) that the NCAA didn't? What changed in 24 hours? It just looks funny when the school says No and the NCAA comes in and says "no really, you are fine- go win your heismann"

Actually, I hate the term "cheater". "Cheaters" use PAM to make themselves harder to tackle. "Cheaters" use steroids to make themselves bigger and stronger. "Cheaters" do things to influence the game on the field.

In this senario- AUBURN would be the cheaters because they did something to influence the composure of the team. Newton could be "dirty" or a "crook" or many other things, but Cam did NOT cheat. He did nothing on the field to make himself better or to influence the game.

Auburn did this to cover their own arses. If they do not punish the kid and it turns out to be true then the NCAA handles it differently if he is guilty. Auburn would have got into more trouble for not trying to handle this on their own. My opinion is they were just trying to cover their own arses

I am on the record as very clearly stating that the Tat-5 had NO BUSINESS playing in the sugar bowl. In fact, I am considering rooting for Bucky next year and returning to OSU when TP and company leave. I am as mad at tressle as I am with anyone in the NCAA

Even if the allegations against his father are true... that Cam knew nothing and that this was all above his head- this sets a dangerous precident (along with the OSU situation) that if you plead ignorance and shelter the student from a link with the shinnenigans then you can do whatever you want and not get punished. I can already see the next HS standouts crafting ways to ask for money... but by insulating the player they will never be held accountable. It's a slippery slope.

At least Auburn got the NC this time... Next time it's TCU's turn?

If TCU plays Auburn, what is the outcome?

That's why they play the game.

look i can post like tc from tapatalk

Is it better to have a conclusive National Champion, or to have all of the coverage and interest caused by the BCS? I think the fact that people are going to be talking about college football in any fashion helps the NCAA and the sport.

Most college bound kids with any type of talent for sports or arts shop themselves and try to get the best deal - who wants to give me the most scholarship money, etc.? I shopped my musical talents around. Most don't get extra cash under the table, but they are all more or less, technically, being paid to attend an institution via scholarships, grants, etc.

I have a much bigger problem with the NCAA allowing the OSU kids to play in the bowl game than I do with Cam Newton being allowed to play in a bowl game (until and unless any proof arises that he was involved in any of his father's dealings). No way the OSU kids should have been eligible. Just proof the NCAA is all about the money, not the kids (which further destroys their argument that a playoff would be detrimental to the kids, since they obviously don't care about the kids anyway, but I digress...)

Is it better to have a conclusive National Champion, or to have all of the coverage and interest caused by the BCS? I think the fact that people are going to be talking about college football in any fashion helps the NCAA and the sport.

As though a playoff wouldn't garner more coverage and interest? Look at the NFL playoff TV numbers from this past weekend - through the freaking roof! A college playoff could be even bigger.

Pretty sure that's not the only reason he left :comp:

Anyway, all schools bend/break the rules some get busted some don't. I'll still rib any Auburn fan about it of course, but I know my team has done the same thing in the past.

Cam Newton was a blue chip recruit who originally signed with Florida but left for JuCo because Tim Tebow of Nazareth was leading the Gators to the promise land. When he came out of JuCo, the bidding war allegedly started.

Back