Woods Back Next Weekend

Coversely, how do we know that they do fear him? I think a good example is a Ryder Cup rookie calling him out for the singles match. Graeme McDowell obviously doesn't fear him, he took his best shots and beat him. What did he do in 2010, a year in which he was physically fit, that showed you that he'll be dominant again? Please, tell me.

I think that says it all, the guy is on a cold stretch and suddenly the rookie is a world beater. McIlroy has nothing to lose, he beats Tiger he's the man. He loses, so what, he loses to one of the game's greats.

Way off topic, but I really want to see Ricky Barnes make an impact. lol. That to me would be better than seeing Tiger back. And also, the US players snuffing out the pesky Euros.

I would do multi quote but I keep posting, then post to a response that was posted after a post. Roadhouse.

Its what makes me love the PGA Tour that much more.

This thread is already starting to suck. I'm not going to sit and argue with anyone so this will likely be my last post in this thread. For the record, I challenge anyone to dig through every single one of my posts re: Tiger and I've never one single time said "HE'S BACK" unless it simply was when he played his first event of the year last year and that was only to announce that he was in fact playing. I don't know if he's going to dominate like he did before and who the hell really cares if I as a fan say he's not what he once was? Hell he may never win another event again as long as he lives, that would surprise me but it very well could happen, and you know what, I'll watch whoever they put on the TV in front of me. I just hate when people start arguing on the internet like there can be anything settled out of it, it is pointless to me. I do know one thing, just like 2011 seems to be the year of the driver in equipment the golf season this year will be every bit of as exciting as shopping for one of those clubs would be. I know I'll watch and enjoy it. But I'm not going to sit and read 300 pages about people calling over people out on the damn internet...I have better stuff to do.

I have better stuff to do.

Two things.

1. We both know thats a complete and total inaccurate statement.

2. Wouldnt last year have been the year that would have been the year of the tour since TW made his return from the escalade escapade?

Or are you saying that last year was a wash as he had so much going on that this year is the first year back in a fresh mind with a new coach (which I agree with).

Going to? He already has my friend. It's easy to get caught up in the "Tiger Watch" (little Ron Burgundy play on words), but I don't think he'll be the same, ever! Sure, the ball striking and putting and all that can come back, but the psychological advantage he had over his fellow competitors is long gone baby!

I agree that his psychological advantage over the field is gone but I don't think he choked in that last tournament. People who choke don't hit the ball stiff on 18 for the win, come up two clubs short on 18 with a 7-iron in your hand on 18, thats choking. Glad to see him back playing though, Tiger Woods is good for the game period, whether you like him or not he moves the dial and right now he is the only guy in the game who can.

I agree that his psychological advantage over the field is gone but I don't think he choked in that last tournament. People who choke don't hit the ball stiff on 18 for the win, come up two clubs short on 18 with a 7-iron in your hand on 18, thats choking. Glad to see him back playing though, Tiger Woods is good for the game period, whether you like him or not he moves the dial and right now he is the only guy in the game who can.

Absolutely right!

Tiger fans are quick to say he's back after every low round. How quick will the field be to say the same thing when Tiger wins a tournament or especially a major?

Back to a more important side of this is SAN DIEGO!

I'm dropping this debate until sometime in 2011 (probably before July) when I will come back to it and act like a spoiled brat :devil: telling you "I told you so!" :D

I see calling those who still believe in Tiger's ability "Screaming die-hards" as negativity - since you asked where the negativity was. Maybe you don't see it/intend it that way. Irregardless, THP is someplace I want to come to relax, learn about golf and make friends, and this discussion isn't taking me there. Perhaps I misread others intent in their comments, so I'll drop it with apologies and move on.

Two things.

1. We both know thats a complete and total inaccurate statement.

2. Wouldnt last year have been the year that would have been the year of the tour since TW made his return from the escalade escapade?

Or are you saying that last year was a wash as he had so much going on that this year is the first year back in a fresh mind with a new coach (which I agree with).
Nah, last year is definitely not a wash, heck the 2010 Masters was probably one of my favorite all time tournaments ever in fact, seeing Mickelson playing like that, then crying as he was hugging his wife when it was over....that's top stuff right there. I think that him coming back more focused than he was last year (and arguably ever) is definitely going to help him this year, that was clearly a big part of his issues. But that also doesn't mean I am making excuses for that so please don't try to tell me that next. 2010 was a heck of a year, the trials and tribulations of Dustin Johnson's majors were in and of itself great to watch, the final round of the U.S. Open was awesome as well, Pebble Beach, tons of the game's top names battling it out, and in the end a short Irish dude wins it, very very cool. The FedEx Cup was probably the best FedEx Cup we've had yet and seeing a tour staple like Furyk prevail was good stuff too. I'm just saying that right now you cannot possibly say who is playing the best golf among that new look top 5 in the world. It's funny though, despite all those great things happening in 2010 the one topic that still gets the most talk and case in point in this thread today, is Tiger. I think you're all Tiger "Fanboys" to be honest!

Last edited:
I'm dropping this debate until sometime in 2011 (probably before July) when I will come back to it and act like a spoiled brat :devil: telling you "I told you so!" :D

I see calling those who still believe in Tiger's ability "Screaming die-hards" as negativity - since you asked where the negativity was. Maybe you don't see it/intend it that way. Irregardless, THP is someplace I want to come to relax, learn about golf and make friends, and this discussion isn't taking me there. Perhaps I misread others intent in their comments, so I'll drop it with apologies and move on.

We would expect no less (ironically I have not seen TC nor myself say in this entire thread that he wont be back). But I do have to ask? You just said you want to come back here and say "I told you so" then why would anyone pointing out his pitfalls over the last 12 months be any different?

We would expect no less (ironically I have not seen TC nor myself say in this entire thread that he wont be back). But I do have to ask? You just said you want to come back here and say "I told you so" then why would anyone pointing out his pitfalls over the last 12 months be any different?
I completely agree with every single word of this post.

Spoiler
I think I just puked in my own mouth

Nah, last year is definitely not a wash, heck the 2010 Masters was probably one of my favorite all time tournaments ever in fact, seeing Mickelson playing like that, then crying as he was hugging his wife when it was over....that's top stuff right there. I think that him coming back more focused than he was last year (and arguably ever) is definitely going to help him this year, that was clearly a big part of his issues. But that also doesn't mean I am making excuses for that so please don't try to tell me that next. 2010 was a heck of a year, the trials and tribulations of Dustin Johnson's majors were in and of itself great to watch, the final round of the U.S. Open was awesome as well, Pebble Beach, tons of the game's top names battling it out, and in the end a short Irish dude wins it, very very cool. The FedEx Cup was probably the best FedEx Cup we've had yet and seeing a tour staple like Furyk prevail was good stuff too. I'm just saying that right now you cannot possibly say who is playing the best golf among that new look top 5 in the world. It's funny though, despite all those great things happening in 2010 the one topic that still gets the most talk and case in point in this thread today, is Tiger. I think you're all Tiger "Fanboys" to be honest!

Here is the million dollar question. What makes you think that? Is it because he is single? Because he didn't win last year? What makes you say that he will be more focused. I am genuinely curious here. What makes people say he returns and its a lock? It must be solely based on past performance right? Because while I think this was a trying year for Woods, I think the mental domination goes back to before this and Yang more than it does this past year. I have said all along that I believe he will be back to winning at some point and most likely sooner rather than later. But I dont think we will ever see that Tiger Slam guy that we saw. The talent pool is just too deep in my opinion.

I dont think anybody is making excuses, and I think only the true diehard fans of players or teams ever really make excuses. You make excuses when you dont do something right or get something done. We are not TW, therefore why make excuses.

I completely agree with every single word of this post.

Spoiler
I think I just puked in my own mouth

When you talk TW, everybody else becomes the voice of reason...hahahah

Ron Burgundy - "I'm Kind of a Big Deal".

So..... What constitutes a dominant year?

So..... What constitutes a dominant year?

Tiger has set the bar pretty high for himself. Anything less then muilitple wins that include at least one major is not dominant. Id say 4 wins including a major.

Here is the million dollar question. What makes you think that? Is it because he is single? Because he didn't win last year? What makes you say that he will be more focused. I am genuinely curious here. What makes people say he returns and its a lock? It must be solely based on past performance right? Because while I think this was a trying year for Woods, I think the mental domination goes back to before this and Yang more than it does this past year. I have said all along that I believe he will be back to winning at some point and most likely sooner rather than later. But I dont think we will ever see that Tiger Slam guy that we saw. The talent pool is just too deep in my opinion.

I dont think anybody is making excuses, and I think only the true diehard fans of players or teams ever really make excuses. You make excuses when you dont do something right or get something done. We are not TW, therefore why make excuses.
My guess is that all of the talk over the past 14 months or so has to just be burning at him to come back and prove to all the doubters that he is still the man. We know that he loves to prove a point when people publicly question his game so I can only assume that this has all just got him driven as much as he ever has been. That's all speculation on my part because I don't know him, I haven't heard him say any of this but I just think it more than anything.

I also believe you're exactly right about never seeing a Tiger Slam season out of him (or anyone else) and the main reason is exactly why you say, the talent pool is just too deep for these majors. There is no given that says even if he's focused on this and only this that he is just going to come back and perform. I think the YE Yang thing was definitely a little bit of an indication that he isn't the stone cold killer that he used to be with the lead. I don't know what'll happen but I know that I'm excited to see it all unfold!

My guess is that all of the talk over the past 14 months or so has to just be burning at him to come back and prove to all the doubters that he is still the man. We know that he loves to prove a point when people publicly question his game so I can only assume that this has all just got him driven as much as he ever has been. That's all speculation on my part because I don't know him, I haven't heard him say any of this but I just think it more than anything.

I also believe you're exactly right about never seeing a Tiger Slam season out of him (or anyone else) and the main reason is exactly why you say, the talent pool is just too deep for these majors. There is no given that says even if he's focused on this and only this that he is just going to come back and perform. I think the YE Yang thing was definitely a little bit of an indication that he isn't the stone cold killer that he used to be with the lead. I don't know what'll happen but I know that I'm excited to see it all unfold!

Great post and I agree with most of it. My only question is about all of it, is that wouldn't he have wanted to prove all the doubters wrong last year? And then we can say that it was about the personal issues and divorce. But even when that was final, we saw something in the last tourney we have not seen. So I think you are correct that he wants to show the world that he can put the hammer down. I have no doubt about it. I question whether he will be able to though like he once did. I have no doubt he will win again. Heck it could happen next week. Time will tell I guess.

I LOVE LAMP!

That is a good point, I'm sure his determination to win was there LAST year too....that's what made it odd to watch as a fan of his. Before all this Escalade Escapades took place if you told me he was within a stroke or so of the lead on the final round of BOTH the Masters and US Open and didn't win either of them I would have called you a liar.

That is a good point, I'm sure his determination to win was there LAST year too....that's what made it odd to watch as a fan of his. Before all this Escalade Escapades took place if you told me he was within a stroke or so of the lead on the final round of BOTH the Masters and US Open and didn't win either of them I would have called you a liar.

Me too doood. No way he does not close the door, even after the Yang thing, but some things may have changed. Not sure, time will tell.

Interesting banter......clearly, I was the problem here. I wasn't trying to hurt anyone's feelings or be negative about Tiger Woods and his fanboys. I get plenty of crap for being a Lee Westwood fan, I take it on the chin just fine, and I have done so for quite some time. Sorry P4B and Flooder, I was just trying to argue one side, it just happened not to be yours.

Interesting banter......clearly, I was the problem here. I wasn't trying to hurt anyone's feelings or be negative about Tiger Woods and his fanboys. I get plenty of crap for being a Lee Westwood fan, I take it on the chin just fine, and I have done so for quite some time. Sorry P4B and Flooder, I was just trying to argue one side, it just happened not to be yours.

You cannot say Tiger Woods and that bolded part in the same sentence and not laugh! Guaranteed!

I've dislike Tiger so much as a person that I still won't use any Nike Clubs due just to him playing them. Don't know what it is but I have so much dislike for him. Probably all the times I was ignored trying to get his autograph! :D

Yet, golf is so boring without him. Littlepingman and I talked about this on Sunday. Looking at the Leaderboard for Sundays Sony Open we were like who in the world really wants to watch that. Really its a snoozefest until someone with some fire or character is in an event. I mean I turn on tv if Tiger, Phil, DJ, Bubba, Fowler or someone that makes me want to watch it. Hell first event seemed like a Fall Series event where players are trying to keep/get their cards. I had tickets to McGladrey Classic that I actually paid for. The more I looked at the field I decided to go play in a scramble than go down to SI. It was boring on TV it would been even more painful to have seen that in person.

Watching someone like Stricker, Crane, Zach or ones that hit driver, iron, 1 or 2 putt, nod and go to next hole bores the crap out of me. I'm all for the driveable par 4's, 4 letter words, and some club throwing (not really). It just give golf some sort of extra entertainment that I want to watch. I have a short attention span and if someone isn't bombing it, throwing darts, and making 25 footers with fist pumps I don't care to watch it.

I don't care what others say.... Love him or hate him.... Tiger is the PGA Tour.

Hopefully you saw my last post TC, but in case not, my apologies for letting this get too heated. You are not "the problem" by any means and your opinion is always welcome and of interest to me.

Back