Fastest Improvement You've Made

MSB256

Reaction score
Handicap
I really want to get better this year. What's the most strokes you've improved in a year? A month? A week?

For example, you shot a 90 then shot a 79 a month later...

Golf is a hot/cold game for even the best of players. I went from an average round in the low to mid 80's and then turned in two rounds of 74 in one season. 74 being my lowest drop from my norm. I have since gone back to mid 80's as a norm with some show nuff uglies sprinkled in for the humbling affect. Good luck and hopefully you can reach your target goal and maintain it for an entire season.

I went from a 9 to a 4 handicap over a summer. To do that, I averaged 7-10 hours at the range and about six 18-hole rounds per WEEK.

Played golf my senior year in college mostly to learn the game and get cheap clubs and free lessons. We were a small college and they only had 4 guys so the coach let me play. I had never played before so playing NCAA rules and playing from the tips on all courses was a challenge. I shot 137 one day at Ford's Colony in Williamsburg. Told the coach and the team that hell I bet I can shoot 20 strokes better the next day. Day two score 117 on the nose. Did the same thing at the Wilson Country Club in Wilson NC. Shot 104 day one 140 day two, and 100 on day three. So there is the most strokes I have improved in a two day and three day span. By the way I never finished last at any tourney.

Golf is day to day. My highest score last season was 97 and my low was 78. Its all about chipping and putting. I hit tons of fairways and tons of GIR but the shortgame will bit you.

Start of last school season, shot 54-56. Now, shoot 40-43. I think most of it is my short game. Still can't hit my irons worth crap.

I really want to get better this year. What's the most strokes you've improved in a year? A month? A week?

For example, you shot a 90 then shot a 79 a month later...

Last season I dropped my handicap from 22 to 14 during the course of the season. I have a feeling the next 8 strokes are not going to be that "easy"

Probably my first year (this is my second) I went from shooting in the 110's to a 15 handicap shooting on average in the high 80's

I went from about a 27 handicap in 2009 to 12 in 2010 with a couple of lessons and commitment to changing my swing to a "golf" swing. I dropped 6 strokes after one lesson without any practice between lesson and round, and another 6 after me second lesson. Like I have stated before, my 2011 goal is around a 5 handicap. I think it is doable with some more lessons from my instructor and more commitment to putting any changes in play.

Probably my first year (this is my second) I went from shooting in the 110's to a 15 handicap shooting on average in the high 80's

How did you do that?

How did you do that?

I took 5 lessons, and then I spend all my lunch hours at the driving range or short game area (probably 7 hours a week) and then one round a week if I can get. I just work really hard and got addicted to trying to get better. After getting to a 15 handicap I severed a tendon in my thumb and after surgery, a cast and rehab 4 months had gone by before I could golf again. That was 6 months ago now and have gotten to a 13 handicap but when I came back from the surgery it was like starting all over again.

Very interesting. I am trying to do now you what did, sometimes its hard. I can see many aspects of my game are getting better but I dont always see it in my score, which can be more puzzling at times then frustrating. I can feel the improvement but not really see it in black and white numbers

78 to 63 in two days. Then back to 78 two days later. :banghead: 2010 was so frustrating.

2 steps forward, 1 step back. Continually!

It's all about practising and learning. Mostly the second part really. If your focus is to drop your handicap, get a practise plan in place, take some lessons and use what you learn on the range. Work on the mental part of your game by reading a couple of books, take the bits you like and....practise them. I think you get the idea. :D

The quickest drop I've had was at the beginning after some lessons. I went from a 115-120 player down to a 100-105 player in a couple weeks. It's easy to drop a ton of strokes as a beginner. Sometimes it's as simple as learning one or two small things.

I went from a 24 handicap at the beginning of 2010 to a 12.9 by the end of the year by taking lessons and playing/practicing ALOT. My game has taken a turn for the worse right now and my handicap is headed back up but I'm sure it's because I was just pushing too hard and thinking way too much. I shot in the 70's about 5 times this summer and now I'm having a hard time breaking 90. Go figure.

In 2010 I scored mainly in the 90s, one or two over 100, and a couple lower, including one 76 on a shorter course where I was just on my game and hitting fairways and greens and my misses stayed in play. Just mostly lucky that day. Back not long after I started playing in high shcool I took lessons for a couple of months and really played well, took 10-15 strokes off of my game and could shoot in the low 80s/a few upper 70s regularly, but then colllege got in the way and didn't play as much and it has never returned. But I'm about to start with GolfTEC lessons this week - we'll see what happens!

my highest score in 2010 happened at the outing at pga national. i shot a 92 on the Palmer course playing against JB, haha. i shot a 39 on the front 9 though, so the wheels just fell off on the back 9, mostly on #18, but it was fun.

my lowest round in 2010 was a 73 (in fact, that's the lowest round of my life). i know i can shoot even par or better but i get all excited and nervous about it when i know i'm close. i shot 74 a bunch of times this year. usually for me, it's doing something stupid. trying to take more off the golf course when i know i shouldn't. i'll break par in 2011 and it'll be b/c of my short game and putting. that'll be my focus a bunch.

my highest score in 2010 happened at the outing at pga national. i shot a 92 on the Palmer course playing against JB, haha. i shot a 39 on the front 9 though, so the wheels just fell off on the back 9, mostly on #18, but it was fun.

my lowest round in 2010 was a 73 (in fact, that's the lowest round of my life). i know i can shoot even par or better but i get all excited and nervous about it when i know i'm close. i shot 74 a bunch of times this year. usually for me, it's doing something stupid. trying to take more off the golf course when i know i shouldn't. i'll break par in 2011 and it'll be b/c of my short game and putting. that'll be my focus a bunch.

That new seemore in your bag should be worth 2-3 strokes per nine. :D

97 to an 89 back to a 93 same course. My last round of the year I changed my grip drastically and saw a huge improvement just on consistency so I am really looking forward to this year

I can't really speak in terms of strokes because I am still trying to break that 100 mark but I can say that I have seen a HUGE improvement in my ball striking. I am far more consistent and see much fewer topped or fat shots. I did go from a 120 player down to a 105ish player after a few lessons, similar to hawk, but I haven't broken the 100 barrier just yet.

92-71-72. three days. same course. same conditions. lol.

in all seriousness though, I find that when I am playing my most consistent golf, I spending time practicing and playing. a happy medium of both. if I focus on any one thing, it's wedges and putting. I do maybe 25-30 7 irons and 20 or so drivers. if I have a significant struggle in one area....I might tune it up a little. but really managing my game on the course is more beneficial to me.

i used to be consistently in the low 80s... usually 82-84
and i swore if i could only get more distance id break 80 alot more often
so i took a power swing clinic which gained me 15-20 yards and added the same amt of strokes to my game hahaha
does going in the opposite direction count?

if not then i guess a few years ago i dropped 7-8 strokes in a month with an overhaul in fundamentals (lessons from teh boss)

This season I managed a 79 & 104. I don't know if there was any improvement per se, just inconsistency. haha

Back