Status
Not open for further replies.

portstlucie22

Reaction score
Handicap
About every night me and my roomate go out to the 13th tee box on wanamaker which is right behind our place and hit a handful of shag balls into the water down the right side. when we first moved in puring one out of 4 was a succes :clapp:. now It seems to have become as familiar as during the day. I think It has improved my ball striking somewhat and its always fun to hear a splash about 180 yards away. :laughing: Not to mention there is a short course with 6 holes that are each about 50 yards that we will go out to at night and play closest to the pin. one of us will hole out about every other time. Any of you try out stuff like this?

I have to say I am SO against stuff like this. Just my opinion of course, but so against it.

Stuff like this can seriously hurt a golf courses reputation. Having so many divots in one place, especially on a teebox makes a golf course look terrible, and causes unnecessary damage.

Im not going to sit here and tell you not to do it, but can you at least do it out of the rough?

Gotta agree, I live on a private course and one of my neighbors kids started firing darts on a nearby par 3 at night creating alot of ballmarks and doing damage to the tee box. The club took away the members privledges until he paid for all the damage created. Courses need time to heal from all the play they receive.

not what i thought this thread was going to be about...at all

I have to say I am SO against stuff like this. Just my opinion of course, but so against it.

I have to agree. Not the best idea.

I have to echo the sentiments of the others. Doesn't this count as trespassing as well?
I'm afraid I can't support abuse of someone's property like this.

I wish I could say what is really on my mind. Such a selfish thing to do.

not the responce the op had in mind. pillock springs to mind

So true, but being transparent is a good thing even though not everyone will agree with what you do or what you think. Life is all about living and learning.

I can't say as I agree with doing either of those.

I would suggest switching to night putting.

Cousins and I play a night round once a year using glowballs, don't use fairways, hybrids or drivers with these balls as damage may occur, we always have a great time.

And before everyone gathers up rotting fruit to throw please be aware that course management is always aware we are on the course. After the first year we also make sure the local police and highway patrol are also aware that we are playing the course at night as they both came out onto the course to verify what we were up to after spotting us. Town cop plays so after a little small talk he wished us well on our game and went back to patrol, the highway patrol after seeing who we were just shook his head and mumbled that we had to be crazy, small town and my cousins knew both officers so we never had any concerns.

Ouch I know this stuff is frowned upon by course managment but i wasnt expecting such a response from the internet guys. My Uncle shares his back yard with a course down in Carmel, CA (No not the first course that springs to your mind, the second one) and he's friends with the staff there. They let him putt around and hit chips off a mat but they definitly stressed no Pitch shots to Full swing shots. In fact I got him in trouble about that a long time ago, back when I was in HIgh School.

I see what you guys are saying about damage but when your hitting from the sides of the teebox outside of the tee markers I dont see the harm. especially when theres divot sand with seed. its GRASS. As for trespassing Im out there 7 days a week and pay an extra 1200 a semester to have a 4 month membership. all sorts of people walk the course mid day with there dog or just for a quick jog anyway. It would be different If I was hitting 100 yard "darts" into a green and not repairing ball marks. Not to sure how its selfish but to each his own.

I see what you guys are saying about damage but when your hitting from the sides of the teebox outside of the tee markers I dont see the harm. especially when theres divot sand with seed. its GRASS. As for trespassing Im out there 7 days a week and pay an extra 1200 a semester to have a 4 month membership. all sorts of people walk the course mid day with there dog or just for a quick jog anyway. It would be different If I was hitting 100 yard "darts" into a green and not repairing ball marks. Not to sure how its selfish but to each his own.

Because you're out there when the course is closed, perhaps? You also said you were on the teebox, but now you're on the sides?

If you were a member of a gym, would it be OK to go in and use the equipment when they are closed? You have a membership, so why not?

I wont get into any further whether it is right or wrong, but most sand in FL does not have seed in it. Common misconception because bermuda grows so fast.

I work from time to time at my home course and I've been a member there for thirty years. It is well known there that the course is considered closed after dark. Members would know better and would not be out there after dark. None members, it would no doubt be considered trespassing. The best course of action will always be to use the course only as intended.

excuse me for not being specific. as for your comparison, I think a gym that locks its doors is a little different than a golf course surrounded by condos. around 630 to 7 people start fishing the lakes and dont stop for some time. I respect the course. Im out there playing rounds so I dont do anything that would put me or any other player at a disadvantage. The sand on the tee boxes is a dark green sand has added seed. bermuda grows fast as it is anyway.This thread is a lost cause since no one has even said anything about playing at night and the benefits you may obtain or how fun it may be lol.

I understand what the other's are saying but I will try to say something positive. In the summer, there is a local course here that has 9-12 "glow golf" where they light up the fairway sides and the pin and the golf ball and you play. Putting is almost completely feel in reading the greens and scores normally aren't that good. But it's very fun. ... The course is open though,

excuse me for not being specific. as for your comparison, I think a gym that locks its doors is a little different than a golf course surrounded by condos. around 630 to 7 people start fishing the lakes and dont stop for some time. I respect the course. Im out there playing rounds so I dont do anything that would put me or any other player at a disadvantage. The sand on the tee boxes is a dark green sand has added seed. bermuda grows fast as it is anyway.This thread is a lost cause since no one has even said anything about playing at night and the benefits you may obtain or how fun it may be lol.

Closed is closed whether there are doors or not. If you don't see that you are doing anything wrong, there's no explaining it to you. So yeah, this thread is a lost cause.

Not sure I'd want to eat any fish out of the ponds on a golf course. Chemicals and all that. I'd say the people fishing are less likely to cause course damage than people hitting golf shots. Whether you are on the tee box or on the side of the tee box.

And if the fishermen don't have permission, then they are trespassing also.

Last edited:
Playing golf at night where allowed and sneaking on the course to do so is two different things. One is ok, one is not. As for fishing....we allow it, we just tell people not to eat the fish for the reason pointed out. Golf course ponds are not safe for eatin.

the Course down the street lets me play at night all the time.
It's called Malibu Castle Putt Putt Fun Castle & Go Kart Grand Prix
:D

If you had permission from the GM, it would be okay, but I am assuming you do not. As such, I cannot help but be mildly disgusted by this. I hate to be so frank with you, but that is simply the way I feel. You are tresspassing, there is no way to write that off. Blatantly, willfully, you are repeatedly breaking the law. It saddens me that you seem to feel no remorse for these actions. I hope you rid yourself of this habit.

How often do you guys replace the halos around your head? Im just saying hitting a golf ball at night is different than in the day and I think it has helped my ball striking. people fishing here arent trespassing as the lakes are stocked and allowed to be fished out of. I know its also catch and release. having no remorse? bro im hitting some golf balls into a pond and I wouldnt say a divot is course damage. Ive never tried glo ball golf but it sounds like a blast. hopefully ill get to try that out with out causing course damage or trespassing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back