Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Cam Newton declares. JB I would like your thoughts on this. Where will he be drafted and will he be under center in the NFL?

Yes he will be under center at least at the beginning. Scouts are comparing him to a project version of Rapistberger. Big in size, can shrug off defenders, run the ball, big arm, but struggles reading defenses and making quick throws that are accurate. He is definitely the wildcard in this draft. He could go as early as #1 and ad late as 22nd I would say. Wont know until i hear how his workout and interview goes.

The real issue with draft status is that all the teams early need a QB and all the teams late do not. After about pick 12 I am not sure there is a team that needs a QB until you get to Seattle and they are still playing right now. One could argue with Miami and Jax, but I dont think either team takes a 1st round QB that is a project with where their franchises are right now. I say someone jumps up to take him around 12-14.

Newton makes a lot of sense for Jax where he could sit behind Garrard for a bit. But I'm sure someone will go nuts after his Pro Day workout and take him 5-10 spots above where he should go

Yes he will be under center at least at the beginning. Scouts are comparing him to a project version of Rapistberger. Big in size, can shrug off defenders, run the ball, big arm, but struggles reading defenses and making quick throws that are accurate. He is definitely the wildcard in this draft. He could go as early as #1 and ad late as 22nd I would say. Wont know until i hear how his workout and interview goes.

The real issue with draft status is that all the teams early need a QB and all the teams late do not. After about pick 12 I am not sure there is a team that needs a QB until you get to Seattle and they are still playing right now. One could argue with Miami and Jax, but I dont think either team takes a 1st round QB that is a project with where their franchises are right now. I say someone jumps up to take him around 12-14.

Awesome thanks for the info.

Cam Newton might be the best tight end coming into the draft.

Breaking: Cam Newton declaring for the draft is good for Auburn. Now they will have cap space available to recruit more athletes.

Cam Newton might be the best tight end coming into the draft.

Breaking: Cam Newton declaring for the draft is good for Auburn. Now they will have cap space available to recruit more athletes.

LOL this reminds me of the SMU thing and what they said about Dickerson....

Newton is probably taking a pay cut entering the draft.

LOL this reminds me of the SMU thing and what they said about Dickerson....

Pryor is DEFINITELY taking a pay cut when he enters the draft.

FIFY..

The time to declare is winding down, he better not disappoint. I don't wanna see him back on the field.

A+

Is there really going to be a dollar and cents comparison between TP's tattoo's and Cam's $180,000 here? Really?

A+

Is there really going to be a dollar and cents comparison between TP's tattoo's and Cam's $180,000 here? Really?

And where did Cam get $180,000? You are right, there should be no comparison. One school was cleared of the wrong doing and the other was caught red handed. And if you think it stopped with tattoos, you might want to check TP's registration some time.

And where did Cam get $180,000? You are right, there should be no comparison. One school was cleared of the wrong doing and the other was caught red handed. And if you think it stopped with tattoos, you might want to check TP's registration some time.

I guess it's frustrating when Cam is defended to the death but one can level a completely unsubstantiated claim at TP (whom, if you remember, I can not stand).

A fify saying TP is definitely loosing money when he goes into the draft sounds like an accusation which- one step removed from being found "innocent"- has never needed to be investigated.

Tapatalk- doesn't cure a slice...

I guess it's frustrating when Cam is defended to the death but one can level a completely unsubstantiated claim at TP (whom, if you remember, I can not stand).

A fify saying TP is definitely loosing money when he goes into the draft sounds like an accusation which- one step removed from being found "innocent"- has never needed to be investigated.

One player was named innocent of wrong doing. One player has said himself he was guilty. After that I have nothing else to say. Im not a Cam Newton fan. I hate Auburn and the SEC, but I am also a realist when it comes to sports and not a fanatic like many.

That rubs people the wrong way because they want to believe that their heroes and teams are wonderful. That everybody is just as bad or worse. I love fanaticism and think it is great in sports. But in this matter, its more black and white. Only one of the two guys you mentioned has an unsubstantiated claim against them. Not the other!

One player was named innocent of wrong doing. One player has said himself he was guilty. After that I have nothing else to say. Im not a Cam Newton fan. I hate Auburn and the SEC, but I am also a realist when it comes to sports and not a fanatic like many.

That rubs people the wrong way because they want to believe that their heroes and teams are wonderful. That everybody is just as bad or worse. I love fanaticism and think it is great in sports. But in this matter, its more black and white. Only one of the two guys you mentioned has an unsubstantiated claim against them. Not the other!

Claiming TP sold stuff to get a tattoo is 100% ok by me. It's fact and can not be argued.

Claiming that TP is taking other benefits on the side, to the tune that he might make less as an NFL player is simply wrong. Max value of the tattoo was 1k- so where does making an accusation that TP will make less in the NFL come from? Are you insinuating that he is also getting money under the table? Where are your sources? Can you provide a link for that :act-up: :alien:

I realize that it was a fify and a joke: but jokes about Cam get shot down as him being cleared but jokes about TP taking money in addition to the tats is ok? Just seems like a bit of a double standard.

Claiming TP sold stuff to get a tattoo is 100% ok by me. It's fact and can not be argued.

Claiming that TP is taking other benefits on the side, to the tune that he might make less as an NFL player is simply wrong. Max value of the tattoo was 1k- so where does making an accusation that TP will make less in the NFL come from? Are you insinuating that he is also getting money under the table? Where are your sources? Can you provide a link for that :act-up: :alien:

I realize that it was a fify and a joke: but jokes about Cam get shot down as him being cleared but jokes about TP taking money in addition to the tats is ok? Just seems like a bit of a double standard.

I give up. TP never got cars despite speeding tix showing otherwise. Clearly jokes are okay against Cam but not TP (the pay cut joke). Like the MLB forum, Im done. There is nothing else to say. One thing I can say. As of right now there is one guilty school (out of the 2) and the other is not. NOTHING ELSE!

Fans can go back to their bias and I am all for that. I think fanatics are great for sports. I wish they could view things with clear eyes, but it is apparent in this thread that they cannot. I will be the first one to say that my school was overrated. The first to say that my school cheated. And the first one to say that my conference stinks. I guess that makes me a different person or less of a fan.

I am also the first one to see other sides of things like the direct comparison to Marcus Dupree in Cam Newton. What is the direct comparison to TP? One guy admittedly cheated and got caught. Another guy has not done that as of yet. If he does, I will be the first to crucify him and the school. But based on what I have heard, and am hearing, its just not there. The constant "well CAM got paid and SEC schools cheat too" is so overblown. OSU got caught cheating. Nothing else needs to be said. When another school does whatever the conference, they can get berated too.

I give up. TP never got cars despite speeding tix showing otherwise. Clearly jokes are okay against Cam but not TP (the pay cut joke). Like the MLB forum, Im done. There is nothing else to say. One thing I can say. As of right now there is one guilty school (out of the 2) and the other is not. NOTHING ELSE!

Fans can go back to their bias and I am all for that. I think fanatics are great for sports. I wish they could view things with clear eyes, but it is apparent in this thread that they cannot. I will be the first one to say that my school was overrated. The first to say that my school cheated. And the first one to say that my conference stinks. I guess that makes me a different person or less of a fan.

I am also the first one to see other sides of things like the direct comparison to Marcus Dupree in Cam Newton. What is the direct comparison to TP? One guy admittedly cheated and got caught. Another guy has not done that as of yet. If he does, I will be the first to crucify him and the school. But based on what I have heard, and am hearing, its just not there. The constant "well CAM got paid and SEC schools cheat too" is so overblown. OSU got caught cheating. Nothing else needs to be said. When another school does whatever the conference, they can get berated too.

It is what it is I guess.

I make jokes about cam and I get very strong response "cam didn't cheat", but people makes jokes about TP (regarding unsubstantiated claims) and it's ok.

I see a double standard, apparently in the same way you see a double standard. It's funny because if w talked in person you would see that I am pretty level headed and unbiased. Here, I respond in a somewhat defensive role because there seems to be a lot of bias AGAINST the BT and tOSU. More often than not I am responding against what I perceive as biased attacks.

I am the first to admit the BT was awful this year. I am the first to say OSU is often overrated and has a negative viewpoint across the nation. I HATE TP to the point that I am rooting for UW next year and I lost a TON of respect for the vest.

I don't see a difference between saying that Cam took money and saying TP took cars. When the NCAA investigates Pryor for the cars and finds him guilty then we can talk. But of I can't talk about Cam because he was clean, then anything involving TP (other than the tats) is off limits as well. Afterall, the NCAA hasn't said he took cars just like the NCAA hasn't said Cam took money.

I don't see a difference between saying that Cam took money and saying TP took cars. When the NCAA investigates Pryor for the cars and finds him guilty then we can talk. But of I can't talk about Cam because he was clean, then anything involving TP (other than the tats) is off limits as well. Afterall, the NCAA hasn't said he took cars just like the NCAA hasn't said Cam took money.

I said I was done and will be after this last comment. There is a MAJOR difference. One guy was caught in said cars. The other guy has NOT been caught with any of the money. That is a MAJOR difference. Like I said, the fans can go back to being fans. Is Cam innocent? Maybe, maybe not. I think most of these kids are on the take and its clear that a program with history like OSU has been a part of that. However there is precedent in the Cam thing in Marcus Dupree. Almost Identical Case!

But to say they are the same when one has been caught red handed and the other has not is unfair in my opinion. I would say it if it were my school (and did previously) and I equally dislike the Big 10 and the SEC. People dont like seeing certain perspectives as fans, and I respect that, so I am moving on.

I said I was done and will be after this last comment. There is a MAJOR difference. One guy was caught in said cars. The other guy has NOT been caught with any of the money. That is a MAJOR difference. Like I said, the fans can go back to being fans. Is Cam innocent? Maybe, maybe not. I think most of these kids are on the take and its clear that a program with history like OSU has been a part of that. However there is precedent in the Cam thing in Marcus Dupree. Almost Identical Case!

But to say they are the same when one has been caught red handed and the other has not is unfair in my opinion. I would say it if it were my school (and did previously) and I equally dislike the Big 10 and the SEC. People dont like seeing certain perspectives as fans, and I respect that, so I am moving on.

You CAN NOT condemn TP for anything other than tats. Period.

Based on previous posing records one can not accuse someone of wrong doing unless the NCAA has investigated them and found them guilty. This was not done.

If there were ANY legs to what is being claimed, why hasn't the NCAA investigated it? If it is so obvious that TP illegally took benefits why hasn't the NCAA done anything about it.

If you defend Cam because the NCAA cleared him, you can not level a claim against another player without an NCAA indictment. This is the definition of a double standard.

Pick one
Does suggestion of guilt equal guilt? Then both Cam and TP are fair game.

Does absence of proof equal innocence? Then both Cam and TP and his "cars" get a pass.

However, there is no logical argument that Cam get off clean and TP gets indicted for something other tats. You are welcome to your opinion that TP took cars. I am welcome to the opinion that Cam took money. But, based on precident in this thread neither of us can present them as fact.

Edit: thread is unsubscribed. I think this is a conversation that would have to happen face to face were each person can make concessions and we can decide on the foundations for guilt, the role of the NCAA, and how that applies to these two situations. Short of that, I think we are just raising blood pressure.

I hope I did not frustrate you too much JB. I am much more personable in "arguments" when face to face

You CAN NOT condemn TP for anything other than tats. Period.

Based on previous posing records one can not accuse someone of wrong doing unless the NCAA has investigated them and found them guilty. This was not done.

If there were ANY legs to what is being claimed, why hasn't the NCAA investigated it? If it is so obvious that TP illegally took benefits why hasn't the NCAA done anything about it.

If you defend Cam because the NCAA cleared him, you can not level a claim against another player without an NCAA indictment. This is the definition of a double standard.

Pick one
Does suggestion of guilt equal guilt? Then both Cam and TP are fair game.

Does absence of proof equal innocence? Then both Cam and TP and his "cars" get a pass.

However, there is no logical argument that Cam get off clean and TP gets indicted for something other tats. You are welcome to your opinion that TP took cars. I am welcome to the opinion that Cam took money. But, based on precident in this thread neither of us can present them as fact.

I have tried to walk away and you just will not let me.

You can check to see his citations and see what was done. I cannot control what the NCAA chooses to do, and I have NEVER said that I based on thoughts on Cam based solely on that. I find some of this fanaticism nearly comical. I have NEVER once defended Cam Newton for his actions. What I have done is say that people are making assumptions based on something that really may not be true and given a specific fact in the Marcus Dupree case that is clearly before your time that parallels this situation to a T. One guy was caught cheating and caught in loaner cars on 3 occasions this year. Loaner cars are not necessarily illegal in all situations nor have I ever said they were (at all times). The other guy had a father that tried to get paid by a different school and Cam did not go there. I can only say this one more time. One guy got caught cheating and the other did not. I dont care what he got caught cheating for, he got caught. So did the program and the program is clearly dirty based on the THING THEY GOT CAUGHT WITH. I have never said that loaner cars made him MORE dirty (although it does not make him anymore clean). Someone made a joke that Cam is taking a pay cut in the NFL, I said the same thing back about Pryor.

You then jumped off the deep end and went all Big 10 (its a term used in the south for going nuts and losing) (obviously another joke). There is no parallels that can be made. One guy is confirmed dirty and the other guy is not as of yet. Whether or not more comes out about either one will come to pass soon. I believe that more comes out about both frankly, but not in the way most are suspecting.

Enjoy the upcoming season, I truly hope and am being honest here, that it goes the way you want it to as a fan.

I have tried to walk away and you just will not let me.

You can check to see his citations and see what was done. I cannot control what the NCAA chooses to do, and I have NEVER said that I based on thoughts on Cam based solely on that. I find some of this fanaticism nearly comical. I have NEVER once defended Cam Newton for his actions. What I have done is say that people are making assumptions based on something that really may not be true and given a specific fact in the Marcus Dupree case that is clearly before your time that parallels this situation to a T. One guy was caught cheating and caught in loaner cars on 3 occasions this year. Loaner cars are not necessarily illegal in all situations nor have I ever said they were (at all times). The other guy had a father that tried to get paid by a different school and Cam did not go there. I can only say this one more time. One guy got caught cheating and the other did not. I dont care what he got caught cheating for, he got caught. So did the program and the program is clearly dirty based on the THING THEY GOT CAUGHT WITH. I have never said that loaner cars made him MORE dirty (although it does not make him anymore clean). Someone made a joke that Cam is taking a pay cut in the NFL, I said the same thing back about Pryor.

You then jumped off the deep end and went all Big 10 (its a term used in the south for going nuts and losing) (obviously another joke). There is no parallels that can be made. One guy is confirmed dirty and the other guy is not as of yet. Whether or not more comes out about either one will come to pass soon. I believe that more comes out about both frankly, but not in the way most are suspecting.

Enjoy the upcoming season, I truly hope and am being honest here, that it goes the way you want it to as a fan.

I am glad that fanatic is your way of dimissing my opinion.

I am not as biased nor as "fanatic" as you think I am. If I appear otherwise than I guess I am not portraying my opinions well, or they are not being interpruted well... And likely both.

I refuse to let this effect a friendship off the site so like you, I will walk away.

I am glad that fanatic is your way of dimissing my opinion.

I am not as biased nor as "fanatic" as you think I am. If I appear otherwise than I guess I am not portraying my opinions well, or they are not being interpruted well... And likely both.

I refuse to let this effect a friendship off the site so like you, I will walk away.

Fanatic is not a derogatory term. Fan is short for it and it in no way means something bad.

:popcorn:

Go Buckeyes!!! Pryor and Co. go ahead and sit 5 games for your troubles... We don't need you that early in the season anyway... But looking forward to week 6 when your back on the field...

I think it'll either be the incoming freshman QB or Guiton taking the snaps for the buckeyes in the first 5 weeks. Small chance Bauserman will get the starting job to start the season off.

Gig 'Em Aggies! Can't wait for the 2011 season where hopefully the Texas Aggies can finally compete for the Big 12 (or is it the new "Big 10") title!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back