To Those in the Golf Biz.... Do You Still Love Golf?

9-Iron Man

Exciting Times
Reaction score
Handicap
High
There's a common saying that if something you do for fun becomes your job, it becomes less fun. So to those of you who work in the golf industry, do you love the game more or less than before you started working in it?

Very interested in what people have to say about this. I work around something I love and I got to say: I don't love it as much any more.

BTW when I was high school I worked as a Caddie/ Bag Room Cleaner/ Driving Range boy and it was AWESOME. But that was more like a summer job for high school kids to mess around.

I got into the business because I love the game and I can't imagine a better way to spend my days. just when I think I might get frustrated because I don't to get to play as much as I'd like or don't make the most money...I walk out of the pro shop and look around. I get paid to do what I love. I watch the sun come up over dew covered fairways at one of the greatest golf clubs in the country. I can step out of the shop at any time and play a hole or two. I get to see and play all of the latest equipment in the industry. I have met so many people and grown so many relationships through-out my golf career....I wouldn't be here without them.

if you don't truly love the game....don't get in the business. I love it more each day.

i'm trying to find a way into the business myself. it's a shame that no one wants to take a chance on a 32 year old obsessed dude, with a huge passion for helping others, who loves this sport, who has a background in marketing and sales. i wish the economy would get better.

I'm tellin ya... I have an answer lol.

But I feel ya. I know there is something out this way, especially being in AZ.

i'm trying to find a way into the business myself. it's a shame that no one wants to take a chance on a 32 year old obsessed dude, with a huge passion for helping others, who loves this sport, who has a background in marketing and sales. i wish the economy would get better.

I got into the business because I love the game and I can't imagine a better way to spend my days. just when I think I might get frustrated because I don't to get to play as much as I'd like or don't make the most money...I walk out of the pro shop and look around. I get paid to do what I love. I watch the sun come up over dew covered fairways at one of the greatest golf clubs in the country. I can step out of the shop at any time and play a hole or two. I get to see and play all of the latest equipment in the industry. I have met so many people and grown so many relationships through-out my golf career....I wouldn't be here without them.

if you don't truly love the game....don't get in the business. I love it more each day.

You're just livin' the dream SD! I have to say I'm a little jealous!

I've heard this somewhere before, but age just isn't quite right. Oh yeah, that's me! I haven't really looked into any jobs myself, but obsessed? Check. Passion for helping others? Check. Loves the sport? Check. Who has a background in drafting with emphasis on municiple design. Check. But then again, I'm rather limited by the climate up here.....

9-i.....

I changed my entire life so I could live my dream.

my bank account sucks but I have some cool golf crap. :party time:

I think it's cool that you are doing something you love, sd. I'm sure it was a tough trade-off, but worth it in the end.

9-i.....

I changed my entire life so I could live my dream.

my bank account sucks but I have some cool golf crap. :party time:

so you haven't always done this? i find it pretty inspirational to tell you the truth. i've introduced myself to every director of golf and golf professional within 50 square miles, i told them that i just wanted an "in", i wanted to work towards my class A, but i've come to realize that it's more of a "who you know" type thing.

I have to say, I taught guitar for several years and it got to the point where I was so sick of teaching the same scales and same chords over and over I didn't want to pick up a guitar in my spare time. I finally gave up teaching and am slowly regaining my love of the instrument

so you haven't always done this? i find it pretty inspirational to tell you the truth. i've introduced myself to every director of golf and golf professional within 50 square miles, i told them that i just wanted an "in", i wanted to work towards my class A, but i've come to realize that it's more of a "who you know" type thing.

I'll send you a pm.

I have to say, I taught guitar for several years and it got to the point where I was so sick of teaching the same scales and same chords over and over I didn't want to pick up a guitar in my spare time. I finally gave up teaching and am slowly regaining my love of the instrument

I'm kind of in a similar boat. My job is fairly repetitive, so after almost 5 years of doing it, it is starting to loose it's appeal even though it's agreat job.

If given the chance...i might seriously think about taking a job in the sports industry. I have an idea of what it would be; but a few things have to happen in this order.

1. Computer teacher at my old high school leaves. I jump in to take her spot.
2. Get in cushy with the AD again. He better like me I was the best kicker he ever had >.<
3. Get either A. the baseball coach or B. the golf coach to retire. I'd really be perfectly fine coaching either of these sports the rest of my life lol.

If given the chance...i might seriously think about taking a job in the sports industry. I have an idea of what it would be; but a few things have to happen in this order.

1. Computer teacher at my old high school leaves. I jump in to take her spot.
2. Get in cushy with the AD again. He better like me I was the best kicker he ever had >.<
3. Get either A. the baseball coach or B. the golf coach to retire. I'd really be perfectly fine coaching either of these sports the rest of my life lol.

WestTex- I am hoping for number three to happen for me. We have a football coach that rides around in a cart as the golf coach at my school. I would like to get in on the job, but I have to wait for him to quit doing it. Sucks.

How high have you set the bar? I have played at my home course for 35 years. The course is family built and owned. The owner is a 40 yr PGA Professional who I have a very close relationship with. Knowing my background and line of work, he often calls on me to help him out with certain problems, like drainage, asphalt, concrete items etc and I'm happy to help.
I often offered myself as a service to him for whatever is needed. Many years ago they asked that I help with a couple of tournaments just running around, doing odd jobs. This lead me just jumping in and helping out.
Now when I show up to play and the place is packed, it is not unusual for me to just jump on the range cart and pick the balls if I notice the ball supply is low, or I may grab a key and move around carts as the returns get scattered around. If they are busy inside with a outing or a busy weekend, and I see the trash cans running over I just take care of it.
My point is, at some point down the road I'm going to retire from my job, I hope before I'm sixty, and I have created a "in" for me work at the course. I have mowed, trimmed and even cleaned the toilets, and I have never been paid a cent.
My advice would be to ask about a part time job at a course, maybe mowing, offering to do it for low pay. Let them know you know nothing about working at a course and be willing to start at the bottom. Our club owner/pro is close to 80 and he is not going to be around forever I'm sorry to say. He and I have spoke about love of the course and the family and he has told me there will be something for me when I need it there. I'm fine with starting at the bottom.

Last edited:
I'm a marketing guy but I would love to open a golf shop. I think I could market the heck out of it! An older fella around here must have had to close his doors because I went by his shop and it loomed shut down. He had a system where you could demo irons and woods for three days. It was awesome to have a place to pretty much rent new clubs and go try them on the course. That's a system I'd love to implement at my golf.

I'd give Huntsville the fitter we need and THP discounts! Haha.

But more on topic, this sounds like a dualing proverb. See, a dualing proverb is like "Absense makes the heart grow fonder" vs "Out of sight, out of mind." Which is it? "The pen is mightier than the sword" or "Actions speak louder than words?"

I hear what you're saying, but also admire people who say screw the money. I'd rather love my job and ove what I do, rather than get paid a ton and dread going to work.

I love marketing products I believe in. I think opening a golf shop would be awesome!

The resounding answer to this question is that we love it just as much as before. My husband and I are both former corporate-peons. As corporate peons, we knew that we'd be working for the man for the rest our lives. SO, we decided to get off and out before the golden hand-cuffs got us. There are days when too many customers complain with great rudeness, when the reps are not reliable, when you have a crazy amount of stress - but I think that's the case with running any business. These days we think that maybe we don't love the golf business - but we step back and realize no it's not golf that we don't love - it's just the daily stresses of running a business.

Was it or is it hard to break into the business? It definitely is on a retail level in Southern California. Some reps are very rude and never return phone calls. Some are amazing and work their tails off. From what we've heard, the attitude is because of our location (many of our reps are the top performers and sellers in the golf industry b/c of their territory).

As a mom and pop shop, we don't get the perks of being a green grass golf course (like unlimited free rounds of golf) and actually we play a whole lot less than when we didn't own a shop. We still love it when we get out though. A lot of our reps tell us that they also play a lot less golf than before they actually worked in the industry - not b/c they love it any less, but they just find it's harder to get out. It can be a difficult industry - really affected by the economy - but when you love the game, I think you definitely love your job a little more.

The resounding answer to this question is that we love it just as much as before. My husband and I are both former corporate-peons. As corporate peons, we knew that we'd be working for the man for the rest our lives. SO, we decided to get off and out before the golden hand-cuffs got us. There are days when too many customers complain with great rudeness, when the reps are not reliable, when you have a crazy amount of stress - but I think that's the case with running any business. These days we think that maybe we don't love the golf business - but we step back and realize no it's not golf that we don't love - it's just the daily stresses of running a business.

Was it or is it hard to break into the business? It definitely is on a retail level in Southern California. Some reps are very rude and never return phone calls. Some are amazing and work their tails off. From what we've heard, the attitude is because of our location (many of our reps are the top performers and sellers in the golf industry b/c of their territory).

As a mom and pop shop, we don't get the perks of being a green grass golf course (like unlimited free rounds of golf) and actually we play a whole lot less than when we didn't own a shop. We still love it when we get out though. A lot of our reps tell us that they also play a lot less golf than before they actually worked in the industry - not b/c they love it any less, but they just find it's harder to get out. It can be a difficult industry - really affected by the economy - but when you love the game, I think you definitely love your job a little more.

Thanks for the input Patty! Love the last line there.

It depends on if you love the game, or love playing the game really. If youre fine to be growing up and play practically never, then its worth it. But if youre one of those people who needs to play, then its not.

It depends on if you love the game, or love playing the game really. If youre fine to be growing up and play practically never, then its worth it. But if youre one of those people who needs to play, then its not.

Not too sure on what you mean here.

I think you're right here Thainer. I love the game. I love watching it on TV, reading about it, surfing THP :). It goesn't drive me crazy that I can't get out as much (I do hit the simulator rather frequently). Even though my husband doesn't get out as much, part of his "duties" are to read product reviews and trade magazines. Not bad for homework, right? But, when you own your own business and you have to choose between getting out on the course or opening your shop, you have to pick opening your shop. If you, however, work for someone else, you probably could have more time to play. For us, part of playing less also coincides with the birth of two children AND opening up our own business. Two very time consuming endeavors. We do anticipate, however, that as both the business and our kids get older, that we'll be able to golf more... or that's what we tell ourselves :).

I love the game. I love being around the course everyday, filling range buckets, cutting greens, driving the picker, regripping clubs, working in the restaurant and providing customer service. All the while Im doing that, Im not getting that chance to play golf. You get holidays when everyone else is working. You work every holiday, because thats when everyone is playing golf. If you can enjoy Tuesday and Thursday as your days off, then good on ya. There are benefits to the golf industry that can offer once in a lifetime opportunities, but if you like playing the game, working in the golf industry is not for you. Youd be better off taking a well paid job and buying a golf membership somewhere. Theres so much more to golf than hitting a ball, and not many people can distinguish that. One kid in my program wants to play golf everyday, and he had to quit the program because he wasnt getting that option while working at clubs. He used to when he worked as a 13 yr old at a club, but when you grow up, its different.
Not too sure on what you mean here.

TC are you trying to get in the teaching side or the product sales side?

Does it count that I retired from my FT job and then went to work in the business PT? I handle the accounting for our county owned course and work the pro shop for a whopping 20 hours a week. I've been there a little over 2 years now. At first, I just wanted to get away from there asap when I got off work but now I never want to leave. As soon as I clock out, I'm on the course unless it's bad weather.

Pros
  • Unlimited golf and range balls
  • PT income funds my golf addiction
  • Get to meet and play with a lot of different people
  • Employee discount on Cleveland/Srixon products!!! Woohoo!!!!!
Cons
  • Catch a lot of ribbing about my game from boss, co-workers, and other golfers who like to just show up and watch me hit the ball
  • Hard to practice without interruption (unsolicited instruction from a lot of hackers)

I've learned to just ignore my buddies and laugh with them when my game is the pits. I know they are rooting for me but I guess I dish out as much as they give me back. We have a blast at our course and I love the game more than ever.

I think you're right here Thainer. I love the game. I love watching it on TV, reading about it, surfing THP :). It goesn't drive me crazy that I can't get out as much (I do hit the simulator rather frequently). Even though my husband doesn't get out as much, part of his "duties" are to read product reviews and trade magazines. Not bad for homework, right? But, when you own your own business and you have to choose between getting out on the course or opening your shop, you have to pick opening your shop. If you, however, work for someone else, you probably could have more time to play. For us, part of playing less also coincides with the birth of two children AND opening up our own business. Two very time consuming endeavors. We do anticipate, however, that as both the business and our kids get older, that we'll be able to golf more... or that's what we tell ourselves :).

I love the game. I love being around the course everyday, filling range buckets, cutting greens, driving the picker, regripping clubs, working in the restaurant and providing customer service. All the while Im doing that, Im not getting that chance to play golf. You get holidays when everyone else is working. You work every holiday, because thats when everyone is playing golf. If you can enjoy Tuesday and Thursday as your days off, then good on ya. There are benefits to the golf industry that can offer once in a lifetime opportunities, but if you like playing the game, working in the golf industry is not for you. Youd be better off taking a well paid job and buying a golf membership somewhere. Theres so much more to golf than hitting a ball, and not many people can distinguish that. One kid in my program wants to play golf everyday, and he had to quit the program because he wasnt getting that option while working at clubs. He used to when he worked as a 13 yr old at a club, but when you grow up, its different.

I gotcha now, thanks. That makes perfect sense.

Back