2011 - Year of the Driver?

JB I know you are a big believer in the monitor and using "the numbers" to assist you in deciding what clubs you put in your bag. For us golfers who might only get to use a monitor at the local Golfsmith, hitting inside at a range, what numbers are you looking at and what are you looking for? I am sure it is more than just distance traveled. Also what changes cause you to make the switch? If this has been asked/answered already just point me to the answer.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

I really like the shaft offerings this year. Nike with a Fubuki on the Machspeed Black, Cleveland and Srixon with the Miyazaki's, Callaway with a Project X, I think these companies are really going after it with their offerings this year.

and even the made for(s) are really, really good.

it's tough not to be in hardcore pondering mode, especially with all the great stuff coming out, pics going up on THP, and JB's thoughts going up, and for those of us lucky to attend the outing, i can't wait to hear and see what many of you come away with that earns its way into the bag.

SS, Ball Speed, Spin, Launch, etc...

Its all about finding proper launch conditions.

I guess for me, it would come down to budget, and ball flight. I have ALWAYS (since THP started) chosen my driver based on numbers and only numbers. I am fortunate to get to try out most of the stuff (and now others can too at THP demo day) with a launch monitor, outside. I have always said that I never cared what it says as long as the numbers were right.

Ever since I became a member of THP I have started to turn that way too. I was so in the dark with golf clubs pre-THP and I am getting more knowledgeable everyday. Even though I reworked my whole bag last year, I want to do it again this year and get it right. I think, I have my irons down. I just want to get my driver right, this year. I have the R9 now with a Grafrolly shaft. It does fine, but I think it could be more consisant.

If you don't mind me asking, but what are your numbers? SS and any others you look at on drivers?

Ever since I became a member of THP I have started to turn that way too. I was so in the dark with golf clubs pre-THP and I am getting more knowledgeable everyday. Even though I reworked my whole bag last year, I want to do it again this year and get it right. I think, I have my irons down. I just want to get my driver right, this year. I have the R9 now with a Grafrolly shaft. It does fine, but I think it could be more consisant.

If you don't mind me asking, but what are your numbers? SS and any others you look at on drivers?

My swing speed is around 105 for my normal driver swing.

SS, Ball Speed, Spin, Launch, etc...

Its all about finding proper launch conditions.

I was listening to a interview with Dustin Johnson about the new equipment coming out, he mentioned that when they are testing drivers and woods now that they don't even look at his SS anymore they focus on ball speed, spin and launch. Clearly he has a ton of SS but would you recommend us mortals focusing on ball speed or focus on SS too.

I was listening to a interview with Dustin Johnson about the new equipment coming out, he mentioned that when they are testing drivers and woods now that they don't even look at his SS anymore they focus on ball speed, spin and launch. Clearly he has a ton of SS but would you recommend us mortals focusing on ball speed or focus on SS too.

No I dont recommend us mere mortals looking at anything the pros are doing and basing our game off of it. I believe in fitting based on all numbers.

i think spin and launch are pretty important #'s myself. i like to know my ss so i can figure which flex to be in but that's been established. i may be in the minority but i like a launch angle of around 14-16* and i like spin to be in the low 3000's or upper 2000's.

i think spin and launch are pretty important #'s myself. i like to know my ss so i can figure which flex to be in but that's been established. i may be in the minority but i like a launch angle of around 14-16* and i like spin to be in the low 3000's or upper 2000's.

I was under the impression that 14-16* was too high for a driver.....

I have heard you are a big hitter though. For a normal hitter, 100-105 ss would those numbers work to? Do I need a higher lauch angel?

So many amateurs try and fix their numbers based on what "others do". What I mean by this is they hear spin is bad and assume they need a low spin driver. Many amateurs need more spin. A high spin driver might help them more because it gets the ball up in the air and creates more carry. Then you have launch. Many amateurs are stuck on wanting launch at 10* for some reason with low spin. Then they wonder why they hit it 200 yards off the tee when they hit it well. Reason, because Ball Speed can only be so much so depending on how hard of impact (SS), many need far higher numbers and more spin to create those numbers.

This is going to sound harsh, and it is not meant to be. But people need to stop looking at some places and seeing terms like "spin killer" "too much spin" and "low launch" etc... Not everybody needs that. if they did, companies would stop making high spinning drivers. Truth is more than half the amateur golfers that I have ever put on the THP launch monitor needed more spin.

I was under the impression that 14-16* was too high for a driver.....

not for me. ask kenny perry what his launch angle is with that new superfast 2.0 driver.

I have heard you are a big hitter though. For a normal hitter, 100-105 ss would those numbers work to? Do I need a higher lauch angel?

my swing speed is avg is around 105/106 mph. i like what i see off the tee. i'm no rbelbin or biggsy but i can move a golf ball out there if/when i need to. more launch means more carry for me. if i'm seeing 8-10* of launch (like i was with the 910 driver) my carry distance just decreases significantly.

So many amateurs try and fix their numbers based on what "others do". What I mean by this is they hear spin is bad and assume they need a low spin driver. Many amateurs need more spin. A high spin driver might help them more because it gets the ball up in the air and creates more carry. Then you have launch. Many amateurs are stuck on wanting launch at 10* for some reason with low spin. Then they wonder why they hit it 200 yards off the tee when they hit it well. Reason, because Ball Speed can only be so much so depending on how hard of impact (SS), many need far higher numbers and more spin to create those numbers.

This is going to sound harsh, and it is not meant to be. But people need to stop looking at some places and seeing terms like "spin killer" "too much spin" and "low launch" etc... Not everybody needs that. if they did, companies would stop making high spinning drivers. Truth is more than half the amateur golfers that I have ever put on the THP launch monitor needed more spin.

I feel like my eyes are going to be opened to a whole new world at the Outing this year! That is going to be so awesome!

I'm one of those 'needs spin' guys. My carry distances suck without it.

This is exactly what I needed to read. Too bad it goes against everything I'd been doing to date. JB, how about we set a date, I'm thinking maybe May 20, and we sit down and bang out what I need in my driver and shaft. Sound cool? :D

I have to agreewith JB here. also with TC. I am not the best golfer out there but I will say that when I started playing golf I didnt care about my numbers. it meant nothing to me. I just wanted solid contact. once I acheived that then I worked on the rest. I think too many amateurs get stuck on numbers and not results.

I have to agreewith JB here. also with TC. I am not the best golfer out there but I will say that when I started playing golf I didnt care about my numbers. it meant nothing to me. I just wanted solid contact. once I acheived that then I worked on the rest. I think too many amateurs get stuck on numbers and not results.

bingo broseph! all the numbers in the world mean zilch if you can't consistently put the ball on the sweet spot.

bingo broseph! all the numbers in the world mean zilch if you can't consistently put the ball on the sweet spot.

That's very true, but to an extent, some numbers can mean alot as you're learning. Case in point would be launch angle/side spin with a golf ball. When I did a ball fitting the difference with those two numbers between the e5 and e6 meant over 25 yards in total distance for me.

That said, I'm not looking for those perfect numbers like a more advance player might. Just looking for the ones that get me the best results with what I have right now.

I think we really need to shift this one back to the 2011 drivers. Driver fitting surely has a place in another topic though.

I played the cheapest ball in golf for the first few years of learning. I do agree with you Hawk that a ball makes a huge difference, but you still have to be able to hit that ball. Brand tends to not matter if its not going anywhere. you can polish a turd but at the end of the day its still a piece of #&$%. I think when first starting out you need to learn the basic fundamentals then work on improvements. When I first took up basketball I didnt start by shooting 3's, I started with the basics. I think thats the point here.

sorry JB, I was typing while you posted. I do agree that it is the year of the driver, I also think that its turning into the year of hybrids as well

Sorry, JB. Knew that was coming :)

Driver I'm most excited about testing right now = R11. I'm afraid it might not be spinny enough for me , but I just love the R series.

Sorry, JB. Knew that was coming :)

Driver I'm most excited about testing right now = R11. I'm afraid it might not be spinny enough for me , but I just love the R series.

Same here. I'm really excited about this one. It's got the looks and finished 2nd in it's Tour debut, so it's definitely a performer. Hopefully it's a performer for me as well. I've really come to love TM drivers.

Back